Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Steering Wheel Rattle

I have an 06 VLX, at 40+ mph and during hole shots the steering wheel rattles like it's loose or something, I've tried to tighten the tilt adjustment , but I don't think that's it. It sounds like a very light metal to metal rattle, like a loose washer or something. any ideas? It's very annoying since one of the reasons I bought the Bu is because of how solid it rode.

I have the same issue -- sometimes on hole shots and during a hot corner. Sounds to me like metal to metal contact of the rack & pinion??

I was going to try to tap in a grease fitting on the unit in the spring and see if squirting some grease in there will help.

Any other ideas?

Every once and a while ours does it too. Usually it happens when we are going one direction and then turn hard the other and give it a lot of gas. (like the rider falls and someone is closing in behind them) It does it just for a few seconds at most and then you never hear it again. Its a clicking/rattling/grinding sound???

Got the same annoying issue on my '04. I've been fighting with trying to find it all sumer. Sounds like it's just loose somewhere - metal-on-metal. For the life of me I can't find it.

Mike

Everything I have checked had been tight and when I replaced our cable the same sound continued to happed so I just don't know. What it sounds like is the teeth rattling where the cable is attached to the wheel, but I know that isn't it. It just sounds like its coming from there.

This sounds quite pervasive. Must just be something that makes Malibus better than MC and CC.

A guess, could this be a tight tolerance thing with reference to the clearance between the cable and the sheath that surounds it, such that it only makes the noise under certain quick manuevers but not during normal ones?

• 3 weeks later...

I have heard the rattles you are speaking of in several different boats. I think it is from the extreme turbulence on the rudder. It is being telegraphed up the cable causing internal parts or the cable itself to rattle. It seems to only happen during more extreme manuvers or when hitting the power hard. I don't think you can do anything to stop it. I would like to see a grease fitting on each end of the cable anyway. That could possibly help. :)

I have heard the rattles you are speaking of in several different boats. I think it is from the extreme turbulence on the rudder. It is being telegraphed up the cable causing internal parts or the cable itself to rattle. It seems to only happen during more extreme manuvers or when hitting the power hard. I don't think you can do anything to stop it. I would like to see a grease fitting on each end of the cable anyway. That could possibly help. :)

I am not saying your wrong because I don't know much about the steering cable/rudder/steering wheel set up, but when we replaced our cable we had to cut the old one in half and I don't see how there could be any part of it that could move. It is just and bunch of thin strands of braded cables. How could those cause the noise?

I am not saying your wrong because I don't know much about the steering cable/rudder/steering wheel set up, but when we replaced our cable we had to cut the old one in half and I don't see how there could be any part of it that could move. It is just and bunch of thin strands of braded cables. How could those cause the noise?

The turbulence on the rudder in those conditions is very powerful. It is causing a vibration to telegraph up the cable causing any parts with loose tolerance to chatter. That can include the stranded cable inside the cable housing itself if it is worn or becoming dry inside. I suspect the rack and pinion gears are causing some of the chatter also because there is a loose tolerance between the gears. If Teleflex made the tolerances too tight it would cause drag and excessive wear in the system.

I think it could travel thought the cable, and cause noise in the helm or rack - which is why I suggested adding heavy grease to the rack (to quiet any rattling between the rack and pinion gear)

Not sure if that is it though, but would be an easy fix

So it sounds like this is something that can't be fixed then? Its not that big of a deal I am just glad that its not something wrong with the steering but just some vibrations traveling up the cable.

Not sure if mine is the same problem you are having, but possibly.

When I go to pull a rider out of the water, and I happen to have the wheel turned too far, when I straighten out, and under load, I get the same type of thing. Like others have said, I would guess it is the turbulence on the rudder, since I am under close to full power, and turning the rudder. I should just make sure I am straight, which I usually do. Just happens to be crooked sometimes.

On another note, my steering wheel/column is a bit loose. If I hold the wheel and lift up and down, it feels loose. Yes, I have checked the mounting for the wheel, etc. That's not it. The dealer just ordered a new column for it, so that should take care of it. Not sure if the two things are related.

This is probably not the cause, but just in case.....have you checked the rubber boot that surrounds the column? The wide part at the base will dislodge and rattle when turning.

I've never noticed that noise with my Bu, but my Brendella did it pretty bad during a sharp turn, like around a turn island. I always blammed it on cavatation at the prop or at the rudder. It makes sense to me that the rudder could be cavitating on the outside edge. If you've ever heard real cavatation in a pump, you can undertstand how the sound could be transfered up the steering cable and into the rack/pinion gear assembly. Cavatation can cause some severe damage in pumps, I've seen SS impellers that looked like they had a cutting torch taken to them. Water in all of its phases is very powerful!

• 1 month later...

I bought an 06 VLX in October and I've noticed the same thing under heavy load such as pulling up a slalom skiier or when pulling on/off my boat lift. It is a loud rattle with a shake in the steering wheel. I feel a little better after reading that I'm not the only one with this problem but I will be very disappointed if there isn't a fix.

I mentioned this issue to the dealer's service shop. They say they haven't heard of this problem and they haven't offered any potential causes / solutions yet. I'm winterized at the moment but I've scheduled to take it in to their shop in the spring.

Based on the number of similar posts I think I will contact Malibu directly and inquire about this problem. I'd rather have it fixed properly the first time then waste next summer having the boat in and out of the shop.

Any additional information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Bo

same here,i am sure the noise comes from under the dash.Maybe the extra grease idea might work,but will it absorb all the vibration coming from the cable?..i,m going to try it anyway,i,m sure adding some extra heavy grease won,t damage anything.

Edited by BenBu

From my understanding it has to do with the steering cable that Malibu uses, the zero friction cable. I have heard it when the wheel is turned all the way to one direction and taking off when the rudder is turned. Also I have heard this in every malibu I have had or been in as well as the two CCs that I have rode in. Malibu and CC both use this zero friction cable, and the vibration is coming from the rudder up through the cable. I could be way off but this is the description I have been given by multiple people.

• 1 month later...

had the same problem with my steering. steering wheel rattle on hard throttle, or a hard left hand turn. dealer replaced the cable. took the boat out the other day. not one rattle. seems to have been cured. warranty item.