Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Service engine warning

OK, i bought my bu in march of this year and overall have been very pleased. The only issue i've seen is a service engine waring that has poped up a few times. So i took the boat to a local mechanic who has been working on bu's for a long time and comes highly recomended. The boat was running fine other that the warning and it only came on a few times when i got it over 40mph. the mechanic replaced the distributor after he found a crack, the boat ran terrible after that and the warning light came on almost imediatly after i got it out of idle, i had him come back out and look at it again. he then changed out all my plugs and said it was a fouled plug. The boat then idled better and i took it out for a run and immediatly took it up 40mph, we'll wouldn't ya know it the service engine warning comes on. After cursing for a minute, I ran the boat for the rest of the day even wakeboarding for awhile with no issues but as soon as i get over 40 the warning comes on again. So now i'm right back to where i started and have a bill for almost $500 bucks, anyone had similar issues. Its obvious the mechanic doesn't know what it is and he's just guessing. I really cant afford to play this game and let him replace everything in sight. If anyne else has experinced this let me know I'd like to get it figured out. I don't drive over 40 often but feel like i shouldn't be ignoring the warnings. I'd take it to another shop but feel like this guy need to make this right since i'm still having the same issues i asked him to correct.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Have you checked thru your screen menu to see what the active code says? I have had trouble with O2 sensors failing on the cats. It brings up the serv req'd everytime Boat runs fine though....just a nuisance clearing the screen every time.

Dave

Have you checked thru your screen menu to see what the active code says? I have had trouble with O2 sensors failing on the cats. It brings up the serv req'd everytime Boat runs fine though....just a nuisance clearing the screen every time.

Dave

I did last week and it said cylinder 1 misfire, that was before the new plugs. I'm planning on taking it out one night this week and will check what the new codes are to se if it's the same issue. Thanks

Edited by jcon44

I know you're having problems with your autowedge too, any chance that has anything to do with it? Sounds crazy and unrelated but I remember a post about a guy with a wedge problem and it was throwing a code some how...

I did last week and it said cylinder 1 misfire, that was before the new plugs. I'm planning on taking it out one night this week and will check what the new codes are to se if it's the same issue. Thanks

I too had misfires that led to failed O2 sensors. If they are failed the code will read OxyA1 Rich or B1Rich and they will show up in the inactive menu as well. I changed the cap, rotor, plugs and wires, and still misfired and blew a sensor this summer.

Dave

I too had misfires that led to failed O2 sensors. If they are failed the code will read OxyA1 Rich or B1Rich and they will show up in the inactive menu as well. I changed the cap, rotor, plugs and wires, and still misfired and blew a sensor this summer.

Dave

if you have a miss fire code on a injected motor, it could be a dirty injector making the cylinder lean and that will throw a miss fire code.

if you have a miss fire code on a injected motor, it could be a dirty injector making the cylinder lean and that will throw a miss fire code.

Great info....thanks. What is the best way to clean injectors?....I can't remember if both misfires I have had were on the same cylinder.

Dave