Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rope caught in Prop!!

Legally Blonde

So, I got a rope in my prop yesterday. Had a kid get under the boat and cut it loose. Should I worry about any damage? Boat seems to run fine.

Where did you just find a kid in the middle of a lake? I keep a knife and diving mask in the boat for situations like that.

This happened to my friend as well. Used a mask, dove underneath the boat and unravelled the rope. took quite a few attempts and he was pretty paranoid that the engine would somehow fire up while he was down there. Actually put the keys in the glovebox to make him feel better. No damaged what so ever to the boat.

This happened to my friend as well. Used a mask, dove underneath the boat and unravelled the rope. took quite a few attempts and he was pretty paranoid that the engine would somehow fire up while he was down there. Actually put the keys in the glovebox to make him feel better. No damaged what so ever to the boat.

We did the same a couple of weeks ago. Just made me feel better to have the keys somewhere other than the ignition when 2 inches from a prop!

Where did you just find a kid in the middle of a lake? I keep a knife and diving mask in the boat for situations like that.

Don't forget to keep at least one kid in the boat as well.

A razor knife to cut a badly tangled ski or anchor rope from the prop shaft is part of the basic equipment in our boat, because on occasion the captain (me) forgets to double check where the rope is.

I never thought about a carrying a diving mask

Add these to the basic boating equipment list.

Tim

:rtfm:

HAHA about the kid!! Got lucky, kid was inside the boat so if they wanted to ski anymore, it needed to be fixed. I just happened to have goggles in my swim bag and we bummed a box knife off someone. AND I too will be adding goggles and a box knife and scissors to my "Must have" list. But really a dive mask that covers your nose would be nice because he did say that because he was looking up he couldn't stay under as long.......

It took him over an hour to get it cut loose. Paid the kid a nice chunk of change for his hard work because I would have never done it. Thank God for a younger generation!

Ran boat all day and seems to do just fine!!!! My first season in the boat. Man, I love it.

I would still do a close inspection when you get home. I am thinking that the thin fibers of the rope can work their way in between the prop and cutlass bearing.

We went to Lake Billy Chinook yesterday and today. Hung out at our usual spot the Sundance Club ski dock. There were a lot of civilians running through the area where our ski course is.

We watched the Sheriff run over the rope for a wakeboarder as he was preparing to check one of the civilians for boat license, alcohol, overloading the placard, etc. The Sheriff had to tilt up his 150 hp outboard before he could check those folks out. He managed to get the rope out of his motor.

It turns out he found no violations. His intended victim looked good at first blush. Six younger folks in an 17-18 foot I/O running through and around the course. They had just left their ski rope float full length in the water for ten minutes after they were finished with a rider.

Beautiful day about 90 degrees down in the canyon. For whatever reason we had a disproportionate amount of boats come barging through just as we were preparing to run the course several times. We would be waiting there with our skier on the swim pad rope in hand waiting for a flat spot and another boat would come barging through as if they had no effect on anybody. What should be obvious was not to several today.

Worst offenders: A wakesetter comes through the ski course cove with ballast full and their surfer. Absolutely no reason for them to be in our little cove as the lake was flat today due to no/light wind. They kept running up and down the posted area like it was just wonderful for us to be given the ocean treatment. I understand that surfing is fun and the current craze. Just not in the designated, posted, huge signed, and buoyed ski course area.

Today I had to root for the Sheriff.

We went to Lake Billy Chinook yesterday and today. Hung out at our usual spot the Sundance Club ski dock. There were a lot of civilians running through the area where our ski course is.

We watched the Sheriff run over the rope for a wakeboarder as he was preparing to check one of the civilians for boat license, alcohol, overloading the placard, etc. The Sheriff had to tilt up his 150 hp outboard before he could check those folks out. He managed to get the rope out of his motor.

It turns out he found no violations. His intended victim looked good at first blush. Six younger folks in an 17-18 foot I/O running through and around the course. They had just left their ski rope float full length in the water for ten minutes after they were finished with a rider.

Beautiful day about 90 degrees down in the canyon. For whatever reason we had a disproportionate amount of boats come barging through just as we were preparing to run the course several times. We would be waiting there with our skier on the swim pad rope in hand waiting for a flat spot and another boat would come barging through as if they had no effect on anybody. What should be obvious was not to several today.

Worst offenders: A wakesetter comes through the ski course cove with ballast full and their surfer. Absolutely no reason for them to be in our little cove as the lake was flat today due to no/light wind. They kept running up and down the posted area like it was just wonderful for us to be given the ocean treatment. I understand that surfing is fun and the current craze. Just not in the designated, posted, huge signed, and buoyed ski course area.

Today I had to root for the Sheriff.

This is a total thread jack but reminded me of a situation I ran into this weekend.

I head up to my local spot, it was a bit windy but the lake is small and pretty sheltered, still one end of the lake was pretty choppy and the other end was glass. There was a dude on the flat end in a I/O doing donuts pulling a tube. I idled down to the flat end and sat for a few mins watching. When the kid finally flew off the tube skipping like a stone I waved the dude over and VERY nicely asked if we could split up the lake so no one got run over... His reply was "I live on this lake, and I will drive where I want!" and he burned off... It was one of those exchanges that made me feel bad to be a human. The fact that these people are breeding scares the crap out of me :blowup:

We rode in the chop until the wind died down. :Frustrated:

This is a total thread jack but reminded me of a situation I ran into this weekend.

I head up to my local spot, it was a bit windy but the lake is small and pretty sheltered, still one end of the lake was pretty choppy and the other end was glass. There was a dude on the flat end in a I/O doing donuts pulling a tube. I idled down to the flat end and sat for a few mins watching. When the kid finally flew off the tube skipping like a stone I waved the dude over and VERY nicely asked if we could split up the lake so no one got run over... His reply was "I live on this lake, and I will drive where I want!" and he burned off... It was one of those exchanges that made me feel bad to be a human. The fact that these people are breeding scares the crap out of me :blowup:

We rode in the chop until the wind died down. :Frustrated:

You should have rode right next to him for a hour or so, and kindly return his phrase when he gets pissed and asked what you were doing. :whistle:

Although I doubt he would have gotten the point. This song comes to mind.

Considering the boat is made of fiberglass, I would say yes. :Tease3::crazy:

:unsure:

A boat floats because the shape displaces water. A steel ship floats too...doesn't mean a steel platform would float.

My guess is that a fiberglass platform will not.

While barefoot makes a good point, when it comes to fiberglass boats they float even when full of water because fiberglass is less dense than water (steel ships can't do that trick). Fiberglass floats, the rubber mats that are glued on the platform probably don't.

It would come down to whether or not the platform could float the more dense rubber is my guess. Chuck it in on the shallow end and see what happens ;)

Edited by wakeboarder3780

Anyone know if the fiberglass platform floats?

Sounds like a great experiment for a few crew members, a calm shallow cove... and a case of beer.

:beer:

Edited by RedOwl

i've found that my teak swim platform floats.

when i had to dive, to break a rope free from the driveshaft, it was much easier to do it with the swim platfom out of the way.

This reminds me of a funny story... The FIRST time I ever took my boat out after I picked it up I backed it into the water took it off the trailer and headded out, we got out to the spot and I looked :dontknow: MY PLATFORM WAS GONE!

There were no pins holding it on and when I backed it into the water it just floated off the mounts and floated away :boat:

I went back over to the access to find it neatly resting against a bolder, some one had picked it up for me :Doh:

Anyone know if the fiberglass platform floats?

Funny you should ask. I posted on here a while back that my platform came off and I lost it. Didn't figure it floated. Posted on craigslist that I lost it. A week later someone found it 6 miles downstream! So yes, they float. :)