Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Suggestions on How to Improve Wave?

jeremyk

I took the boat out on Sunday and wasn't happy at all with the wave it was putting out so I had a buddy film a bit so I could share here.

Speed 12mph (not GPS verified), Wedge down all the way, Full MLS except for non-surf side, 1100lb Fly High bag in rear locker, 800lbs VAB divided from front to back as follows: 280, 360, 160.

Any suggestions on how to improve the wave my 23LSV puts out? The water was pretty rough on the lake so don't know how much that contributed to it.

Thanks for and suggestions.

Cheers,

Jeremy

YO J, Hard to help you when the video is locked! The first thing I would try is getting rid of the wedge. The goofy side doesn't always need it. Yes rough water will make a huge difference.

I took the boat out on Sunday and wasn't happy at all with the wave it was putting out so I had a buddy film a bit so I could share here.

Speed 12mph (not GPS verified), Wedge down all the way, Full MLS except for non-surf side, 1100lb Fly High bag in rear locker, 800lbs VAB divided from front to back as follows: 280, 360, 160.

Any suggestions on how to improve the wave my 23LSV puts out? The water was pretty rough on the lake so don't know how much that contributed to it.

Thanks for and suggestions.

Cheers,

Jeremy

wave is nice as it is. three things you could try are a sac on the seat 500lbs should do or strap a four hundred pound sac to your platform or add some lead weight under your sacs in your compartments. i ran that boat with a 750 in the locker 750 on the floor 750 on the seat a four hundred in the nose plus the factory ballast. the boat did not need all of that weight.

one other thing. your wedge gauge has wake size written around the white arc that indicates safe wedge operating range. try putting the wedge up by the k in wake size. this will make the wave taller, speed the boat up for a very long tall wave.

surf is upClap.gif

YO J, Hard to help you when the video is locked! The first thing I would try is getting rid of the wedge. The goofy side doesn't always need it. Yes rough water will make a huge difference.

Locked? Damn. I checked and double checked the settings when uploading and still got it wrong :Doh: Should be fixed now.

ok to be honest there is nothing wrong with that wave.... The lake was just rough as all get out. if you wanted to try a little more take your 360 280 and 160 and ru them in that order from back to front. so 360 0n the seat. 280 on the floor next to the seat and the 160 in the bow..

ok to be honest there is nothing wrong with that wave.... The lake was just rough as all get out. if you wanted to try a little more take your 360 280 and 160 and ru them in that order from back to front. so 360 0n the seat. 280 on the floor next to the seat and the 160 in the bow..

Still try for wedge all the way up too?

wave is nice as it is. three things you could try are a sac on the seat 500lbs should do or strap a four hundred pound sac to your platform or add some lead weight under your sacs in your compartments. i ran that boat with a 750 in the locker 750 on the floor 750 on the seat a four hundred in the nose plus the factory ballast. the boat did not need all of that weight.

one other thing. your wedge gauge has wake size written around the white arc that indicates safe wedge operating range. try putting the wedge up by the k in wake size. this will make the wave taller, speed the boat up for a very long tall wave.

surf is upClap.gif

Thanks Rhino. I will try some of the wedge settings you suggested. We usually run with a fairly full boat so trying to add sacks on the seat really isn't an option.

Thanks Rhino. I will try some of the wedge settings you suggested. We usually run with a fairly full boat so trying to add sacks on the seat really isn't an option.

Sacs on the seats sucks, I'd avoid it at all costs. I had to go to the custom sac to get away from it, I hated them. I run my boat 2 or 3 clicks up from the bottom for the wedge. I wouldn't run it any further up than that it starts to get washy at the lip.

Yeah, the wave looks good. I think you can get a bit more, bit it doesn't get much better. Just remember that slower = taller and faster = longer. You have a pretty long pocket, but there is a bit of room for improvement.

Play around with everything, just do it slow. Move down .2 MPH and ride that for a few minutes. Same with the wedge - move it one notch and try it for awhile before changing it. To really get a sense for the wake, I need to drive and see it in the mirror and ride it myself.

Following Rhino's advice, I've been moving my weight back and my speed up. We are running at 11.2 now and still moving up. However, for certain tricks and new riders I slow down to give them a taller wake.

If it's legal in WA, put someone on the sun deck/swim platform. You simply will not believe how much of a difference a 160 pound person can make moving from the rear seat to the sun deck. If you can't sit back there, put a sac back there.

Your wake looks pretty clean, so I'm assuming you had all of the VAB on the surf side. If not, make sure any weight you can move is on the surf side. The more you can list the boat the better. On my 23, I find that steering doesn't matter, but it may on goofy side. Steer slightly right for a bit, then slightly left and see if it makes a difference in the wake.

If you've got good list a rough lake doesn't affect the size of the wake overall.

my wife an i have put over 2000 hours on malibus over the last five years. over that time you learn that a sac can me much better than several V.A.B.'s (voice activated ballast). Maybe the Mrs. and I are getting more selfish with our time. I would suggest a custom sac. zack at bakes marine has the measurements for your boat. i would get one and get it plumbed in. my boat is completely automated. we dont play with tsunami pumps. we just flip the switches to fill up my fat b itches.... try your wedge in various positions until you come up with a wedge speed combo that produces the longest tallest and most powerful wave for your boat.

Sacs on the seats sucks, I'd avoid it at all costs. I had to go to the custom sac to get away from it, I hated them. I run my boat 2 or 3 clicks up from the bottom for the wedge. I wouldn't run it any further up than that it starts to get washy at the lip.

agreed. agreed. each boat is different. i think a sac on the seat (though my boat does not need them) is a great way to go if you have a small crew and really want to maximize the capability of your wave machine. some wedge settings on your boat would not be the same as my boat. as you already know this has to deal with wedge calibration and variation over computer modules and software.

Edited by Rhino