Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

HELP !! Just sunk my LXi !!

Johnny Response

Looking for some urgent advice, quickly. I just go caught in a terrible storm with my 05 Response tied up to a bouy with 4' waves coming over the bow and I couldn't get the cover on quick enough. The boat is currently completely under water. Besides getiing it on the trailer some how, what should I do ?

I'd appriciate help from anyone that's been in this situattion before.

thanks, . . . Johnny

OUCH!!! The sun will dry a lot of it out. Fuel tank will have to be drained and cleaned. Same with the engine. Pull the plugs and get the cylinders dried out. As for instruments…no clue.

Are you in the shuswaps? If so where? You will probably need a crane. Start with the Sicamous Marina and they should be able to help find a barge crane etc to get it lifted. Another thought is call your insurance company they may be able to help with/organize the recovery and it would be part of the "loss".

Ugh, hopefully fresh water. If you are not mechanically inclined obviously getting to any marine mechanic in the am asap. Tonight, i would try to pull the spark plugs, turn the engine over to expel any water and pump something like wd-40 into the cylinders and into the intake to try an save any corrosion in the cylinders. Tomorrow, if you try it yourself, you will have to drain oil(and filter), tran, v-drive, gas tank. Need water remover additive in the gas to try and restart. After running a few minutes check you engine oil for water(milky), you may have to change it another time or so. Good luck. Chris

Get your insurance agent involved right away. Get an adjuster on the scene right away.

Assuming the engine did not take water into the block would be too much to ask.

You will most likely need to rent a pump and a generator to run it unless you can rent a gas powered water pump.

Get as much water out of your boat as possible.

Do not try to start the engine.

Get your boat on the trailer to drain the rest of the water out.

Drain the oil completely out and the refill.

Remove the spark plugs. Crank the engine over. Determine if there is water in the engine. If not re-install the spark plugs and see if it will start. Doubtful.

If the engine is to ever run again the water in it must be flushed out immediately and the engine started and running.

Determine what your insurance company will do to cover your loss.

Your best option is to see if they will replace the boat and put yours up for salvage.

Advise those of us on the Malibu Crew where and when the auction will take place on your old boat while you are enjoying your new one.

The best outcome for you is a replacement boat.

And one of the Crew buys your boat for a dollar and refurbishes it.

In you are in BC (Shuswap area)give Malibu Marine in Kelowna a call and pick up a new BU before you vacation is over or take the boat to them at least and let them begin the process! Give your insurance company a call before doing anything as was suggested. Sorry to hear the bad news but i am sure if you begin drying things out soon and give it time you may be ok. Keep us posted

Edited by old skool malibu

just looked at environment canada radar maps.... that looks like a pretty major storm that moved through.....our boat was in our marina on Mara lake in July when a big thunderstorm moved through....the winds were high enough to pull our cover off(wind from the side) we were throwing extra lines on and then all you can do is watch and wait... pretty helpless feeling

First order of business is to get it floating again. Is there any way to get it upright at all to tow or is it bobbing bow-up? If it's just heavily swamped, keep it upright and tow it to a beach somewhere where you can bottom the hull gently. Then get out a 5 gallon pail and go to work. It's best if you can do this at a launch where you can put it on your trailer after you get the water out. Do NOT try to put it on the trailer until it can at least float on its own. You could destroy the hull if you try pulling it out of the water full.

As others have said, you need to drain all fuel and oil ASAP and get fresh stuff in there. I like the idea of pulling the plugs and cycling the starter a few times, then blasting the cylinders with something that displaces water and cranking it over again. You may want to be careful when you do this though as fuel/oil/water mix will come blasting out of the heads.

Gauges, I don't know...

I'd be real surprised if you didn't lose all your seat cushions too.

just looked at environment canada radar maps.... that looks like a pretty major storm that moved through.....our boat was in our marina on Mara lake in July when a big thunderstorm moved through....the winds were high enough to pull our cover off(wind from the side) we were throwing extra lines on and then all you can do is watch and wait... pretty helpless feeling

Gmac - I pulled into Mara last year as a big storm hit..I beleive one boat went down. Glad I wasnt on the water at that time. Where on Mara are you. I am typically at Club Mara (south end).

Edited by old skool malibu

Gmac - I pulled into Mara last year as a big storm hit..I beleive one boat went down. Glad I wasnt on the water at that time. Where on Mara are you. I am typically at Club Mara (south end).

Grandview shores... they were reinstalling the breakwater so we were exposed for the storm... few stress cracks out of the deal

Jonny

We are assuming you are in the Shuswap..correct?? If you are near Sicamous give Rene a call at Eagle Valley Boat & RV Storage

2054 Trans-Canada Hwy,

Sicamous, BC V0E 2V0

250-836-2860

He will help you out or get you the help you need. He is a mechanic, jack of all trades and does warranty work for Wizard Lake Marine. Keep us posted man.

Did anybody elses heart flutter when reading the OP? :cry: Calm down, hopefully you and/or any family/friends are safe. Retrieve the boat later but don't try to run it as earlier stated, call your insurance company asap, they should guide you through the rest. I feel your pain, for a split second I thought I was going down last year, no fun at all.

Never a good thing to read. Wait until the enviromentalists catch wind. I guess thats why most policieshave like 800,000.00 worth of enviro insurance. Like everyone else is saying, call your insurance company right away, and get that boat onto dry land asap. THe longer its in the water, the worse its going to get. and yeah, your seat cushions are probably gone. Best of luck man.

:(

Pull the plug, give her a kiss goodbye, and let her sink to the bottom. Then you'll be almost guaranteed to get a new boat from the insurance. If you try too hard to salvage her you'll more than likely end up with a mechanical lemon for the rest of her boating time.

Sad.gif Very sorry to hear about this. Best of luck!

Pull the plug, give her a kiss goodbye, and let her sink to the bottom. Then you'll be almost guaranteed to get a new boat from the insurance. If you try too hard to salvage her you'll more than likely end up with a mechanical lemon for the rest of her boating time.

Sad.gif Very sorry to hear about this. Best of luck!

Won't happen. They don't sink unless loaded with a bunch of lead weight. NMMA won't certify them if they don't maintain some buoyancy even if fully swamped.

So many opinions of opposite information. I could add one more - in my experience, don't pull it out of the water until you are ready to begin work on the engine immediately. It's already sunk. It won't get more sunk as time goes on.

I do subscribe to the "just call insurance" camp.

Let them tell you what they want you to do. Assuming you have full coverage, it's their boat now anyway. Truly. Boats only sink once.

Sorry to hear the bad day. Yikes. Very helpless feeling. I can't imagine.

Won't happen. They don't sink unless loaded with a bunch of lead weight. NMMA won't certify them if they don't maintain some buoyancy even if fully swamped.

:plus1: but there isn't much difference other than the retrieval process if it's completely full of water :(

Why would you want to even save/salvage it? Call your insurance company, get the process going, and in a few weeks go buy a new (or new to you) boat with the check they send you.

I don't mean to be insensitive because you are probably 'mourning' right now, but a boat that has been submerged will most likely be plagued with problems down the road.

Thanks for all the useful feedback. Here's an update from the Shuswap via USB wireless modem. We managed to get the boat up out of the water enough, a foot, enough so we could start bailing. An hour later, it's completely floating with the builge pump empty, although wet and dirty. I can easily get it on the trailer in the morning, then I'll start changing the oil and flush the cylinders.

I guess calling the insurance co is the right thing to do but I'm hesitant, as I think I know what has to be done. I've attached a picture the shows how submerged it was, it didn't sink to the bottom.

thanks again. Please keep the feedback coming.

Johnny