Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2000 Monsoon Oil Pressure Gauge Problem

I have 2000 Sunsetter LXi with Monsoon engine that just started having the oil pressure gauge fluctuating/bouncing from very low pressure to higher pressure, back down to low pressure, etc. Anything like this with oil pressure problems really worries me that I might risk ruining my engine if there is really an oil pressure problem.

In reading some posts it sounds like the first thing to try is to replace the oil pressure gauge sending unit.

Anyone know the part number I could use if I go to NAPA or other auto parts store, and will something from NAPA work in the Malibu Monsoon? Or, do I have to go to Malibu dealer to get sending unit that will work with Malibu oil pressure gauge?

Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated!

Update... I just called Malibu dealer on they don't have oil pressure sending unit in stock and said it might take a week to get in. I really would like to get new sending unit installed ASAP to see if that fixes problem and puts my mind at ease.

If anyone has replacement part advice and/or part number from auto parts store that would be great.

mike,

i'm interested to find out if the sending unit fixes the problem.

i've got a 99 ss lxi with the 310 carb motor and the oil pressure

gauge has always bounced. i took and placed a mechanical gauge

in the dash so i know exactly what the oil pressure is.

let me know what happens with the new sending unit..

thanks steve

Overtons & SkiDim both carry the oil pressure sending unit.

Both should have it to you quickly.

BakesOnline has them too.

Napa has lots of choices that are similar, but they don't list the specs on it. The default sender is 0-80 PSI, 33-240 ohm.

I had the same problem when I bought the boat. Swapping out the sender fixed the fluctuations & it's been good since. Be careful when you loosen the sender to support the block that it's screwed into so you don't torque it off the engine block.

Edited by wienrdog

mike,

i'm interested to find out if the sending unit fixes the problem.

i've got a 99 ss lxi with the 310 carb motor and the oil pressure

gauge has always bounced. i took and placed a mechanical gauge

in the dash so i know exactly what the oil pressure is.

let me know what happens with the new sending unit..

thanks steve

I got some great replies in following posts and will be ordering sending unit today. I will let you know how it turns out when I install new sending unit.

Overtons & SkiDim both carry the oil pressure sending unit.

Both should have it to you quickly.

BakesOnline has them too.

Napa has lots of choices that are similar, but they don't list the specs on it. The default sender is 0-80 PSI, 33-240 ohm.

I had the same problem when I bought the boat. Swapping out the sender fixed the fluctuations & it's been good since. Be careful when you loosen the sender to support the block that it's screwed into so you don't torque it off the engine block.

Great information including the links you provided!!! I will be ordering new sending unit today.

Thanks again!

I have one in stock if you'd like me to ship it.

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks for letting me know you have one in stock and can ship to me. I always try and support good Malibu dealers and would like to order from you as long as your prices are in line with links to SkiDim and Overton's that member provided in prior response to my original post.

SkiDim has it for $35,07 including shipping and Malibu boat owners discount

Overton's has it for $26.99 including free shipping and Malibu boat owners discount

Let me know if you are interested and I will give you a call and place order (the number on your web site is 518-793-5808). I would like to place order ASAP so let me know.

Thanks again!

If the new sender don't solve your problem, clean your cannon (engine room to helm) plug. Just make sure you put it back together the same way it came apart. Put marks on it or something because it can go back together more than one way. When you find the plug you will understand what I mean.

I got some great replies in following posts and will be ordering sending unit today. I will let you know how it turns out when I install new sending unit.

thanks mike..........

steve

• 2 years later...

I replaced oil pressure sender on my 2001 SLXi with Teleflex-Sierra 18-5899 ($23.17 from Amazon.com) and it fixed problem of erratic readings at idle and low RPMs.

Don't try NAPA OP6748, it won't work, must be sender designed for marine engines.