Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Mouthguard?

Levi900RR

Anyone out there wearing a mouthguard? I hit the side of my face on my knee while attempting a back roll this weekend and it made me start thinking about it...

I already almost died once on a wakeboard... :unsure:

Anyone out there wearing a mouthguard? I hit the side of my face on my knee while attempting a back roll this weekend and it made me start thinking about it...

I already almost died once on a wakeboard... Unsure.gif

I have thought about it, some of the face plants and head shots would be softer withone. I just worry about getting chocked on it, haven't tried it yet.

REW

2 guys that ride on my boat use mouthguards. 5 yrs ago I split my chin open by hitting my knee, 14 stitches. I no longer wakeboard but would wear one if I did.

I know some serious guys that wear them.

I'm thinking about buying a ski jumping helmet. It has a mouth gard built in. It looks like a full face motorcycle helmet without the visor.

Never really thought about it before. Its getting tough to hit the water any more…mouth guard, life vest, helmet…whats next?

No kidding, we'll all look like hockey players soon :crazy

If you lose a tooth, big deal, you should still have 27 more :thumbup:

Edited by Ndawg12

I wear a mouthguard from shock doctor, the kind that you heat up in boiling water and then fit it to your mouth. Works pretty good not as good as a truely fitted one would from a dentist but it seems to work. I have had several concussions and have tried several things to limit them, a helmet which I still got a concussion from a backroll attempt, a stupid toe side crash which I remember all of it but still got a slight concussion, mouthpiece only. Now I use both helmet w/ ear flaps and a mouthguard no issues yet. More gear than I want to wear but I am not ready to just ride around and do nothing new and don't want anymore concussions.

martinarcher

I *should* wear one just because I have the tendency to subconsciously stick my tongue out when I jump. Always have since I was a kid. Just can't help it.

I do the same thing. Anything from shooting a basketball to wakeboarding. Seems like anytime I concentrate.

No mouthgards for me. I need to start using the helmet that is on the boat. I just feel like a total dunce with it on. LOL.gif Maybe I need to break down and buy a Protec so I actually wear it.

I've been wearing them for years. Took a chin to the knee on a backroll and needed a couple stitches about 6 years ago. Even Andrew Adkinson has taken a pretty good knee to the chin and had a couple teeth knocked out, it can happen to anyone. I actually buy the youth moutguards from Walmart, only about $2 each. Personally, I think the $20 ones you can find at d***'s or other sporting good stores are a waste, but just my opinion.

I wear a mouthguard from shock doctor, the kind that you heat up in boiling water and then fit it to your mouth

You can actually mold any mouthpiece, they all boil in water and mold to your mouth, the expensive ones just happen to come with a warranty and instructions.

a Sumo wet suit, will protect you

Oh, that would be soooooo cool!!! Wearing one of those blow-up sumo suits and using it as a tube. Get two people behind the boat and Sumo Tube Wrestle. I see a new trend starting. :rockon:

Never really thought about it before. It’s getting tough to hit the water any more…mouth guard, life vest, helmet…what’s next?

I understand your point, but I feel like with any sport, as it evloves so does the equipment, and saftey equipment. It's a (semi) free country, so wakeboard naked if you want. I personally would rather wear any gear that could possibly protect my body. You can replace a boat or a board, you only get one head.

:cheers:

I know some serious guys that wear them.

I'm thinking about buying a ski jumping helmet. It has a mouth gard built in. It looks like a full face motorcycle helmet without the visor.

What kind you gonna get?

Well,

Unlike Ndawg, I have have had a front tooth replaced with an implant and it's not the laugh riot that he thinks it is.

This is what I'm gonna start looking for....

ScreenShot001-4.jpg

I understand your point, but I feel like with any sport, as it evloves so does the equipment, and saftey equipment. It's a (semi) free country, so wakeboard naked if you want. I personally would rather wear any gear that could possibly protect my body. You can replace a boat or a board, you only get one head.

:cheers:

My comment was tongue-in-cheek. I should have added a smiley face. My bad. :biggrin:

I've been wearing one for about two years now. I also wear a helmet. I have taken some pretty tough wipe outs and haven't sustained any head injuries.

Some people have different opinions on the effects of wearing a helmet or mouth gaurd. gather all the data you can then make your own conclusion.

Well,

Unlike Ndawg, I have have had a front tooth replaced with an implant and it's not the laugh riot that he thinks it is.

This is what I'm gonna start looking for....

ScreenShot001-4.jpg

My comment was tongue-in-cheek. I should have added a smiley face. My bad. :biggrin:

And so was mine, geesh!!

Everything is cool man, my point was that I don't want anyone to ever think I am pushing any saftey gear on them. I really do think there is an @ss for every seat and we should all have the choice to do what we want. I have had one pretty serious skull fracture from the board and I always wear a helmet so I figured maybe I would get ahead of the 8 ball and get a mouth guard before I blow my teeth out or bite my lip off! :Doh:

I already almost died once on a wakeboard... :unsure:

Are you serious or exaggerating about almost dying?

Caught my toes side on a landing, board swung up and hit me in the head. Crushed my Skull in onto my brain. I had 3 Titanium plates screwed to my skull and about 40 staples to hole my scalp together. I couldnt use me left afm for about a week, it works good now but I cant feel the skin in my Tricept area...

But that is a discussion for the "Do you wear a helmet" thread! :rockon: