Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Radar Senate

Malibudude

WOW, took a spin on this ski since I'm thinking of moving on from my S8. Put the boots on in the neutral position and the Schnitz Slot Fin more or less as well. After one pass I ran the course w/ ease. Very stable ski and finishes the turns with ease and control. The wider rear seems to keep this ski while shorter higher on the water. The Slot Fin wasn't all the way back like it should and so we adjusted that, played w/ moving the bindings forward or aft one hole....wow a small sweet spot but once you get it this ski preforms. I was late from ball 3 and just cranked it over to 4, the deeper fin imho really kept the ski planted, the stick fin I would question if it would have held. Granted if form was perfect it would be an issue, but it did help to really add confidence in the ski. any props to Radar this ski is sweet.

I demoed the Senate C and the Annex and liked them both. The Senate C is the all-carbon version of the Senate. They are .2" wider than the Annex and adds a small flat rail on the edges with that .2". The Senate C is wicked fast and the flat rail makes it a little more forgiving. I ended up buying the Annex as I liked how I could set the ski for a turn and it will hold tenaciously. That works for my skiing. I have found that I am getting a better rhythm and not working quite as hard.

No doubt about it RadaR makes world class skis, top notch all the way down their product line. If you get a chance ski on the 2011 RadaR Vice next season, it's Trent Finlaysons pro model - not only does it have a sick graphic but it skis pretty damn good too :).

Edited by Wakes

No doubt about it RadaR makes world class skis, top notch all the way down their product line. If you get a chance ski on the 2011 RadaR Vice next season, it's Trent Finlaysons pro model - not only does it have a sick graphic but it skis pretty damn good too Smile.gif.

Now you have me intriqued.

The reason I'm trying the Senate is a guy is looking to unload it cheap, but before I do I've got some dialing in before I decide. I need a shorter ski period and this ski fits the bill. I do like the description of the Annex but haven't ridden it yet. I did demo one Marcus' A1's and wow love that ski but just can't get the approval to spend that dough.....

What's the difference between the Vice and the Strada?

Ed,

I think the 2011 Vice is to be the replacement of the Annex. Whereas the Annex was built on the RS-1 mold, the Vice is now built on the Strada mold, but w/ a different core.

As Michael mentioned, the Vice graphic is pretty radical

Edited by davemac

Ed,

I think the 2011 Vice is to be the replacement of the Annex. Whereas the Annex was built on the RS-1 mold, the Vice is now built on the Strada mold, but w/ a different core.

As Michael mentioned, the Vice graphic is pretty radical

I amy have to try that one when it comes out, although I enjoy the rather plain graphic on the Annex.

... although I enjoy the rather plain graphic on the Annex.

Agreed, I also liked the simplicity of the MPD. IMO, RadaR graphics have improved each year. From the glimpse I got, the entire 2011 line is by far the most appealling (especially the Senates and Theory).

Edited by davemac

2011 Senate and Senate C are going to be based on the Strada if you can wait.

Another ski you should look into is the Coefficient X. I'm hoping to try one of these soon to replace my Monza. I might try the 2011 Senate-C also, but I'm just not sure about how that ski will respond at 36. It's BIG.

• 2 weeks later...

Question on the Senate how sensitive to weight are they, meaning that if your at the end of one weight class and size of ski and at the low end of the next size up. I'm trying to figure out if I should go w/ the shorter ski vs. the next size up.

Also anyone have a radar skeg laying around I could use? Trying to compare the schnitz vs. the factory.

The senate runs to where if your on the border, get the smaller ski if you want aggressive, get the larger for an easier ride.

One of the recreational ski shootout riders has said the upper end of the Senate chart for the 69" (220) should have really been the starting point.

I really like me Senate, but am well over the 220 lb range too (for now).

Question on the Senate how sensitive to weight are they, meaning that if your at the end of one weight class and size of ski and at the low end of the next size up. I'm trying to figure out if I should go w/ the shorter ski vs. the next size up.

Also anyone have a radar skeg laying around I could use? Trying to compare the schnitz vs. the factory.

I'd go smaller

I'd go smaller, especially on the Senate. It's a wide, 34 MPH ski. I'm finding all of the newer skis seem to offer more support than the older, longer ones. I picked up a used A1 to try out for the remainder of the year. I've been on a 70 inch Monza for the past 4 years or so, and I find this ski at 68.75 inches is more symmetrical, offers more support, and handles being front-loaded better.

Matt,

I’ve been on a 70” S8 for several years and just find it’s a lot of ski to really be nimble in the course. Of course your size the 67” you’d sink it….lol The rear of the Senate is wider than my S8 is and I’m thinking going w/ the shorter length is the way to go. I just would really like to test out a 68” to compare. The 67” does offer the sports car feel but before I make a full commitment to this ski specifically the size I really need to get a factory skeg. The Shnitz fin really hums in the turns and gets annoying, but a few times when I was late coming into 5 ball I swear this skeg w/ the extra length kept the ski planted, I’m certain that the stock skeg on the S8 would have broke loose…wouldn’t have happened if I wasn’t late…but sometimes ya know must make up time.

Funny you mention loading the front better. I’m finding it harder to get the Senate front end down like I have the S8 but still tweaking the settings

If I go w/ the 67” I guess I’ll have to switch to PBR…not

To me, it seems like Radar skis do better with a little higher tip than you'd see out of others. I think that has to do with the HO lineage (think CDX). As for the slot fin, I have one on my Monza. It definitely helped that ski out in terms of consistency. I've heard it works on the Senate as well for smaller skiers but bigger skiers tend to overpower it. I think I'm going to try a Senate C next year as it's based on the Strada. The current version is fantastic, but it's based on the RS-1.

I did demo one Marcus' A1's and wow love that ski but just can't get the approval to spend that dough.....

Not sure what your budget is but Adrenaline Watersports is selling brand new 2010 A1's for $650. Also check Ski-It-Again as Greg and Debbie Badal sell their demo's this time of year and if new units can be had for $650 I'm thinking they'll have to be below $500 to move their demo's. Got mine from them last year at the Diablo Shores Tourney.

I'm trying to figure out if I should go w/ the shorter ski vs. the next size up.

What speed are you skiing? 34-36 go with the shorter. 32? :dontknow: Below 32 go longer.

Took a spin on a radar Strada last night and it felt like a very capable ski. Jodi Fischer was in the boat( it was his ski ) and we were working on things so I only rode it thru 35 but those were some very easy 35's. The ski was a little small for me, a 67" ski and I normally ski a 68" but it had very good manners and didn't seem slow and didn't want to dive into the water while I was finishing the turn. Nice and predictable thru the turns and stable behind the boat. This Strada did very well from the second wake out and seemed effortless to edge change behind the boat. It looked like a nice ski too, good graphics and shiiny emblems. Well worth another look when they are released.