Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Waterski v. Wakeboard

SkiBumPMC

Waterski v. Wakeboard...Just curious on what your thoughts are?

• Which is easier to learn?
  • Which requires more skill?
  • Which is more fun?
  • Which one do you prefer & why?

Edited by SkiBumPMC

Which is easier to learn? Wakeboard.

Which requires more skill? Let’s see…running a slalom course or doing inverts. Since I can’t do inverts yet I would have to say wakeboarding.

Which is more fun? Wakeboarding when you're watching someone else faceplant.

Which one do you prefer & why? Enjoy them both.

• Which is more fun?

For me:

Easiest to learn- Wakeboard

Most skill- Slalom ski

Most fun- Wakeboard

Preference- Depends

Average newbie on my boat:

Easiest to learn- combo skis

Most skill- Wakeboard

More fun- Wakeboard

Preference- Wakeboard

Loose both...BAREFOOT

:plus1:

Really I'm now skiing more than footing

I've only wake boarded one time and took a hard fall. I thought it was a harder fall than any barefoot fall I've taken.

I've only wake boarded one time and took a hard fall. I thought it was a harder fall than any barefoot fall I've taken.

Exactly. I've hardly been on the boat, but the few times out this year I've footed once, with a boatload. My buddies and kids are afraid to go, looks too fast, afraid to fall, etc. It's all in perception. The falls on barefooting look dramatic because there is tumbling involved, but at least you are dispersing the energy. Wakeboarding, you absorb ALL of it, usually (for me) with one side of your head.

The problem with barefooting is the water can't be marginal, it has to be pretty flat. Versus wakeboarding, where you can still put together a decent run with some chop.

I only slalom to drop a ski and barefoot.

So I guess my vote is wakeboarding, that's what I do most of.

I definitely prefer slalom over wakeboarding but still do it once in awhile to mix things up. There is nothing quite like carving a perfect turn and then being rocketed across the wake on early morning glass. As far as which one is more difficult, I would say slalom is harder to learn and perfect, but wakeboarding does require its own set of specific skills.

1. Wakeboarding - If we are considering skiing as slalom then this is my response. If two skis are involved then they are both pretty easy to start out on.

2. They are both require a crap load of time and practice to get good at so I don't think it is fair to say one requires more skill than the other

3. I like to go fast and turn hard - so skiing.

4. see above.

Loose both...BAREFOOT

:rofl: that answer rocks! Just got my boat this year and that is what I am most excited to learn. I've only done it once off of a boom many moons ago!

1. Wakeboarding - If we are considering skiing as slalom then this is my response. If two skis are involved then they are both pretty easy to start out on.

2. They are both require a crap load of time and practice to get good at so I don't think it is fair to say one requires more skill than the other

:plus1:

Wakeboarding may be easier to learn than slalom just because of surface area and the time it takes to pop out of the water on a deep water start, but there are those, like my son, who just can't ride sideways for some reason. He skis on two easily and is now attempting to drop one. Same goes on snow, he tried like a champ to snowboard a few years ago and just couldn't get it on bigger hills. He now snow skis well enough to almost keep up with me on my snowboard and my 22 years of experience.

I can't answer which is more fun or which I prefer because I really like them both equally. I take a slalom run to get the adrenaline flowing and warm up the body, then slow it down for a wake run. This makes everything seem much slower and softer and if I do fall, I usually have enoungh time to get my body in proper position to not take an ear shot or face plant (yet).

Both are easy for many people to get started. To get to advanced levels will take time and skill. The big thing is the driver of the boat can be a deal breaker weather a newbie gets up or not! I thought I was a good skier until I ran a course! OH!!!! it humbles one in secounds......... Wakeboard fall hurt more often (JMHO).

• Which is more fun?

Wakeboard

To be "good", waterskiing, to look "good" wakeboarding

When I could take the falls, wakeboarding

waterskiing

Lots of different opinions here. I have always been a slalom skier seems easy and natural. Wake boarding on the other hand has not come to me at all. Sit crouched in the water , driver hits it, water pours over the top edge of the board , it sinks down into the water, the resistance becomes insane and i have to let go of the rope. My daughter says "I don't know dad , you just literally disappear". I am going to keep on trying but it seems a lot tougher than skiing.

• Which is more fun?

to learn?..Wakeboard...to advance in...I'd say equal.

They both do, but only if you advance. For instance, I have seen 1000's of wakeboarders, but never seen anything more than one or two W2W's with a 180 thrown in.

They both can be fun.

skiing, been doing it for 47 years, long before wakeboard was even a word. I will take a few WB rides every year though, but getting to old to learn new tricks.

Edited by electricjohn

Lots of different opinions here. I have always been a slalom skier seems easy and natural. Wake boarding on the other hand has not come to me at all. Sit crouched in the water , driver hits it, water pours over the top edge of the board , it sinks down into the water, the resistance becomes insane and i have to let go of the rope. My daughter says "I don't know dad , you just literally disappear". I am going to keep on trying but it seems a lot tougher than skiing.

Point your toes when that starts to happen. You are keeping the board too vertical.... it needs to start flattening out to give you some lift. If you point your toes, the board will go into a lift mode and it'll all work like magic.

Both are easy for many people to get started. To get to advanced levels will take time and skill. The big thing is the driver of the boat can be a deal breaker weather a newbie gets up or not! I thought I was a good skier until I ran a course! OH!!!! it humbles one in secounds......... Wakeboard fall hurt more often (JMHO).

I think barefootin falls hurt more till you learn to curl into a ball, but sometimes you can;t even do that.

Oooof.... I don't know! The first attempts at footing' for me ended in a couple crashes as hard if not harder than anything I've taken on my board, including the caught heelside digger that ripped me out of the new lace up style boots!

martinarcher

Push down on your tows and the board will rise immediately (directing water under the board and not keeping it in front of it). You shouldn't have much if any water coming over the top edge of the board.

I like them all. I wakeboard (just starting inverts), slalom (rounding the third ball), footing (off the boom with a short rope), and surfing.

I guess it depends on my mood, but if the water is smooth in the evening I can't resist a run on the ski! Rockon.gif

Point your toes when that starts to happen. You are keeping the board too vertical.... it needs to start flattening out to give you some lift. If you point your toes, the board will go into a lift mode and it'll all work like magic.

Thanks for the tip shawndoggy I will give that a try the next time I am out.

Push down on your tows and the board will rise immediately (directing water under the board and not keeping it in front of it). You shouldn't have much if any water coming over the top edge of the board.

I like them all. I wakeboard (just starting inverts), slalom (rounding the third ball), footing (off the boom with a short rope), and surfing.

I guess it depends on my mood, but if the water is smooth in the evening I can't resist a run on the ski! Rockon.gif

Thnaks Martinarcher souns like that is what I am doing wrong. will give it a try next time I am out.

• Which is more fun?

1- Wakeboarding

2- Slalom throughout the skill band

3- I enjoy wakeboarding most of the time, its more relaxing and you can just chill out and enjoy yourself, but NOTHING beats a few perfect turns on a slalom ski. Okay, the very first time I barefooted did but thats it.

4- Slalom, nothing beats that perfect feeling.

EDIT: Wakeboard falls hurt the most almost all the time, but every once in a blue moon a slalom or barefoot fall will leave me pouring water out of my expanded eye-sockets.

Edited by TrickyNicky