Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

01 sunsetter w/ monsoon 325 ideal prop

CHEYNESPUB

People commented on the ideal prop for the 01 sunsetter with the 325 monsoon already. I wanted to run what acme said by the crew to make sure I am covering all my bases.

This was the response when I enquired about said boat. I said that my max RPM was 4500 and i GPS'd it at 41. With 13x13 cvp prop.

"Cheyne,

The 525 will be about 1mph slowere than the 515.

If 4500 rpm is your max going to 5000 will not give you any more speed.

Thank You "

Does this sound right? I remember reading that the 525 would be faster on the top end? I had about equal comments suggesting both props for the job.

Looking for top speed but sacrificing in the low end doesnt really sound appealing either.

Thanks again. About 4-5 hours of sanding and the deck is ready for OIL. I will post before and after pics. I am also going to pick up a cheap buffer to polish the boat. I want this baby looking brand new.

On the down side. I am discovering lots of small rust stains that will not come off the vinly. Also samll BB sized scuffs that have removed the vinyls shiny surface. Any repair for these types of blemishes? Fortunately the rust is in hidden areas between the seats.

Thanks for all the help.

People commented on the ideal prop for the 01 sunsetter with the 325 monsoon already. I wanted to run what acme said by the crew to make sure I am covering all my bases.

This was the response when I enquired about said boat. I said that my max RPM was 4500 and i GPS'd it at 41. With 13x13 cvp prop.

"Cheyne,

The 525 will be about 1mph slowere than the 515.

If 4500 rpm is your max going to 5000 will not give you any more speed.

Thank You "

Does this sound right? I remember reading that the 525 would be faster on the top end? I had about equal comments suggesting both props for the job.

Looking for top speed but sacrificing in the low end doesnt really sound appealing either.

Thanks again. About 4-5 hours of sanding and the deck is ready for OIL. I will post before and after pics. I am also going to pick up a cheap buffer to polish the boat. I want this baby looking brand new.

On the down side. I am discovering lots of small rust stains that will not come off the vinly. Also samll BB sized scuffs that have removed the vinyls shiny surface. Any repair for these types of blemishes? Fortunately the rust is in hidden areas between the seats.

Thanks for all the help.

That is correct, the 525 offers a better hole shot but will loose about 1mph on the top end. I previously had the 525 on my SLXI but now would more than likely I get the 515 myself. Keep in mind try one and switch it out for the other, Acme does this all the time. More than likely at 13x13 is on the boat now so either prop will improve the hole shot w/ minimal top end loss.

At the elevation that you want to run at, I think that you should go with the 525 & here's why. Under ideal conditions (no footer, glassy water, no wind, etc) there may be a 1mph difference between the 2 props. But did you ask them how it would change things to put a footer behind the boat at WOT? I'd bet that it will. I thinkt that the 525 will hold speed better than the 515 with a footer back there. In other words, you won't gain anything more, but you'll hold onto it better with the 525. I'd be curious to hear what their thoughts on that.

Putting the 525 on our old boat was the single best thing we ever did to it! Tower speakers were great, newer wedge was great, dripless packing was nice...but the Acme 525 was awesome compared to the old CVP prop.

Again, equally good points but no clear leader. I wonder if it will even be noticeable. What is my issue with not getting to 5000 rpm?

Again, I know both Acme and OJ will exchange props so pick one and if you don't like it try the other, the only thing it costs you is shipping. That way you have practical knowledge and don't end up w/ a prop that doesn't suit your needs. The 515 or the 525 will rip the handle with the hammer thrown down. With the 525 I had someone barefoot off the boom w/o any issues w/ a Monsoon 325HP SLXI and getting into the lower 40's. He was roughly 210-220lbs this was at roughly only a couple hundred feet above sea level.

Again, equally good points but no clear leader. I wonder if it will even be noticeable. What is my issue with not getting to 5000 rpm?

You won't have an issue with that with the 525, I think you'll be pretty close to dialed in. At that elevation, you won't be as close with the 515. As far as speed difference between 4500-5000, I think that it comes down to the Monsoon not having enough ponies to push the boat any faster at those rpms. Where the difference comes in is when drag is introduced, like a footer, which prop is going to hold that speed better?

I can tell you one thing for sure, at 4k' plus of elevation you won't be over-revving that Monsoon with the 525. I doubt that you'd push it much past 5k rpms, if you even rev it to that. I'm guessing probably closer to 4800 based on my experience in this area.

• 3 weeks later...

Ride report with the new 525 Acme. Altitude is 3500 ft.

Previous RPM was 4550 with two people. New RPM is 4900 with 4 people a dog and the ballast filled (oops).

Old top speed was 40-41. New top speed is a solid 42 with the above people on board.

Thanks for the advice.

Where should I buy the shaft packing? Tightening mine did not accomplish the job. I am taking on about a gallon every 1/2 hour.

I would not worry about a gallon every half hour. Taking on 4 gallons in an 8 hour day would not even activate your bilge pump.

Maybe I am mistaken on the speed. It will activate the bilge every few hours.

Ride report with the new 525 Acme. Altitude is 3500 ft.

Previous RPM was 4550 with two people. New RPM is 4900 with 4 people a dog and the ballast filled (oops).

Old top speed was 40-41. New top speed is a solid 42 with the above people on board.

Thanks for the advice.

Where should I buy the shaft packing? Tightening mine did not accomplish the job. I am taking on about a gallon every 1/2 hour.

Sounds like you're dialed in. Dump the ballast & she'll more than likely give you a bit more. :thumbup:

Maybe I am mistaken on the speed. It will activate the bilge every few hours.

Even activating your bilge pump every few hours is just fine.

What you don't want to do is tighten the packing nut until heat starts to build.

Still sounds to me like you have everything dialed in pretty good...

Even activating your bilge pump every few hours is just fine.

What you don't want to do is tighten the packing nut until heat starts to build.

Still sounds to me like you have everything dialed in pretty good...

I thightened it up as good as I could. Say 3/4 arm power plus a bead of sweat. When I first put a wrench on it, it popped free really easily and one of the instructional videos said it needed to be pretty tight. That said pretty tight and 3/4 throttle dont equate to much.

Could I have over tightened it?