Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Electrical Problem 2000 Sunsetter Lxi

joecamel465

I am new to the forum. I experienced an unusual problem today on the lake and thought I would open a discussion in hopes that someone could help me pinpoint the fault. I put our 2000 Sunsetter Lxi in the water and it ran perfect (as usual) to pull the first skier. As I turned the ignition key in an attempt to restart the motor to tow the second skier, I got nothing. Note that the stereo was on at the time I turned the ignition key and it went dead simultaneously. When I turn the ignition switch, it behaved like the situation you encounter when the throttle lever is not in neutral (although it would not explain the stereo going dead). I verified the throttle was in neutral without success. Next, I verified that all of the circuit breakers below the throttle were depressed, as well as, the 50 amp red circuit breaker back by the ECM on the aft RHS of the engine. In trying to determine the cause of the failure, I attempted to turn on every switch on the dash and nothing had power; not the bilge pump, not the blower, not the heater, not the running or interior lights, nor the stereo. After getting back to a dock (paddling sucks big time), I pulled the battery thinking that something might have happened to it although I had no idea what. I had it checked at an automotive supply store and everything checked out as good. The battery voltage read 12.96 VDC showed that it tested good. I put the battery back in the boat just to prove to myself that it was not the battery terminal connections and ended up with the same results, nothing!! At that point, we called it a short day at the lake and pulled the boat out of the water. My next step is to start chasing the wiring, but I cannot imagine how I could have an electrical short and not have every circuit breaker in the boat tripped.

Sounds like something simple, and close in the circuit to the battery. If the battery is good, and NOTHING works, it is a breaker/fuse on the main power source. Littlejohn will know the answer to this one--wait until he pipes in!

Possible that a CB is internally faulty but looks ok from outside. Pull CB box cover off & test for voltage at the circuit breakers ( you should have 12+ volts on the in and out side of the CB ). A cheap multi/volt meter from auto store is a must in your boat kit.

Check your earths. If unsure run a test wire from battery earth to earth block under dash.

Check your voltages at all switches, connections, etc.

The ignition lockout switch ( throttle position ) may have come loose, worn or have some water ingress. Check the multi-plug connector for corrosion/wear/tightness.

Undo, inspect and refit ALL multi plug connections.

Hope this gives you somewhere to start.

I am new to the forum. I experienced an unusual problem today on the lake and thought I would open a discussion in hopes that someone could help me pinpoint the fault. I put our 2000 Sunsetter Lxi in the water and it ran perfect (as usual) to pull the first skier. As I turned the ignition key in an attempt to restart the motor to tow the second skier, I got nothing. Note that the stereo was on at the time I turned the ignition key and it went dead simultaneously. When I turn the ignition switch, it behaved like the situation you encounter when the throttle lever is not in neutral (although it would not explain the stereo going dead). I verified the throttle was in neutral without success. Next, I verified that all of the circuit breakers below the throttle were depressed, as well as, the 50 amp red circuit breaker back by the ECM on the aft RHS of the engine. In trying to determine the cause of the failure, I attempted to turn on every switch on the dash and nothing had power; not the bilge pump, not the blower, not the heater, not the running or interior lights, nor the stereo. After getting back to a dock (paddling sucks big time), I pulled the battery thinking that something might have happened to it although I had no idea what. I had it checked at an automotive supply store and everything checked out as good. The battery voltage read 12.96 VDC showed that it tested good. I put the battery back in the boat just to prove to myself that it was not the battery terminal connections and ended up with the same results, nothing!! At that point, we called it a short day at the lake and pulled the boat out of the water. My next step is to start chasing the wiring, but I cannot imagine how I could have an electrical short and not have every circuit breaker in the boat tripped.

Possible that a CB is internally faulty but looks ok from outside. Pull CB box cover off & test for voltage at the circuit breakers ( you should have 12+ volts on the in and out side of the CB ). A cheap multi/volt meter from auto store is a must in your boat kit.

Check your earths. If unsure run a test wire from battery earth to earth block under dash.

Check your voltages at all switches, connections, etc.

The ignition lockout switch ( throttle position ) may have come loose, worn or have some water ingress. Check the multi-plug connector for corrosion/wear/tightness.

Undo, inspect and refit ALL multi plug connections.

Hope this gives you somewhere to start.

• 9 years later...