Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

carpet stains

ricnvic

My staining is not from dirty water.

Almost as bad as the staining, is the crusty hardness presumably from the glue used.  No 'bu of ours has ever had this happen, but my dealer has not heard from 'bu either.

I agree that it is not from dirty lake water because it does not stain where water comes in with boarders, jackets, etc. My stains are from where water has saturated the carpet in a particular area. For example; water over the bow and when the front ballast tank was leaking. Whatever is staining the carpet is definitely coming from underneath.

My staining is not from dirty water.

Almost as bad as the staining, is the crusty hardness presumably from the glue used.  No 'bu of ours has ever had this happen, but my dealer has not heard from 'bu either.

I'll second that. Have had 4 boats in the same lake and only the 05 has stains when the water dries, (same with the neighbors 05). After the third time steam cleaning it the stains are not as bad and at first. Plus carpet is as matted as the 2000 was when a traded it in. We see what the dealer says after it comes back from winterizing, minor warranty work and the SS wedge bracket.

This is a repeated problem that I see mentioned a lot about the '05 boats.  I seriously doubt that the folks at Malibu don't know about this problem, but it is possible that many of the dealers don't.  If you get stains on the carpet, your first inclination isn't to think that it's bad glue or whatever, it's more like, "Okay, which kid did this?"  So I would bet that many of the dealers out there haven't been told by either Malibu or their customers that there's a problem.  I would try to get this resolved at the dealer level, but many of you may need to contact the factories directly about this.

I talked to MS @ Malibu about it on Thursday, he said he hadn't heard of any problems.

I asked him why the switched carpets in 06 and he said cuz the 05 carpet didn't react well to "oxy" clean type products.

I guess as more peeps complain, and let the FACTORY know, we might get the problem resolved, but right now, they don't have any complaints....

Interesting....

Very...because I spoke with them about it when I was seeing what my options were at the time with my rusting wedge bolts?!

Did you talk to Mike Sanchez?

No, I spoke with a girl and its been long enough that I don't remember her name. My SM was well aware of the carpet being an 05 problem. I'm pretty sure my 3 problems (rusty bolts, carpet, creaking floor) will be addressed during my winter service.

I can't believe that the factory has never heard about the 05 carpet issue.

There have been too many complains about it so far!

See this thread on the other side for example.

I especially like the "recycled pop cans" explanation. :lol:

Edited by Chaabo
I can't believe that the factory has never heard about the 05 carpet issue.

There have been too many complains about it so far!

See this thread on the other side for example.

The factory does know about it I have talked to one of the reps. He sent me a Malibu dealer carpet cleaning kit. Which translates into a small box with a white rag and a squirt bottle with some dry chemical in it that you have to dispose of after seven days when activated by adding water. My carpet is gray and has had stains O' plenty. The kit I think is to use after you have used a carpet cleaner that has phamaldehide in it. If you use a cleaner with that in it your carpet can turn green. This still stings with me to buy a brand new boat and cheap carpet. I had an 04 Malibu before I bought my 05 and never had any issues.

My '05 WS XTi has significant green-hued stains in several areas throughout the boat. Some areas are exposed to traffic/water, other areas are under seats or other covered areas. I also use the carpet inserts and rinse both the boat carpet and the inserts every 2 weeks. Nothing has worked to minimize or eliminate the green stains.

I asked my dealer about it and they claimed that mine is the first case they have come across. TYPICAL. The glue hypothesis sounds like the most viable explanation to me.

**Keep this thread alive if you are experiencing any similar issues with your carpets**

G-PAC

Our boat had the same crusty "yellow/brown" stains. All the stains were around bilge access areas. I didn't think it was such a big issue until read this post. I used Tuff Stuff on all the stains and they came right out.

Off-Topic

Ric... Ditto here on the poor service at Bel Aqua. A lot can be told by their service just by walking into thier so called customer and parts area; what mess! Boat accessories and parts laying all over the floor with zero organization at all. To me that is direct refelection of their service and maintenance practices.

All... I retire from the military in 3 years and would consider a joint venture In opening a QUALITY Malibu service center.

Sorry for the hi-jack

I thought I was loosing it. The kids never have shoes or flip flops on the boat. No sodas, juice, etc. After one season my grey carpet in the LSV looks like Crap. It is very matted and my MasterCraft buddy is giving me nothing but grief since his salesman told him the bu had really low quality carpet. I am thinking about a carpet saver but how is it possible that the carpet looks terrible after 40 hours?

If this is a known problem, then we should lean our dealers to fix this problem.

Sounds like Olefin or a poor grade nylon coupled with or possibly caused by interaction with the adhesive.

The problem you are describing is called wicking, a stain through the top of the carpet or from the backing (the glue) can literally creep up the fiber to top of the strands and the stain reappears.

Most modern nylons are impregnated with Teflon and are not only stain resistant but are also very easy to clean. Olefin is difficult to clean and is prone to matting.

Water stains are very difficult to remove, hard water in local lakes can leave rings and spots that are impossible to remove.

*edit* If you want to, you can take a strand of the carpet and burn it with a lighter, nylon will actually burn, Olefin will ball up like plastic. If its Olefin, shame on Malibu.

Ohtherwise, sounds to me like they got some poor quality materials and they are playing a bit of CYA.

Edited by Douge

Funny this topic came back to the top today. I spoke with Jorge at Malibu today. He was responding to the 6 month follow up survey they send out. Nice to see they actually look at them and contact you when you ask them to. That's why I bought another Bu!

Jorge is great to work with, he was the one who sent me my production pictures.

He said he hasn't heard of this being a problem but will look into it and be in touch with my SM for his take on it when I go in for my annual service (February or so).

He did know about the wedge bolts and said they would be addressed and was unaware of the aluminum honeycomb floor creaking.

I spoke with the service department yesterday and they advised me to use 303 carpet cleaner for now. thats what they use in the service center there.

Greg

I tried 303 carpet cleaner at the end of the year. Got rid of the stain right after spraying it on. The brown stain rings did come back till after the third or fourth outing, but not at dark this time. Maybe after a good second cleaning, they might not show up next year. Didn't do anything for the mating.