Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

05 VRIDE

ryansgt

I know the 05 vlx has the under floor ballast tanks in the lockers. Does the vride have the tanks alove floor hard tanks like the 04 vlx or did it go below floor.

If your weighing things out to purchase just remember it is super easy to pull out the hard tanks and plumb in 750s. Can be done in 1-2 hours depending how handy you are.

If your weighing things out to purchase just remember it is super easy to pull out the hard tanks and plumb in 750s. Can be done in 1-2 hours depending how handy you are.

Yeah, I'd say an hour. Just did mine and it was super easy (with the wakemakers kit so I didn't have to do any cutting of hoses, etc).

Though I will say that the surf wake was better with the tanks plus a 750 than it is with just the plumped up 750 back there. Sorta wish I'd have gone with the 1100 surf sack. Oh well.

Yeah, I'd say an hour. Just did mine and it was super easy (with the wakemakers kit so I didn't have to do any cutting of hoses, etc).

Though I will say that the surf wake was better with the tanks plus a 750 than it is with just the plumped up 750 back there. Sorta wish I'd have gone with the 1100 surf sack. Oh well.

I don't know I think mine is pretty dialed actually. Do you plumb a vent line with that kit? Just curious.

I don't know I think mine is pretty dialed actually. Do you plumb a vent line with that kit? Just curious.

Yes, but I'm thinking about putting a plug in it instead. Seems like it would fill a little more.

Yes, but I'm thinking about putting a plug in it instead. Seems like it would fill a little more.

Let me know how it goes.......I have been thinking of doing the opposite and removing the plug and running the vent line.

Do you just watch it to see when it's full?

I tried filling mine and then sticking a 150 brick back on top of it and the 750 on the bottom drained out pretty sigificantly before I noticed. So I do need to do something to keep it full.

I am pretty handy, so you think I could fit the hard tank + a 750 in there. I am comparing for a purchase. I was already looking to pull the hard tank and thorw the 750's in there. About how much room is left with no hard tank and a 750?

Do you just watch it to see when it's full?

I tried filling mine and then sticking a 150 brick back on top of it and the 750 on the bottom drained out pretty sigificantly before I noticed. So I do need to do something to keep it full.

I am pretty handy, so you think I could fit the hard tank + a 750 in there. I am comparing for a purchase. I was already looking to pull the hard tank and thorw the 750's in there. About how much room is left with no hard tank and a 750?

I was "told" that the whole locker would be full. Not so much. I'd say it's 2/3 full? I think there's nearly as much storage with a full 750 back there as there is with a hard tank. With the hard tank in and filling the 750 in the remaining area, the 750 doesn't get all the way full because it can't plump out. There's still room above that to even part way fill a 400 sack on top. That's why I was saying the 1100 surf sack would've probably been a better choice for me than the 750 because the surf sack would come closer to filling the whole locker.

Is there really a big differnce in the wave if I were to use a 1100lbs instead of the 750lbs sac. Is it taller and/or longer. I have an 04 VLX with a 750lbs sac but would consider putting in a 1100lbs sac if the wave is really that much better. I surf regular. Does anyone have a pic of a 750sac wave compared to a 1100lbs wave.

Thx, Pete

Is there really a big differnce in the wave if I were to use a 1100lbs instead of the 750lbs sac. Is it taller and/or longer. I have an 04 VLX with a 750lbs sac but would consider putting in a 1100lbs sac if the wave is really that much better. I surf regular. Does anyone have a pic of a 750sac wave compared to a 1100lbs wave.

Thx, Pete

I've not tried an 1100, just the stock tanks plus a 750 and a 400 as full as they would go (not FULL). That wave is definitely bigger and steeper than with 750 in the locker plus 400 and 150 brick on the seat. Goofy wave though too, not regular.

With our 750 bags full there is approx 6-8" space at the top of the locker. This is with the hard tanks removed. I am guessing the bag is holding 700lbs. We were doing the hard tank plus bag before but as shawndoggy says the bag wasn't filling completely. I am guessing either way there is about 700lbs in the locker.

With our 750 bags full there is approx 6-8" space at the top of the locker. This is with the hard tanks removed. I am guessing the bag is holding 700lbs. We were doing the hard tank plus bag before but as shawndoggy says the bag wasn't filling completely. I am guessing either way there is about 700lbs in the locker.

Maybe the difference with the tanks is that the weight is more vertically stacked on the side of the boat? Dunno. I do no the wave isn't quite as good as what I was getting before the retrofit.

750 dimensions are 50x20x20. 1100 dimensions are 50x24x24. Assume you can get 4" more height in the bag, but no more width. The additional volume (over the 750) would be 50x4x20 = 4,000 cubic inches = 17.316 gallons = 145 lbs.

I am lucky to get a few life vests on top of it when its full. Water comes out of the drain line when its full and will trickle constantly. I just hit the fill switch occasionally to keep it topped off.

I have an 08 Vride and we surf with the hard tank + 750lbs sack in the locker. Each time after surfing the surf side locker is very wet. Water gets in from somewhere. I spend a lot of effort removing everything from that locker, stomping the carpet with a towel, leaving the locker open, etc. Do any of you with this hull have the same problems?

I have considered removing the hard tank and plumbing the sac, but I'm concerned that the sac will cover more carpet area accentuating the moisture issue and making it more difficult for me to get the carpet dry after surfing. I don't want moldly or musty carpet back there. For those of you that have done the swap has moisture been an issue?

Our rear locker has been wet, on the port side, when weighted/surfing on that side. As near as I can tell it seems to primarily leak in through the top side of the locker at the transom if I don't slow down just right after surfer falls. Only the rear corner/back third is wet, but it has been pretty soaked at times.

Starboard side (surfing goofy) hasn't had this issue.

Our rear locker has been wet, on the port side, when weighted/surfing on that side. As near as I can tell it seems to primarily leak in through the top side of the locker at the transom if I don't slow down just right after surfer falls. Only the rear corner/back third is wet, but it has been pretty soaked at times.

Starboard side (surfing goofy) hasn't had this issue.

Same here.....like I say, I think my wake is pretty dialed and I don't think adding more weight to the corner is a good idea. After a good day, we have had probably like a gallon of water.

I have watched it splash constantly right onto the hinge for the rear compartment.

I have an 08 Vride and we surf with the hard tank + 750lbs sack in the locker. Each time after surfing the surf side locker is very wet. Water gets in from somewhere. I spend a lot of effort removing everything from that locker, stomping the carpet with a towel, leaving the locker open, etc. Do any of you with this hull have the same problems?

I have considered removing the hard tank and plumbing the sac, but I'm concerned that the sac will cover more carpet area accentuating the moisture issue and making it more difficult for me to get the carpet dry after surfing. I don't want moldly or musty carpet back there. For those of you that have done the swap has moisture been an issue?

Actually you might be better off as water will still get under the hard tank....with just the sack you can pull it out.

Double check your fittings on the hard tank to make sure you don't have one that is cracked. I had an '05 vRide and ended up replacing every fitting for the rear hard tanks before I finally pulled them out and replaced them with 750's. It's probably water splashing in, but it doesn't hurt to check.

the 1100 sac is to wide for the 04 and older vlx or the vride. if you try to fill it all the way it will brake or crack the divider between the locker and engine bay. i run 750'S and if u need more weight just take some of ur overweight friend and have them sit on the sides....for the water getting in to the lockers if its not the hoses, pull back the carpet and check if the screws from the rub rails are loose. mine took in alot of water thru the rub rail cause the screws were loose or missing."only while surfing since the rubrail is under water when ballast are full.