Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

can you determine diamond hull by hull number?

In looking at boats online, many owners or resellers do not seem to know about the diamond hull option. Assuming there are not pictures of the transom, is there a way to tell based on the hull ID number without calling the dealer or malibu directly? I couldn't find the answer in a search -- but of course it's probably there. Anyone know?

Thanks!

Edited by rugger

I got that part. But someone can order wakesetter VLX, for instance, with a diamond hull option. Yet when it's on a reseller site, or craigslist for instance, I'm finding many sellers don't have a clue if its a wake hull or diamond hull. They'd just call it a wakesetter vlx.

martinarcher

I would think there would be a digit in the HID that would indicate the hull spec. Seems silly if they didn't set up the HID that way. I wonder if a call to Malibu would help "decode" the HID so you could look at a number and tell?

Please forgive my ignorance, but has anybody heard of 01 sunsetter VLX on a wake hull? I have looked at the pics under resources/DIY and assumed my old boat was a diamond hull, but the chine does not curve down as much as the one in that diamond hull photo. Was there only one hull in 01???

Please forgive my ignorance, but has anybody heard of 01 sunsetter VLX on a wake hull? I have looked at the pics under resources/DIY and assumed my old boat was a diamond hull, but the chine does not curve down as much as the one in that diamond hull photo. Was there only one hull in 01???

Yes, I have. In fact, the red one used in the brochure that year was on the wake hull IIRC, though they weren't "supposed" to be on the wake.

From what I know the four numbers in the middle are the simply the order in which the boat was built, ex boat 2108 was the 2108 hull to be built that model year.

Here is a more detailed explanation I found in the archive

Here is what the rest of the numbers mean:

Optional, as of January 1, 1984, was a new-format version, simply called new format. This format became mandatory August 1, 1984, replacing the two previous formats.

• In the new format, characters 1, 2, and 3 of the HIN are still the Manufacturer's Identification Code. Sometimes the letters of this manufacturer's code easily identify the manufacturer. In other cases they bear no relationship to the manufacturer's name.

• Characters 4 through 8 are still the alpha-numeric serial number assigned at the discretion of the manufacturer. Some of these manufacturer-assigned characters are laid out very logically, and some defy logic. On a 37-footer, which is hull #51, the number might be 37051; but it also might be a set of characters that only makes sense to the builder.

• Character 9 indicates the month of manufacture or certification. A designates January, B February, and so on through December (a big improvement over the original lettering system that started in August).

• Character 10 is a numeral that indicates the last digit of the year of manufacture or certification.

• Characters 11 and 12 indicate the model year. Thus, 82 would indicate the boat's model year was 1982.

-Chris

Yes, I have. In fact, the red one used in the brochure that year was on the wake hull IIRC, though they weren't "supposed" to be on the wake.

Well I think I may have one as well, like i said the chine definately does not slope as much as the resources pic, but the data plate says sunsetter, but my title says wakesetter/sunsetter???

Now i dont even know what type of hull i have???

there is no indicator as to which hull the boat has in the VIN

To decipher the vin:

MB2K1234F010

MB2= Malibu

K= Boat model (in this case a VLX)

1234= actual boat number

F= Month of manufacture

0= year of manufacture

10= model year of boat

Well I think I may have one as well, like i said the chine definately does not slope as much as the resources pic, but the data plate says sunsetter, but my title says wakesetter/sunsetter???

Now i dont even know what type of hull i have???

Post a picture.

there is no indicator as to which hull the boat has in the VIN

Cool. But darn. Thanks for the confirmation. I'll have to have a few sellers send me transom

pics.

Edited by rugger