Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tow Rope Reel/Storage

martinarcher

martinarcher

Hey all!

Just curious how you guys store your towropes. I wrap them up neatly and hang them off the pylon, but they get in the way when I want to pull the plug at the end of the day. Anyone use a kite rope reel or some sort of storage reel that keeps them tidy and organized when stowed somewhere under a seat.

martinarcher

I use plastic extension cord winders.

My link

Thanks Pete.

That's about what I had in mind. Do you put multiple ropes on one reel or a reel per rope? I would assume if you ran multiple ropes per reel and wanted the bottom rope it would be a bit of a pain.

Those things are so ridiculously cheap, I have a bunch of them in the boat.

I have most of them for anchoring/mooring/tubing ropes. I keep them all in one duffle bag that has my box anchor folded flat in the bottom of the bag.

It would be a bit easier to use one rope per winder. What I did was wrap one rope around the winder I'm gonna use, mark with a marker how much extra "ears" are sticking out at each end of the winder. Then, take the rope off, cut off the extra length of the "ears" that stick out of both ends (4 of them) and round off with a file. Just makes them a little less long.

martinarcher

Those things are so ridiculously cheap, I have a bunch of them in the boat.

I have most of them for anchoring/mooring/tubing ropes. I keep them all in one duffle bag that has my box anchor folded flat in the bottom of the bag.

It would be a bit easier to use one rope per winder. What I did was wrap one rope around the winder I'm gonna use, mark with a marker how much extra "ears" are sticking out at each end of the winder. Then, take the rope off, cut off the extra length of the "ears" that stick out of both ends (4 of them) and round off with a file. Just makes them a little less long.

You da man. Sounds like a plan to me. Time to head to Wally World and pick up some winders. Thumbup.gif

Thanks again Pete!

I have 2 wakeboard ropes on board at all times. One is 80', the other 75'. If one breaks, that could be the end of your day.

I don't use the winder for these ropes because there is a different handle attached to the end of each rope. I just use a rope collar/keeper.

I do carry on board 365' of line. 2 100' anchor lines, 2 60' tube lines, 3 15' docking lines. All of these are neatly wrapped on these winders.

edit, here's a really old pic. of some of the stuff I carry on board.

Image005-3.jpg

Edited by Pistol Pete

Levi,

Sounds like you need to buy a real wakeboard line.

I highly recc. Accurate Jacket series. I've had one for about 8 yrs. without failure. I carry the exact same as a spare.

Pete I think your right, I can keep the line I have now as a spare, this is REALLY going to show how green I am at this but I'm going to ask it anyway... I need to buy a handle seperate? Got any recc's on that?

:blush:

My Accurate Line and Handle came with a case, the case is a must have, and worth the $250 i spent on the handle / rope combo.

Always carry a spare prop... random debris floating, random stuff in the Delta, and Tahoe altitude can cause havoc on a ski weekend

Hey Pete, do you really carry a spare prop?

You bet I do!

That'd be like not carrying a spare tire for your car or trailer. You ding a prop, you're done for the day.

I used to actually carry it in the boat, now I keep it in the box of towels and clean-up supplies in a box that stays in the truck.

I need to buy a handle seperate? Got any recc's on that?

:blush:

Yes,

The handle would be a separate purchase. There's a multitude of them out there. I happen to prefer the extra wide ones which are increasingly hard to find.

Always carry a spare prop... random debris floating, random stuff in the Delta, and Tahoe altitude can cause havoc on a ski weekend

Same here. I keep the spare in the truck, in a case to protect it.

Most of the lakes where I go don't have a shop close that i could get an inboard prop if i needed one.

For ropes, I usually coil them and put a wrap around them, but i may get a winder for the anchor rope.

In my boat now -

3 60 tube ropes

2 ski ropes (use for skiing and wakeboarding)

100 foot tow line

anchor with 100 feet of rope

2 5 foot stretching mooring lines

5 or 6 short tie up lines (6 feet - 10 feet)

4 fenders

Edited by Soon2BV

Tryin' to out do me Soon2BV? :Tease3:

You're talking to Pistol Pete here. The guy that has a back up for his back up.

I didn't even mention the 6 bungee docking lines and 6 fenders I carry aboard. :tease2:

Also use the same winder system as Pete.....works flawless!

On board at all times:

2 wakeboard ropes & handles (80'-ride @70')

1 surf rope

1 tube rope

100' of spare (possibly.... tow) rope

2 6' docking lines

2 fender's

1 15'-45' bungee line

1 15' shore line

1 sand spike

1 small box anchor

1 spare prop (stock 537 is a spare ...running OJ fusion) with weekend saver kit

small arsenal of tools and easy replacement engine parts

I have 3 girls under the age of 5. By trial and error/growth I always have enough kids life jackets onboard to outfit 1/2 a pre-school class!

Happy boating......Koop

martinarcher

Right on. My spare prop and puller lives on the boat! Dinging one would certainly end the day, instead you'd just yank it on the trailer and change it. We've got 4 towropes for slalom or wake and a surf rope. Gotta keep stuff organized and the ropes were the weak link in my system. We were out today and the winder are awesome. Not a single tangled line. Rockon.gif I'd rather ride than untie knots!

Levi - I highly suggest the Accurate Chamois Handle. It's what we run and I will certainly replace it with the same when it wears out. It is really easy on your hands. I love it. I'm with Pete on the mainline too. Accurate rocks!

Tryin' to out do me Soon2BV? :Tease3:

You're talking to Pistol Pete here. The guy that has a back up for his back up.

I didn't even mention the 6 bungee docking lines and 6 fenders I carry aboard. :tease2:

Actually I have a small floating trailer that i pull behind the boat. It is connected via a satelite based inventory control system to Overtons.com and Bakesonline. When I remove something from the trailer for use in the boat, it sends a signal to one of these companies and a replacement for my inventory is delivered to my dock or campsite the next AM.

You will see this trailer as an option on the 2012 Malibu product line. It is called the "Trailsetter". :yahoo:

is delivered to my dock or campsite the next AM.

Well,

I'm glad to see you're getting overnight delivery of your items.

That means one of my guys is delivering your items. :rofl:

I just wrap them by hand and put a Velcro strap around them.

That is what I do as well and then hang the ropes on the stainless hand rails. One hand rail for ropes, one for gloves one for docking ropes.