Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Steering Issue

jetskipro550

Okay, so it turns right but it's an absolute bear to do it. Turns left no problem....

- Only happens when on a plane

- Doesn't matter if the boat is weighted or not.

- The steering cable isn't bad, I had one go bad on our last boat and this is a different feeling.

- On the trailer the rudder moves easily by hand and using the wheel.

- Not a problem at slow speeds but really just about anything over 20 MPH.

- No visual imperfections or dents on the rudder, prop, skags, etc...

- Prop sounds like its cavitation when I try to turn right

This problem is new as of a few weeks ago. Any idea what I may be dealing with?

On trailer the steering is loose and easy like it normal. At no point does it catch, bind, or become hard to turn. I can easily turn the rudder by hand as well.

Something else I should mention, the prop sounds like it's cavitation when I try to turn right...it's really weird!

Do you have an adjusting tab on your rudder?

It sounds like maybe it got way out of whack if you have one and it's loaded too much. The items that made me think of this are "only when on plane" and the "sounds like cavitation" when turning right.

It sounds like maybe it got way out of whack if you have one and it's loaded too much. The items that made me think of this are "only when on plane" and the "sounds like cavitation" when turning right.

:plus1:

Tracking fins?

They look straight...but not sure if that means anything

Does the rudder pinch in the packing when under load?

Not sure, how would I check this?

No adjustments that I can see.

did the sanger crew offer any suggestions? Innocent.gifCrazy.gif

sorry couldn't resist.

No, but the crew is doing better then ww with my question :)

I recall a guy at the lake having a similar issue with his Tige when making a tight turn at the end of the slalom course...ended up being low on transmission fluid, causing the cavitation issue only when he turned hard (don't recall if it was left or right). I'd start there...

Does the rudder pinch in the packing when under load?

Kinda what I was thinking, like maybe the shaft or maybe the top of the rudder is binding a bit while under load. Try this: when the boat is on the trailer, have someone pull a bit on the rudder while you try to turn the steering wheel. Also, does the rudder have any play in it at all?