Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine ECU no Data

Out last night on my 2007 VTX and then the message popped up in the display intermitantly. It would come up and indicate the number of seconds without engine data. Engine is the monsoon in case that matters. When this happens, I lose the speedo, the cruise, the Tach, as well as the feed to the OIL, Temp, and Volt guage. I can hit "E" and it clears the error, but obviously not the problem. Thoughts? PO was out and it sounds like there is a $250 module that needs to be replaced...just wasn't clear on what that was exactly. Boat ran normal FWIW. We still boarded, but it's hard to drive by ear and stay consistent.

I think there are a few reasons why this message will come up. When I got it, a big purple electrical connector was unplugged, which is located in this area. Might be worth checking to make sure it's seated properly and add some di-electric grease while your at it.

post-8316-128156091565_thumb.jpg

Thanks! I will check that connector out tomorrow. Got No Wake to order me the MMDC just in case. They indicated about a week to get it in. Clearing it with the "E" did not seem to fix it for good last night.

I checked the purple connector, it is in good shape and tight. There is a small elbow on the opposite corner of the engine (star/stern) that appears unplugged from something. Can't find what. I also charged battery one...it was low to the point that starting the boat was difficult. My charger has an alternator check function, and it reported that the alternator was out of range...not sure what that means. Could be high output, could be crap...I can't tell. Did not get to run the boat, so I can't tell if anything I did was a solution, but I will tomorrow. I do mean to get pics up soon of the boat too.

Unfortunately, even after ensuring both batteries were fully charged, and that the Purple connector was clean and connected well with dielectric grease, nada. The Engine ECU warning is on all the time. Makes boarding with my wife driving impossible since she can't hold speed for chit. :whistle:

I'll just have to wait for No Wake to get the part in from Indmar. Pulled it out of the water yesterday to clean her up. Lots of hair, some dirt, and pretzel pieces in the seat cracks.

• 4 weeks later...

New MMDC went into the boat. Worked beautifully....for about 20 minutes, then it sporadically came and went throughout the day. Bummer. Going to have to haul it to the dealer for some more diagnosis. I notice that battery 1 goes low fairly quickly while we idle around listening to the stereo. Could be the alternator is going bad and not charging maybe causing the issue?

New MMDC went into the boat. Worked beautifully....for about 20 minutes, then it sporadically came and went throughout the day. Bummer. Going to have to haul it to the dealer for some more diagnosis. I notice that battery 1 goes low fairly quickly while we idle around listening to the stereo. Could be the alternator is going bad and not charging maybe causing the issue?

Check all your ground wire one of mine came loose after a mod and caused similar problems redid the connection and haven't had a problem since.

Edited by NvBoarder

So I hop in the boat to go to my lakes committee meeting last night. Run blower while uncovering, run bilge to evacuate water accumulated while sitting in the water, boat turns over and I am greeted by the screem on the depth guage. Shove off and idle 5 minutes to the high speed area, run 25 mph for about 5 minutes to the docks at our community center, idle up to the dock and tie off. No issues. Huh? Come back after the meeting and it is dark. I run the blower while I untie from the dock and pull up bumpers, boat turns over nice, and I idle all the way home because it is dark and the lake is at no wake. 30 minutes....no ECU issues. Huh?

Could this be something that will require multiple restarts for the ECU and MMDC to learn about eachother? Going to take it out and board tonite...see if I can get it to throw the error on the screen again. I am stumped.

• 2 weeks later...

Boarded fine for about 30 minutes, then the ECU message came back. Bummer. Took it to the dealer and the diagnosis was a corroded prong on the ECU which cannot be repaired according to Indmar. Boat is out of warranty so we are going to try a used ECU. Hopefully this fixes the issue and so long as the hours get documented on the boat, I will be good with that.