Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Scary Phone Call with my Dealer

G-Mack

Called to book my boat in today to have some minor work done. Dealer to date has been phenomenal with great service and I am one of their biggest fans.

Got the this line for the first time... I'd like to book my boat in..."Did you buy it from us?"... no does that make a difference.... "It can".... how.... " Tough to say".

Holy Crap... that doesn't sound good. Anyone else get fed this line and then experience real fallout from it.... I'm interested to see if there has been a change of heart or leadership up there.... :dontknow:

If you did buy from them, they'll typically take better care of you... meaning if you are in a real bind like heading out for a HB trip and need something little and they can help...maybe they'd squeeze you in, or do something on the spot instead of making you an appointment for 3 weeks from now. When I worked in a bicycle shop in HS we had 2 service boards. One for recently purchased or repeat customers, and one for everyone else.

***But if you were a pretty girl, you usually got on the spot service from one of us HS hormones... :drool::woot::blush::love:

Edited by Faceplant409

I've lived the unwritten rules of did you buy it here... never been directly asked or semi threatened.

You say.... as a middle age balding fried chicken eater I won't be line jumping anytime soon... I hate profiling :Tease3:

Edited by G-Mack

With Bakes you get the same great service no matter what brand or where you bought it. Malibu warranty work is just that, you bill the factory for it. It just makes you wonder where Malibu's head is at.

Edited by MalibuTime

I've gotten that - yep. It is what it is. Boat dealers have limited service resources, and if they have a choice to service a customer that purchased their boat at that dealership or service a customer that did not - they'll put their loyalty with the boat-buying customer. This really only happens when they're booked up past 100% capacity and are prioritizing customers. At least that's my experience.

Lots of debate has been had on all sorts of boat boards whether that's smart or not, fair or not, forward thinking or not, etc. I buy used. Always. Can't ever imagine not buying used...and private party. I'd pay more to buy from a dealer - and I won't. That's their point. It is what it is. I'm just a service customer. It's even worse for warranty work - when a customer pits two brands or two dealers of the same brand against each other and negotiates a low-ball price. Then goes back to the local guy that he DIDN'T buy from and expects cordial warranty work. I don't know your scoop - I'm just generalizing. It's pretty common practice what you are experiencing.

Bottom line, in my opinon, no matter your situation, it's best to have a relationship with your service center so that when they ask "did you buy your boat here..." you answer - "Is this Service-Manager-Mike? This is Jerry, I have that red, white and blue Response that you guys do all the work on".

I'm hoping it's just a point in space and not a trend... I usually deal with the service manager (more by luck than being one of those hard to deal with customers). I completely respect the priotization and will wait my turn based on available service spots. I always live by the salesman sells you the first boat the service sells you the rest. I was just surprised how (truthfully) ignorant that position comes across on the phone...

As a dealer they have been phenomenal to date so I'm banking on the point in space... The service manager knows he has gotten over $10 K in warranty work and accessories... with the warranty up in Septemeber I am at the crossroads.... support the dealer through mutual respect or find a new path (I can get closer and cheaper mechanical work) but I am one of those crazy loyal people who live you treat me like I treat you (do unto others....)

I'm hoping it's just a point in space and not a trend... I usually deal with the service manager (more by luck than being one of those hard to deal with customers). I completely respect the priotization and will wait my turn based on available service spots. I always live by the salesman sells you the first boat the service sells you the rest. I was just surprised how (truthfully) ignorant that position comes across on the phone...

As a dealer they have been phenomenal to date so I'm banking on the point in space... The service manager knows he has gotten over $10 K in warranty work and accessories... with the warranty up in Septemeber I am at the crossroads.... support the dealer through mutual respect or find a new path (I can get closer and cheaper mechanical work) but I am one of those crazy loyal people who live you treat me like I treat you (do unto others....)

CalMar? or Wizard?

Edited by mac19

That kind of a response tell me he doesn’t want your business very bad. Either that or he's a jerk.

He probably does want the business, just not at this time of year :lol: Seriously though, the dealer has limited resources and in a business where work is nearly non-existent 2/3 the year and more then they can handle the other 1/3 the priority has to go to boat buying and/or repeat customers.

My line of work is semi-similar in that we are swamped in the summer months on big jobs and can't do all the little stuff that we would normally jump all over in the slower months.

He probably does want the business, just not at this time of year :lol: Seriously though, the dealer has limited resources and in a business where work is nearly non-existent 2/3 the year and more then they can handle the other 1/3 the priority has to go to boat buying and/or repeat customers.

My line of work is semi-similar in that we are swamped in the summer months on big jobs and can't do all the little stuff that we would normally jump all over in the slower months.

:plus1:

I bought my boat from them and have had great service. Most businesses thrive on repeat customers and the fact that my boat gets in when needed is important to me and is a reason why i would buy there again.

Edited by Cervelo
MalibuNation

Everyone at my dealership knows me me ... from sales, owner, service, pro shop ... I spend some good $ there every year.

Edited by MalibuNation

The powersports dealer where I worked started keeping 2 schedules. One for people who bought toys there and then others. We felt we needed to take care of our loyal customers first. I would always go out of my way to help anyone, but if it was a one or the other situation? If you just spend 30K with us and the other guy bought a boat on the other side of the lake to save 50 bucks... You make the call

After re-reading that post it is one of the worst sentencences I have ever puked out, but I dont have the brain power right now to re-word it... Hope the point gets across...

:crazy:

First take care of your customers whom purchased there is understandable just a perk. Though it’s not so much that they are putting them first it’s all in the delivery and how it’s handled that really makes the difference. I bet servicing and sales of gear overtime will equal or surpass the profit the dealer gets from a new boat sale and perhaps you’ll buy a new boat someday, again it’s all in how you are treated imho.

I guess those that end up having to move due needing a job or keeping one just get screwed though to no fault of their own. The guy that just wants to squeeze out that last few dollars and pins dealer against dealer and is a real jerk about it would really anger me so I totally understand not making his repairs a priority either.

I fully understand the policy. What I don't get is the need to verbalize that. I mean, the local dealer here did not have a three year old VTX for me to buy. What should I do? Lump it and buy something else from him that doesn't meet my needs either physically or financially? It so happens that my boat was bought from my local, just not by me. I hope they respect that I stayed local, and will be returning this boat to them for service. I think I will not have a problem though as my local is pretty darn good from all accounts.

Yep the shop where I take my boat gives priority to people who have purchased boats from him. They get a lower labour rate as well. I can see his point. The guy who buys the big ticket item is going to expect to get 5 star service.

This subject has come up a few times over the years. From what I understand it's pretty common practice, especially with inboard dealers. But some guys may handle it better than others.

I try not to get anything done this time of year. Anyone in the retail boating industry, ie; dealers, upholstery shops, stereo shops, etc., is swamped right now. In the off season they will be looking for work, easy to collaborate with on custom work & more willing to dicker with you on price. :rockon:

I fully understand the policy. What I don't get is the need to verbalize that. I mean, the local dealer here did not have a three year old VTX for me to buy. What should I do? Lump it and buy something else from him that doesn't meet my needs either physically or financially? It so happens that my boat was bought from my local, just not by me. I hope they respect that I stayed local, and will be returning this boat to them for service. I think I will not have a problem though as my local is pretty darn good from all accounts.

I agree 100%, I would never let it be known to someone who didnt purchase the product there...

I also agree that the delivery is always what makes the difference. Being nice to people goes a long way

I tried to buy from/thru our local dealer, but found a great deal on an ideal used boat from the next closest dealer vs compromising on my boat purchase. I've spent several 000s with our local dealer before & since on gear, maintenance & parts. I always give them the first opportunity to fulfill my needs and have a good relationship with the guys in the shop & store.

That said, I do my research before going in & won't be taken advantage of - If they're within 20% or so of a price I can easily find at SkiDim, Wiley's or Overtons, I'll readily buy from them - if they're 100% over, I'll tell them & buy it elsewhere.

Perhaps the correct answer should have been 'The boat was bought from you". If they can't trace it back that it wasn't you that bought it, they need to clean up their record keeping. Granted - It's not entirely truthful since you didn't buy the boat from them, but the boat was bought from them at one time.

Edited by wienrdog

Just be thankful you didn't buy your boat from Bridge City Watersports, you might not have gotten it back when you dropped it off for service.

i did the un thinkable... in the malibu world...I bought from the US when I live in canada. yes I did give the dealer here all the shots they could take but I found exactly what I wanted at a huge discount in the US and they could not match. However I have to this point given them a bunch of work on the boat ontop of service and warranty. I fully understand the dealer was or is not happy with me however i am a human and saving what i saved I had to do what i did.

I fully expect to be down the list as it relates to being a priority because of this, even after spending a ton on money on add ons. But i have to say that with my dealer i have built a relationship with the service manager and I get great service. Actualy I get fantastic service as I think they appreciate the business I am giving them now. I respect and understand his position on charging me a little more for labor rates over a guy who bought the boat from him.

he is looking after me so well that I think my next malibu will definately be bought through him....how wierd is that?

hopefully they will look after me for the next 3 years.........or so

I don’t have to worry about being on any list with my dealer at the shop. I do most of my own maintenance so I’m always first in line. Well, that is after the lawn is mowed, hedges are trimmed, and the wife’s “honey-do” list is caught up. Come to think of it I have a hard time scheduling myself to do my own work. Bummer!

Going to have to give it up to Central Texas Water Sports again. I didn't buy my '09 VTX from them, but they've been 100% awesome when it comes to warranty work on the boat.

Some dealers behave really badly when it comes to warranty work if you didn't buy their boat. I think this is nothing short of awful and can't BELIEVE Malibu lets dealers get away with that kind of crap.

I have no problem with a dealer putting their customers towards the front, but don't give me a hard time because I had the temerity to move (!) after I bought a boat.

Fortunately, as I said, no trouble at ALL from CTWS. Class acts all the way.

I am new to the malibu boat thing as I just got mine about 3 weeks ago (Had a Yamaha AR230 before) And the dealer really does have you cause there is not many dealers that close by so I learned really quick I better stay on the service managers good side (Bring 12 pack when picking up) With my Yamaha dealers were close by so they really had to compete. I would also let mom and pop shops work on my Yamaha cause its a basic jet boat but I would not let them work on my new LSV.

So they really do have you. I am lucky I called all over got a price and brought it to the local guy and he beat it to earn my business at the same time I wanted to go through him cause I knew they would be the ones I had to work with down the line.

My place has a differnt labor rate on weather you bought the boat here or not.

I also still think its rude to act like that on the phone he could have explained the policys better simply stating that people who bought boats there are VIP's.