Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Now I know how others felt...

rugger

I need a little closure. I should post this in the mods section, since I've lived there for the past several years. I rebuilt an 87 Sunsetter from the ground up, documenting nearly every step on the crew -- stringers, floor, transom, interior, dash, and even a homemade stainless floating wedge. What a great experience and what a killer boat.

Well after all that, I sold the ‘bu and she shipped off to another state. We knew someday we'd want a bigger boat and v drive layout for our big family. And we found the perfect buyer via the Crew, who plans to make it even better.

So thanks to everyone who helped me build it over the years. I'm definitely sticking with Malibu for the next one.

If you're interested, there's a few pics in my gallery of the GIANT TRAILER used for the maiden voyage. It holds 3 boats with trailers. Insane. If you ever buy a boat on ebay, it'd probably ship on something like this. http://picasaweb.google.com/myfourday

Now I know why others posted a story when they sold their first Malibu -- it's a bittersweet day. But I'm also excited. I'm not sure if the new owner visits the site very often, but I'm hoping he'll post future mods too. He's full of ideas. :whistle:

Okay, moving on now. I've got to get busy finding my next boat. And once again, I'll probably need help.

Edited by rugger

Thanks, I appreciate it. Not an easy decision that's for sure. I liked having something "original" so to speak, but I've got some ideas for a future boat too. Hopefully a bigger boat will be worth it in the long run. I am also excited to see what the boat's new owner does to it. Great guy.

Edited by rugger

How come I have this sneaking suspicion that you sold your boat to MartinArcher???? It seems to add up. The age and condition of your boat, he is expecting a new boat this week that has been shipped from out of state, he says his new boat is older than his current one. It think I am on to something here! Wink.gif

martinarcher

How come I have this sneaking suspicion that you sold your boat to MartinArcher???? It seems to add up. The age and condition of your boat, he is expecting a new boat this week that has been shipped from out of state, he says his new boat is older than his current one. It think I am on to something here! Wink.gif

You got it! Our new garage queen is Rugger's Sunsetter! Yahoo.gif It is a boat that has been built extremely well and as the pics show went through an awesome transformation! Rockon.gif I think it is the only Bu I know of that has been to Malibu twice, once at birth and once during the rebuild. It is also the only classic with a wedge.

Buying a boat out of state sight unseen made me a bit nervous, but buying it from Rugger and his family was like...well....buying it from family. I just wish we lived closer so we could hang out and hit the lake together! The day before it shipped we did a "virtual walk through". He walked through the boat and talked me through every little nick and trick he could think of. It was awesome and was a cool way to go over every little detail before shipping the boat.

It had to be a rough day man, but I promise I will take super good care of her! This Saturday I will be letting go of my first Bu too so I will certainly know the feeling. Cry.gif The good news is the Skier is going to another Bu Crew member. He's a great guy and has promised she'll remain a garage queen while he's the owner. I think he'll take great care of her which makes "letting go" a bit easier!

I got an email from the shipper this morning. He's made it to Kearney, NE last night and is projecting to be in PA Monday afternoon! Yahoo.gif

Thanks again Rugger! You're a great guy and a huge asset to TheMalibuCrew community! I can't wait to see your next Bu and all you do to it! Clap.gif

Edited by martinarcher

holy moly, i never saw this. awesome looking boat, as much as i'd like a larger boat, i think i'd be pretty sad when the day came to say "good bye." most people don't know what it's like to really love a boat, you clearly love them more than us, haha. but really, nights of drinking beer working on/cleaning it, spending absurd amounts of money on maintenance and accessories, and so on.

if and when i do upgrade, i'll be heartbroken when my ferrari-like handling is gone. there isn't much that's better than hauling-balls on the river, buzzing the reeds, and scaring the crap out of the newbies.

EDIT: damn. i just realized my boat will be turning 10 next spring(7 of which are mine)! sounds like a good excuse for a party!

Edited by madchild
martinarcher

wooohooo :yahoo: For a week you will have 2 classics..... The question is which unlucky toy gets to stay outside.... haha

Monday is CLOSE :clap:

True. I'll have twins. LOL.gif

It doesn't matter which one stays outside because they both have Evolution covers! Rockon.gif The other good thing is next week's forecast looks awesome. I guess what it comes down to is how well the new boat fit in the garage. LOL.gif It is longer than the Skier and the Skier was a tight fit!

LOL! Great call MSU!

Congrats to Rugger for the sale and to Martin for the new addition to your family! Monday is right around the corner. :yahoo::clap:

The moment MA mentioned new boat was older and had a wedge I KNEW it was ruggers. It just added up all to well. Congrats to both of you and sorry about the loss, I know I still get a bit sad when I see our old 95 Larson on the lake and would be quite sad if the VTX was to leave after only 4 months. I can't imagine what it must be like for you guys after all the time and effort you guys put into keeping your boats in tip-top shape. I wish I had the time to work taht hard on my boat but I just can't stay off the water when I get to the cottage.