Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New to me Wakesetter Questions

ecb1984

I just picked up a 2000 Wakesetter today. Man do i have questions. Ha.

But mainly what should i do before I take it out for the first time in terms of maintenance and to make sure everything is good to go.

I have all the safety gear squared away including vhf, flares, pfd, etc.

Also this is my first boat so any advise would be excellent.

Thanks for any help.

There are alot of people on here that know more than me but the first thing I would say is if you have a friend that has a boat have him take you out on it and show you things. Also I would have it checked at your malibu dealer first to avoid having your first trip be a horrible one!!

Just in case you dont have them make sure you have all the ropes you need as well dock lines and bumpers and so forth to keep the boat looking nice!

Again I am sure others will know more than me but those things are a start! Congrats to you on your new boat!!

This might help you with the "Things" you need:

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/page/articles.html?record=12

As far as maintenance, If you don't have the history on the boat I would run a full service on it, change all fluids and filters, pretty much check everything so you have a baseline to go off. After that I would run it a bit in the driveway (on a hose of course) then take it out! If you have never driven a full in board before make sure you schedule some time to get used to it. I had only driven I/O's before my Malibu and it took a bit of getting used to...

Welcome to the board. Post up some pics of your WS :rockon:

Is there a good place online to find a how to for all the maintenance? Or maybe a service manual of some kind?

I will post up some pictures as soon as I get the boat all cleaned up. Good deal on the boat = a little more work for me.

And there is no Malibu dealer for about 6000 miles so i'm on my own for repairs and service. Gotta love Hawaii.

Thanks for all the advise so far.

My two cents:

After you address the mechanical issues raised in other post, pick a time to take it out when the launch is calm and there aren't a bunch of people/boats and kids shooting around. That'll give you a chance to learn how to jockey the boat around at slow speeds and not worry about a bunch of other boat traffic and the inevitable wakes that are generated.

Congrats on your new boat! - Charlie

My two cents:

After you address the mechanical issues raised in other post, pick a time to take it out when the launch is calm and there aren't a bunch of people/boats and kids shooting around. That'll give you a chance to learn how to jockey the boat around at slow speeds and not worry about a bunch of other boat traffic and the inevitable wakes that are generated.

Congrats on your new boat! - Charlie

:plus1:

Take the boat out on a week day when there's no one around. Go out to a big open space on the lake and throw a float in the water. Maneuver the boat around the float as if you are docking, picking up a rider, etc... Practice until you get it down. Have fun! :cheers:

Edit: oops...I just noticed you are from Hawaii so I doubt there are many lakes around. :blush: I guess you should be able to find some open space in the Pacific Ocean. :whistle:

Edited by mcbean7