Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

A new rule on the boat...

hvl2010

No more kids under 5 on the boat, unless they come from a boating family....

Last weekend, friends came down and their kid caught his swimsuit on the VTX badge sliding down the rear of the boat, bending it slightly. The he leaned on the transom remote for the stereo turning the volume all the way up!

The past weekend, my niece brings her son, and while I am under the boat, I hear the bilge and blower turn on. F-in kid is messing around at the helm and not one person is in the boat with him. Had to yell in front of his mom and grandma and tell him that was off limits. He too then leans on the remote and turns the volume all the way up. Then to cap off the weekend he takes the afformentioned VTX badge and just pulls it off. Luckily he did not drop it.

Nothing permanent damagewise, but man....what is it with kids/parents? I never thought I would need to consider taking the key out of the dash and not running the stereo with guests aboard. At least the first family bought us dinner on the lake and the family brought food to coook with them.

Last weekend, friends came down and their kid caught his swimsuit on the VTX badge sliding down the rear of the boat, bending it slightly. The he leaned on the transom remote for the stereo turning the volume all the way up!

The past weekend, my niece brings her son, and while I am under the boat, I hear the bilge and blower turn on. F-in kid is messing around at the helm and not one person is in the boat with him. Had to yell in front of his mom and grandma and tell him that was off limits. He too then leans on the remote and turns the volume all the way up. Then to cap off the weekend he takes the afformentioned VTX badge and just pulls it off. Luckily he did not drop it.

Nothing permanent damagewise, but man....what is it with kids/parents? I never thought I would need to consider taking the key out of the dash and not running the stereo with guests aboard. At least the first family bought us dinner on the lake and the family brought food to coook with them.

That is a key part. One of our regular crew has 3 little girls that they bring with them all of the time. They have all grown up on boats and go out in their own all of the time with me joining them. They have snacks and such, but they know how to act on a boat.

First, you have to realize the kids don’t know, but the parents shouldn’t just expect to let them run wild or assume you’ll watch them is no different than at your house. Additional eyes are always helpful but to jump on your boat, but at the end of the day it’s the parent’s responsibility to control their behavior and explain the dos and don’ts depending upon age. On the flip side if they rarely get an opportunity they won’t learn the rules. Young kids on boats is exhausting but then becomes rewarding to see them progress and love the sport. I would however, talk w/ the parents before they come out again, remember they are kids things do happen, but the parents should know what the rules are and not expect you to babysit while out on the water. All the issues you mentioned imho could have been avoided w/ more parental awareness.

My sister-in-law has been asking me to take my nephew on the boat since he was 1 year old. :crazy: He is now 2.5 years old and she still asks. My first question is "does he know how to swim yet?". Second question, "do you have insurance for something like that?". Third question, "do you have any idea what kind of liability that puts me under?".

She always says the same thing ..."but he would have so much fun. c'mon. you're no fun".

Needless to say, with that kind of attitude, he would instantly become my responsibility as soo as he got on the boat. People just dont realize how dangerous boats can be. I wouldnt even let her child in a pool if he has not had swimming lessons. I had a friend loose his 2 year old in his pool. You cannot imagine the tragedy. I take children and water VERY seriously.

I totally understand your frustration but keep in mind that what you have described is not`t that big of a deal. Adults lean on the remote every now and then and the badge well that was avoidable its not a big deal. I always have a 15 minute pow wow with children at the dock I explain all the rules and the fact that what the captain says goes period! If the captain asks them to do something they do it immediately with out question. I also inform them that if they can`t follow the rules they will be taken home immediately. I explain how dangerous a boat is ropes, props ,etc. I am very nice about it and most of time they get it. I do all of this in front of the parents so the parents get the hint that I mean business. In all my boating career I have only had to take one family back. The child just would not listen and the parent agreed. Needless to say he learned his lesson and the next time out he passed with flying colors. Children (and some adults) in general need guidance along with a little reminder. Remember boating is about having fun and making memories. the hard part is that it is a very dangerous environment and has to be treated with respect. kids will learn but there are alot of rules for a 200 square foot space.

I totally understand your frustration but keep in mind that what you have described is not`t that big of a deal. Adults lean on the remote every now and then and the badge well that was avoidable its not a big deal. I always have a 15 minute pow wow with children at the dock I explain all the rules and the fact that what the captain says goes period! If the captain asks them to do something they do it immediately with out question. I also inform them that if they can`t follow the rules they will be taken home immediately. I explain how dangerous a boat is ropes, props ,etc. I am very nice about it and most of time they get it. I do all of this in front of the parents so the parents get the hint that I mean business. In all my boating career I have only had to take one family back. The child just would not listen and the parent agreed. Needless to say he learned his lesson and the next time out he passed with flying colors. Children (and some adults) in general need guidance along with a little reminder. Remember boating is about having fun and making memories. the hard part is that it is a very dangerous environment and has to be treated with respect. kids will learn but there are alot of rules for a 200 square foot space.

This is exactly what I do. I also make sure the parents are standing there as well because they need to know the rules as well.....how else are they going to enforce them?

First, you have to realize the kids don't know, but the parents shouldn't just expect to let them run wild or assume you'll watch them is no different than at your house. Additional eyes are always helpful but to jump on your boat, but at the end of the day it's the parent's responsibility to control their behavior and explain the dos and don'ts depending upon age. On the flip side if they rarely get an opportunity they won't learn the rules. Young kids on boats is exhausting but then becomes rewarding to see them progress and love the sport. I would however, talk w/ the parents before they come out again, remember they are kids things do happen, but the parents should know what the rules are and not expect you to babysit while out on the water. All the issues you mentioned imho could have been avoided w/ more parental awareness.

Good advice. It is rewarding to watch kids learn and grow, creating future watersports addicts.

My sister-in-law has been asking me to take my nephew on the boat since he was 1 year old. Crazy.gif He is now 2.5 years old and she still asks. My first question is "does he know how to swim yet?". Second question, "do you have insurance for something like that?". Third question, "do you have any idea what kind of liability that puts me under?".

She always says the same thing ..."but he would have so much fun. c'mon. you're no fun".

Needless to say, with that kind of attitude, he would instantly become my responsibility as soo as he got on the boat. People just dont realize how dangerous boats can be. I wouldnt even let her child in a pool if he has not had swimming lessons. I had a friend loose his 2 year old in his pool. You cannot imagine the tragedy. I take children and water VERY seriously.

All kisd whither from a boating family or not should be tought how to swim,. some one asking you to take a kid to the lake with out knowing how to swim is trying to get there kid killed! Just my opinion.

My rule is, no idiots regardless of age :biggrin:

I concur! I like having the remote active on the back of the boat for the purpose intended. I wish there was some way to "lock" the panel like on a smart phone to keep buttons from being pushed.

It was hot/humid and I was not really in the mood for company on Saturday after working in my garage all morning. I like having people out to enjoy the water, but it just wasn't a good day for that. We were out the night before with a family from down the lake. We taught the wife how to wakeboard (experienced skier) on her second try. Then we just chilled after dark with some brews and the nice underwater LEDs. That's my kinda day!

i'm almost 26 and i feel like this whenever i take new peers out.

i seriously have a talk with all the newbies. it's short and goes like this:

"hi there, new people, this is how it works: boats are big fun, and big responsibility. if i sound like a prick, it's because i'm concerned. if i give you an instruction, follow it. now that we're all up to speed, YOU! SHOTGUN THAT BEER!"

Edited by madchild
MalibuNation

Kids just love openning my glove box, flipping the flip up bow light, and play with the pop up cleats ... these are not toys. Even after asking them nicely to not do that ... they are right back doing the same thing.

I agree on the stearn, firm but still cordial welcome with instructions to newbies ... again, regardless of age. I often get large groups with my 19 year old and friends that are sometimes new to me and the boat. I quickly jump in and point out that my boat is not a rental when I see them start sliding wakeboards across the rear deck vinyl and throwing things around carelessly. Gotta learn sometime I guess but only one chance/Mulligan to make good when they come out with us. I hate the thought of something breaking that I have to look at or fix long after the abusers have gone.

Actually I do have a 10 year old girl. She has been on boats her whole life and understands the rules most of us find as second nature. The only buttons she touches on the dash are the stereo buttons...trying to get to Taylor Swift on the iPod when nobody else is watching. She is a crumb dropper, but we're working on that.

Really the issue is lax parenting. My daughter would not be permitted to run amok.

I'm often asked to take out the youth groups from church, and I'm proud to say I've "raised" three of four dozen kids that are going to be great boat owners should they decide to buy one.

Before we leave, I gather all of them around the stern, have them kneel down and look at the prop. "this little jewel will tear off your arm or leg, then grind you into little bitty pieces so that your parents will not be able to identify you when the coroner hands them a pot of stew and says that's all that's left" Usually, all clowning around stops immediately.

I then go through the many rules of the boat, and how each one will ASK me before entering or exiting the boat, if they don't, they're on the shore immediately until I feel like taking them back out. At the end of the day, as I pull the boat out, I expect every single one of them to use their mommy's very best egyptian cotton towel to wipe down my boat from top to bottom, including trailer and wheels. I tell the girls that if they go out with a guy that owns a boat, and they immediately start wiping it down when they trailer it, expect a marriage proposal later that evening.

I've never had a problem with the groups, they have a fabulous time on the water, it is one of the highlight activities of their year, and my 2001 still looks almost brand new after 10 years. Some would say I'm a hard@$$, but the proof is in the pudding, responsible kids, pristine boat, good times and they ask me to do it every year. :)

Sounds like a parenting issue to me rather than strictly an age/boating issue. The parents should have been watching the kids to keep stuff from happening.

Before we leave, I gather all of them around the stern, have them kneel down and look at the prop. "this little jewel will tear off your arm or leg, then grind you into little bitty pieces so that your parents will not be able to identify you when the coroner hands them a pot of stew and says that's all that's left" Usually, all clowning around stops immediately.

My kids would stand up laughing and lose all focus at this point. Then a joke about Beef Stew from "Benchwarmers" would be made. And it would just keep going.

But I'm with ya, I've been known to have my kids and their friends take a knee with me in a grocery store, at the mall, etc. It's better than shouting at them, they go into the player-coach mode and it grabs their attention, and you can cover something constructively.

I take over when kids are on my boat and disregarding basic rules, and I will slap a hand to reinforce for small kids or thump a head for bigger ones.

At the end of the day, as I pull the boat out, I expect every single one of them to use their mommy's very best egyptian cotton towel to wipe down my boat from top to bottom, including trailer and wheels. I tell the girls that if they go out with a guy that owns a boat, and they immediately start wiping it down when they trailer it, expect a marriage proposal later that evening.

AWESOME!!! Love the hell out of that!!!!!!! :clap::thumbup::yahoo::rockon::biggrin::)

My boat rule is simple, treat my boat (and houseboat) better than you would treat your own. Have all the fun you can and contribute by helping us keep things nice (for someone else to enjoy, also at our expense). Or, take lots of pics on this trip because you won't be coming back!

My kids would stand up laughing and lose all focus at this point. Then a joke about Beef Stew from "Benchwarmers" would be made. And it would just keep going.

We had a Dad in the group about 12 years ago run over a kid while tubing. Ended his promising basketball career, and he has a nice pattern of blade strikes going up his right side from his calf to his armpit. I'm guessing that's why I don't get the snickers and laughing, I'm sure many of the kids I take out have heard the story...

I like the idea of take a knee, followed by them yelling "YES COACH" after I explain to them what they did wrong. :thumbup:

Kids just love openning my glove box, flipping the flip up bow light, and play with the pop up cleats ... these are not toys. Even after asking them nicely to not do that ... they are right back doing the same thing.

My "teacher voice" comes out and snaps them to. This is the no nonsense, very firm, do not argue with me voice....works wonders :lol: I don't yell, it is all about the tone and it has been polished for 15 years.

My "teacher voice" comes out and snaps them to. This is the no nonsense, very firm, do not argue with me voice....works wonders LOL.gif I don't yell, it is all about the tone and it has been polished for 15 years.

I am always amazed at the respect that a teacher can get when the "teacher voice" is used.

Thanks

REW