Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2005 WKSTR 23 LSV, Tranny issues?

Was out on the lake this weekend and I was forced to make a bonehead powerturn because of some idiot following too close while I had my son in tow. I was about half-way thru the turn and my boat kinda felt like I spun a hub. No big clank, never hit a thing, no grinding, just all of the sudden, the boat redlined because it fell out of gear. I stopped and jumped out of the boat to look under to make sure I hadn't lost my prop but it was still there. I got back in the boat and started it perfectly normal but when you try and shift into forward of reverse, nothing happens. Looking at the cables, all seems to be working correctly and that makes me think it's something far more serious... I was hoping one of you could cheer me up and give me something positive to think about.

The boat is an '05 Malibu Wakesetter 23 LSV with the 340 Monsoon and it only has about 120 hours. I do all of regular maintenance and all of my fluids are perfectly clean and up to proper levels. Nothing smells burnt of looks bad at all. Tranny never made a funky noise of any kind, it just lost the gearing! When you start the boat and put it into gear, the normal sound it makes by going into gear is missing. There is no sound coming from the transmission at all when you try and put it in gear. Also, there are no holes in the case and it's not leaking a drop of fluid into the bilege.

I'm gonna loose sleep, somebody help me!

Thanks,

Chad

You probably sheared you shaft key at the prop or at the transmission coupler, spin the shaft by hand, if you can turn it without the coupler or prop turning at the same time you found the problem.

-Chris

You probably sheared you shaft key at the prop or at the transmission coupler, spin the shaft by hand, if you can turn it without the coupler or prop turning at the same time you found the problem.

-Chris

I read your post and ran outside to check....

I couldn't spin the shaft by hand. When I grabbed the prop, I could spin everything that way even though it was hard to spin. No binding, just takes a little effort to spin. It is in neutral. It was a little squeeky when I spun it....

You were able to see the transmission coupler while you spun the prop? You would need two people for this operation, or to put the boat in the water.

Squeeky is normal so don't worry about that.

Next is to make sure the tranny is being engaged into forward and neutral by the shift cable. It will be on top of the transmission to one side, make sure it moves all the way forward when the shifter is engaged, and the opposite for reverse.

I just called Indmar because most repair facilities are closed on Mondays. Talked to a REALLY nice and helpful guy. I explained the situation and he was rather confidant that its an issue with the drive plate and not a totally blown tranny. We won't know untill it's apart but that was a bit of good news for me... I hope.

For those of you familiar with the 23 LSV, can you get the trans out without removing the motor first (Monsoon)?

Thanks!

i just searched the archives and there appears to be quite a few issues with the drive plate or damper plate. Looks like a few that let go, really did dome damage. Fortunately I don't have any damage like that... not that I can see anyway. Gonna take it in tomorrow, we'll see what they say.

i just searched the archives and there appears to be quite a few issues with the drive plate or damper plate. Looks like a few that let go, really did dome damage. Fortunately I don't have any damage like that... not that I can see anyway. Gonna take it in tomorrow, we'll see what they say.

I just went outside and watched the coupler (felt it) while my wife spun the prop and it DOES turn with the prop and prop shaft. I'm hosed..... I guess if there is good news it's that there doesn't appear to be any cracks anywhere (that I can see anyway) and there is no fluid or schrapnel anywhere.

My dealer said they were having problems with the pressure plate on some tranny's but it was typically the Hammerhead versions with all the horsepower. That sux if it's gone out. I wouldn't want to know how much it is to fix. Everything on these dang things is made out of gold! :)

Just heard back from the guys doing the work on my boat and it is the damper plate. Fortunately, there was no outer damage to anything like the bell housing, just the plate. I'll try and post up pics when I get them.

• 7 years later...