Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How much weight

Greg_S

I'm looking at getting the sky high sacs for surfing. Each is 400lbs. when full. Outside of the 75lb disclaimer, how much can safely be put in the locker without swamping the boat or damaging anything?

Edited by Greg_S

We use two 440LB SL sacs in each locker. That is on top of the factory filled tank in that same locker. We empty the other locker.

These big boats, you have to put some SERIOUS weight in them before they are in danger of taking water over the side. Now over the bow, that's another issue...

Typical surfing set up: 04 WS 23 LSV // My ballast tanks are NOT under the floor.

Wedge down (they say 1000LB's of down force)

Rear factory locker tank full (250lb - what they claim)

440LB SL sac full

440LB SL sac full

(so a total of 1000+LB in that locker)

other side locker empty

Midship ballast full

Bow ballast full

Gas tank, generally 3/4 to 1/2 full

With only 2 people in the boat, one rider: This wake is great regular foot. And goofy it's rideable hands free.

I prefer more people (VAB) in the boat though. It really helps the wake. And if you can talk someone into doing the TX style hang from the side of the tower - it adds significantly to the wake.

Edited by chathamsolutions
Greg,

You have the ballast tanks under the floor, correct?  Is that why you're asking?

He said he has two 440LB SL sacs in each locker. plus the stock (under the floor ). I wasn't sure if he was stacking them or used 2, 1 in each locker. If he puts 2 on 1 side plus stock, that's 1,080 of ballast! I didn't know if you could put that much in there.

I would think if your tank is full of water, you'd be OK. If it were empty, and having to support all that weight as a shell, it could be an issue.

I've said this before though, anyone have pics of what the boat looks like before the floor is laid down. There has to be a way to lay a couple 2x4's or some aluminum bars, or something across the floor back there. If you knew where the supports for the floor were located, you could just make sure the boards/bars were long enough to reach over the supports, then you wouldn't have to worry about weight.

The tank, being a vented tank, shouldn't matter full or empty. It won't support more weight with water in it. If it were to collapse, it would just squirt out the overflow vent.

Ahhh missed the "2" 440 sacks

I agree the goofy side is always better.  Gooooo goofy  Crazy.gif

Sorry, when I said the wake was great Regular I meant that it is better. The Goofy wake is not better on my boat, nor should it be on yours. The prop spin screws it up.

To make the goofy side equal to the regular side you'd probably need another 250LB sac to even it out. Or at least one VAB.

With my tank on the side, there's not room in the locker for both sacs. We have to surf withthe locker door open. Sucked the first few times, now we're used to it. No issues.

On my boat, the wake on the goofy side is clearly better, even with me moving out of the driver seat, and steering from the observer seat.

Not sure why that is

Greg,

You have the ballast tanks under the floor, correct?  Is that why you're asking?

He said he has two 440LB SL sacs in each locker. plus the stock (under the floor ). I wasn't sure if he was stacking them or used 2, 1 in each locker. If he puts 2 on 1 side plus stock, that's 1,080 of ballast! I didn't know if you could put that much in there.

Actually, Andy's boat is an '04 with the above-the-floor tanks. They didn't start putting them in the floor until '05. With that said, check out this thread:

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1892

There is a good discussion on what bags to use & the issue of the tanks under the floor.

Edited by WakeGirl

My goofy wake seems to be better as well.

I'm going to look into getting a heavy gauge metal fabricated for the floor. I'll see what my sheet metal sub contractor can come up with. I'll post when I get more info.

Greg,

Actually, Andy's boat is an '04 with the above-the-floor tanks. They didn't start putting them in the floor until '05. With that said, check out this thread:

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1892

There is a good discussion on what bags to use & the issue of the tanks under the floor.

I haven't read through it, did you get them? and how do they work? Which pump did you get?

I haven't gotten them yet, mainly because I can't make up my mind. I'm seriously thinking about getting the big one, the 750 pounder shown here:

http://www.wakeside.com/page/W/PROD/wakebo...gh_fat_sac_W707

If you read through that thread, there is one guy that has an '04 VLX that bought this sack & it fits pretty good. That means that it should fit even better in our boats. I've done some measuring & side to side & vertically they should fit great, they're just a touch on the long side which I don't think is a huge issue as long as you don't seriously overfill them. From what I understand these Pro X sacks do a better job of holding their shape than other brands, but I'm only speaking from what I've read of them. If you could get it mostly full, say over 600 lbs worth, then you'd have over 800 on one side.

I haven't gotten them yet, mainly because I can't make up my mind.  I'm seriously thinking about getting the big one, the 750 pounder shown here:

http://www.wakeside.com/page/W/PROD/wakebo...gh_fat_sac_W707

If you read through that thread, there is one guy that has an '04 VLX that bought this sack & it fits pretty good.  That means that it should fit even better in our boats.  I've done some measuring & side to side & vertically they should fit great, they're just a touch on the long side which I don't think is a huge issue as long as you don't seriously overfill them.  From what I understand these Pro X sacks do a better job of holding their shape than other brands, but I'm only speaking from what I've read of them.  If you could get it mostly full, say over 600 lbs worth, then you'd have over 800 on one side.

I've got a W707 here...we should test fit it sometime!

Thanks Tracie, how long are the lockers? I can't go check because its at the dealer getting speakers and accessories installed.

Are you going to have yours plumbed in or use a tsunami pump?

IIRC the lockers are 48" long at the longest point (on the opposite end from the transom the bulkhead slopes & isn't straight down, so that measurement is smaller the closer to the top that you get). I can take some more accurate measurements if you like.

Mike,

Definitely! We're just a little pushed for time over the next week or so, of course the weather is crap anyway. Maybe the weekend after next, weather permitting?

IIRC the lockers are 48" long at the longest point (on the opposite end from the transom the bulkhead slopes & isn't straight down, so that measurement is smaller the closer to the top that you get).  I can take some more accurate measurements if you like.

Mike,

Definitely!  We're just a little pushed for time over the next week or so, of course the weather is crap anyway.  Maybe the weekend after next, weather permitting?

That's close enough, thanks. Plumb or pump?

Oh, sorry. I think that I'm going to plumb them in, I just haven't figured that part out yet. I'm seriously thinking about changing out the existing pumps for the rear ballast for some seriously high speed pumps & just teeing off of the fill/empty/vent lines. It does present some problems though - the probability is high that the pressure from the sack would force water out from both itself & the tank regardless of how plumbing is run. Also, thought would need to be given to getting the sack emptied first, then the tank. So there are some obstacles to overcome, but I think that it's doable. I just haven't really given it a thorough think-through.

I think you know this Greg but I had my 750# pro x and 6 people in Woody's 05 vlx. The water was up to the gas cap and the wake was huge (not like the 247) but big. You will not be disappointed with them, plus have your mid and front tanks full. I really think the newer VLX need the LB's in the front.

I think you know this Greg but I had my 750# pro x and 6 people in Woody's 05 vlx. The water was up to the gas cap and the wake was huge (not like the 247) but big. You will not be disappointed with them, plus have your mid and front tanks full. I really think the newer VLX need the LB's in the front.

I don't have ballast up front, but I do have pop bags that I move around. How long does it take to fill and empty the 750#? Did you have the wedge up or down?