Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fun Weekend but some damage

InvisibleMask

So another good weekend on the boat but this time we had some damage. I don't think there's ever been damage on the boat with every trip until now and it just so happens we took my daughter (20 yr old) and her friends. We were exhausted by the end of the trip. It was one of those were it was just easier to do it all yourself instead of explaining each detail to someone only to get it wrong anyway.

So, here's the damage.

1) mixed drink spilled on carpet (red)

2) scuff in vinyl on back seat area (not a tear but a scuff)

3) someone playing with fireworks and set them on the swimstep and left small burn marks

4) makeup stained vinyl where its white (this should come out)

5) One of the pins that hold the swimstep in is now missing. I asked someone to get that side while I do the other but they didn't hook it, just stuck the pin in and walked away.

So I decided that was the last trip like that. Four 20 year olds, 2 9 year olds, my wife, my mom, a baby.

What was I thinking !!!!

Anyway, does anyone know where I can get one of those swimstep pins?

Oh, forgot to mention.

While pulling the boat on the trailer, which is usually no trouble at all, this time the boat got sideways and the prop hit the trailer. I'm still confused how that happened, the trailer wasn't too deep and not deep enough as a matter of fact. It put a very slight ding in the prop on each blade but the boat runs flawlessly still so I didn't worry about it.

fireworks on the swimstep would have put me into a murderous rage

<<< it would look something like my avatar

Edited by stroker-ace

Oh, forgot to mention.

While pulling the boat on the trailer, which is usually no trouble at all, this time the boat got sideways and the prop hit the trailer. I'm still confused how that happened, the trailer wasn't too deep and not deep enough as a matter of fact. It put a very slight ding in the prop on each blade but the boat runs flawlessly still so I didn't worry about it.

That almost always happens when thn the ramp is steep and the trailer is in too deep. On a steep ramp I like to start with the trailer shallow and have the driver back it in gradually while easing the boat up on to the bunks with a little power. takes some communications with the driver, but it works out great. I have done the same thing to my prop on a steep ramp before.

This ramp isn't steep and the trailer was not in deep enough. Usually the driver goes in too deep but I told my wife this time just barely put the fenders under water. I drove the boat slowly up the trailer and it wouldn't budge with about 4 feet to go. So we backed in more, but not much more, and somehow the boat got sideways and when I gassed it I heard a thump and that was it. I'm guessing we had too many people in the boat and they were mostly on one side of the boat causing it to sit funny. I'm blaming my passengers on this one too :crazy:

As for the fireworks, I think they were those handheld sparklers and they walked by the boat throwing sparks and about 5 landed on the swimstep. It's not as bad as it sounds but I can see like 5 small black dots on the step.

It was one of those weekends that I was happy that it ended.

thanks for the info about Bakes. I need to order some other stuff too so its all good.

Try peroxide on the carpet stains if a rug scrubber won't work.

Someone told me about this stuff called Folex. This stuff is amazing, best cleaner I've ever used for carpets or stains on furniture.

If this doesn't clean it I will be surprised and then I'll try the peroxide, thanks.

Oh, and Duckys is some amazing stuff to for water spots. Water/vinegar is a joke compared to Duckys.

The fireworks would have been my breaking point. Most of the other stuff happens even when we're careful. That's one reason I liked having an older boat -- if I paid even half of full retail on a newer boat my kids would never set foot in it! Good luck in getting everything cleaned up. Don't think you'll have any problems (except the fireworks burns).

Sounds like you had a time like mine. I just got all the crackers and pretzels out of the cushions! I need to clean and fluff my carpet. Hoping the home cleaner will work out well with some fabric softener in a spray bottle.

I just seen the platform pins at WalMart Saturday morning. In the boating section. I was surprised to see them there.

Cool, I'll check over there first, thanks.

You had red drink, fireworks and make-up on the boat at the same time and wonder how something happened????? :oops:

Haha... the fireworks were done in my driveway while the boat was parked. No way would I let anyone light anything ON the boat. I told everyone not to even think about getting near the boat with fireworks but someone did. Probably the person who wasn't present at the time I insisted to keep away.

As for the makeup, I didn't get a chance to inspect the bags the girls were bringing on so it got past me.

The red drink, yeah partially my fault. I knew it was in a cooler mixed with alcohol but assumed it wouldn't spill. it leaked out of the cooler. Never make that mistake again.

By the way, I hate it when people fill up their cups about 1 minute before we start taking off across a choppy lake. Thats another rule, don't open anything or fill up any cups before take off. Wait till we anchor or park it then drink away. I think I need to document my rules and then stand on the bow and read each one off outloud and then have everyone swear on a bible to follow these rules before the day begins.

This ramp isn't steep and the trailer was not in deep enough. Usually the driver goes in too deep but I told my wife this time just barely put the fenders under water. I drove the boat slowly up the trailer and it wouldn't budge with about 4 feet to go. So we backed in more, but not much more, and somehow the boat got sideways and when I gassed it I heard a thump and that was it. I'm guessing we had too many people in the boat and they were mostly on one side of the boat causing it to sit funny. I'm blaming my passengers on this one too :crazy:

As for the fireworks, I think they were those handheld sparklers and they walked by the boat throwing sparks and about 5 landed on the swimstep. It's not as bad as it sounds but I can see like 5 small black dots on the step.

It was one of those weekends that I was happy that it ended.

thanks for the info about Bakes. I need to order some other stuff too so its all good.

Never load a boat onto the trailer with passengers in it. Allow only a driver and one other person "for weight balance" make everyone else exit at the dock!

Never load a boat onto the trailer with passengers in it. Allow only a driver and one other person "for weight balance" make everyone else exit at the dock!

Honestly, I don't think it matters. I mean, the guide rails are there to keep the boat straight. The boat is supported by the trailer boards so its not like weight in the boat is going to make it sit lower. And once its halfway on it should be forced to go somewhat straight because of the hull and the way the trailer is made. I've always had people in the boat loading and unloading off the trailer and never ever had issues. I think this time I just came in crooked and the boat just didn't level out in time for the prop to clear.

By the way, those swimstep pins are not at walmart as someone suggested. Looks like I'll order from Bakes.

Honestly, I don't think it matters.

Same here.

I launch and load the boat on the trailer with up to 6 adults on board. No problem. And, I'm not even in the boat.

My G.F. is driving it on and off the trailer, I'm just the schumck that gets to walk up and down the ramp twice a day to get the G.D. truck. :crazy: