Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Broke my right ankle wakeboarding

ds53652

Broke my right ankle July 28th wakeboarding. Wasn't attempting to do anything big or crazy, was actually just coming back into the center and over the port side wake (toe-sided). I can't even begin to tell you what happened, all I know is I fell and it hurt like hell. This was my first year to wakeboard really. Last year I did it once on a friend's boat/board and prior to that I'd probably done it 3-4 times over a span of 5 years. I was just starting to feel somewhat comfortable with jumping into the center of the wake(s) and was hoping to go wake-to-wake by end of the season. I could carve pretty hard, both toe side and heel side and actually felt more comfortable jumping the port side wake (toe-sided).

So now I'm looking at 3 months on crutches with a mix of cast and boot and some physical therapy. And now I'm seriously considering never wakeboarding again. It just doesn't seem worth it, ya know?

If others have been as unfortunate, I'd love to hear how it happened, how you feel about WBing now, do you do anything different now, etc, etc.

:(

Edited by ds53652
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WakeGirl

• Bill_AirJunky

• skyskier

• ds53652

Broke my right ankle July 28th wakeboarding. Wasn't attempting to do anything big or crazy, was actually just coming back into the center and over the port side wake (toe-sided). I can't even begin to tell you what happened, all I know is I fell and it hurt like hell. This was my first year to wakeboard really. Last year I did it once on a friend's boat/board and prior to that I'd probably done it 3-4 times over a span of 5 years. I was just starting to feel somewhat comfortable with jumping into the center of the wake(s) and was hoping to go wake-to-wake by end of the season. I could carve pretty hard, both toe side and heel side and actually felt more comfortable jumping the port side wake (toe-sided).

So now I'm looking at 3 months on crutches with a mix of cast and boot and some physical therapy. And now I'm seriously considering never wakeboarding again. It just doesn't seem worth it, ya know?

If others have been as unfortunate, I'd love to hear how it happened, how you feel about WBing now, do you do anything different now, etc, etc.

Don't give up on wakeboarding or you'll regret it! Injuries are part of any sport. Things just happen sometimes. I've never had anything serious happen to me. I've fractured my foot, broke a couple ribs, and strained a lot of muscles. I think these injuries help make you into a better rider. You'll appreciate the sport more and more importantly you'll know what not to do next time! Wakeboarding is one of the most rewarding sports I've ever taken part in. Get rehabbed and get back out there as soon as you can!!!

I've taken a bunch of spills where just 1 foot comes out of the bindings. The board twists pretty hard on my other foot but my bindings are a little loose and that lets my foot have a little give. Sometimes I think that if my bindings were tighter then I may broken or severely sprained my ankles or knees. Sorry to hear about your situation, sounds kinda like a freak accident, have you thought about surfing? :biggrin:

Weird on the injury but I know how you feel. When I blew my ACL out wakeboarding 2 years ago I've only wakeboarded about 5 times since, 3 of those times were with the blown ACL. Just feels wierd since the surgery, strong but just don't feel it's worth it anymore. That's 6 months of BS to get back into fighting shape, no thanks.

Take up slalom skiing and wake-surfing. :) I rarely wakeboard anymore as the falls are just too violent. When I crash on my slalom ski, I'm usually pretty much laying on the water anyways and I just sortof skid out. Falls when wake-surfing are kinda fun. :)

My regular riding bud broke his ankle on a 540 a couple of months ago. He is an outlaw comp level rider. This is his first real injury in 6 years of wakeboarding. Every good wakeboarder I know (lots) has had a season ending injury at some point. Your injury was a freak thing. The bad stuff usually happens when you start learning spinning tricks and inverts.

Try hydrofoiling. You can learn spins and inverts without much risk of a serious injury.

Weird on the injury but I know how you feel. When I blew my ACL out wakeboarding 2 years ago I've only wakeboarded about 5 times since, 3 of those times were with the blown ACL. Just feels wierd since the surgery, strong but just don't feel it's worth it anymore. That's 6 months of BS to get back into fighting shape, no thanks.

Have you tried a foil? No stress on the ACL at all. Oh look, stewart has one for sale.

I tore two stomach muscles July 5 and thought I would rather be dead than the pain I was in, my first time back out was this past weekend, took it easy on sat and then left everything I had on the water Sun, and I felt like a million bucks. Some say I'm getting to old (36) for this stuff (my immediate family mostly) but I love it.

Snow skiing is probably my strongest sport and have had many, many injuries (some season ending and mostly in the terrain parks trying to hold my own with kids) but I love it and would never give it up. I guess it comes down to if you need it or not (WBing) if you don't move on to something else you feel comfortable with but if you do chalk it up as a oops or freak accident and get back out there. Get Welll soon and good luck!

We had a gal on the boat last summer who crashed wakeboarding & tweeked her leg pretty good. She seemed OK, just a little sore. The next day she was home, swimming in her own pool, jumped off the diving board & shattered her femur in like 7 places. Doc said the crash may have fractured it, and it just took one good jump to finish it off.

Get out there on anything & your bound to have crashes & injuries. No sane person likes getting hurt, but if you ride motorcycles, bikes, ski, snow board, wakeboard, hydrofoil, even crossing the street, you run the risk of being hurt occasionally. Just goes with the territory. Same with most any team sports. No pain, no gain.

Good luck in recovery!

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
MalibuNation

Tore my Achilles Tendon Memorial Day 2009 ... monster face plant ... it still hurts ... but I still ride.

Edited by MalibuNation

That's one of the things I don't understand with my accident. Both of my feet stayed in the bindings. I would expect this to happen if one foot came out and the board twisted with the one remaining in, but with both in, I just don't get it. :dontknow: And it's not like I'm terribly out of shape either. I am 41, I do smoke, but I'm 5'10" and 185lbs, play sand volleyball all of the time, run, well coordinated, etc, etc. Who knows....it just sux. 1st season with the new boat too!! Cut in half!! :badmood:

Oh yeah, we love surfin too! That's essentially what I'm leaning towards doing; just surfin and no WBing. But I do LOVE the challenge of WBing.

I've taken a bunch of spills where just 1 foot comes out of the bindings. The board twists pretty hard on my other foot but my bindings are a little loose and that lets my foot have a little give. Sometimes I think that if my bindings were tighter then I may broken or severely sprained my ankles or knees. Sorry to hear about your situation, sounds kinda like a freak accident, have you thought about surfing? :biggrin:

Thanks for the pep talk, I really do appreciate it. I just wish I knew what I did to cause it, that's the only thing that scares me.

Don't give up on wakeboarding or you'll regret it! Injuries are part of any sport. Things just happen sometimes. I've never had anything serious happen to me. I've fractured my foot, broke a couple ribs, and strained a lot of muscles. I think these injuries help make you into a better rider. You'll appreciate the sport more and more importantly you'll know what not to do next time! Wakeboarding is one of the most rewarding sports I've ever taken part in. Get rehabbed and get back out there as soon as you can!!!

I tore two stomach muscles July 5 and thought I would rather be dead than the pain I was in, my first time back out was this past weekend, took it easy on sat and then left everything I had on the water Sun, and I felt like a million bucks. Some say I'm getting to old (36) for this stuff (my immediate family mostly) but I love it.

Snow skiing is probably my strongest sport and have had many, many injuries (some season ending and mostly in the terrain parks trying to hold my own with kids) but I love it and would never give it up. I guess it comes down to if you need it or not (WBing) if you don't move on to something else you feel comfortable with but if you do chalk it up as a oops or freak accident and get back out there. Get Welll soon and good luck!

Thnx!!

Get out there on anything & your bound to have crashes & injuries. No sane person likes getting hurt, but if you ride motorcycles, bikes, ski, snow board, wakeboard, hydrofoil, even crossing the street, you run the risk of being hurt occasionally. Just goes with the territory. Same with most any team sports. No pain, no gain.

Good luck in recovery!

Very true. Thnx Sir!

martinarcher

Right on. I separated my shoulder this past winter jumping in a terrain park on a snowboard. Went up and ended up landing on my arm and then sliding down the mountain on top of it. I boarded the rest of the night holding it with my other arm and biting my lip. I went easy and tried not to crash on it again. It was way stupid and I could have messed it up way worse than it already was. I was back on the slopes in three weeks. It still hurt bad, but I just couldn't stay off my board. It made my ride very conservative until it was strong.

I would recommend getting back on the board, but take it easy until you start to "feel" it again.

Try barefooting. Seriously. I'm 41 and started that last year. The falls are at higher speed, but the most painful falls I've had are always wakeboarding. At higher speeds you can tuck and roll, but at wakeboarding speeds you just splat.

Try barefooting. Seriously. I'm 41 and started that last year. The falls are at higher speed, but the most painful falls I've had are always wakeboarding. At higher speeds you can tuck and roll, but at wakeboarding speeds you just splat.

I'm glad to hear that MB cause that is giong to be next years task (unless I can squeeze more money out of my wife for a suit) Than I will be tackling that in the fall. I got to be honest a fall at 44 mph (I'm about 240 lb.) doesn't sound like anything good is gonna come out of it :crazy:

Get back on the horse!! Rehab is going to be key, make sure you do EVERYTHING your PT tells you to.

I've been wakeboarding for roughly 12 years now. In that 12 years, I've had a concussion, several sprained ankles, and a blown apart knee in 2007 (ACL, MCL, and Meniscus). I was in rehab for 6 months and I worked my A$$ off! Did everything the PT said and did it with authority. Today I can get out there and ride with no worries and without a brace as a crutch.

As most have said, injuries are part of living an active lifestyle, so get well, work hard in PT, and you'll be back out in no time! :thumbup:

That's one of the things I don't understand with my accident. Both of my feet stayed in the bindings. I would expect this to happen if one foot came out and the board twisted with the one remaining in, but with both in, I just don't get it. :dontknow: And it's not like I'm terribly out of shape either. I am 41, I do smoke, but I'm 5'10" and 185lbs, play sand volleyball all of the time, run, well coordinated, etc, etc. Who knows....it just sux. 1st season with the new boat too!! Cut in half!! :badmood:

Oh yeah, we love surfin too! That's essentially what I'm leaning towards doing; just surfin and no WBing. But I do LOVE the challenge of WBing.

I fractured my right fibula off a double-up. When I hit it, I immediately felt off-balance so I let go of the handle. What happens is that the nose of the board can dig in and cause your foot to bend inward. I stayed in my bindings as well. What's really dangerous is if you ride with loose bindings and only one foot comes out. Easy way to torque the knee or spiral fracture of tib/fib.

I was in an aircast from June 13th thru August 2nd. Back on the water now and my toeside edge is really weak. I couldnt wait to get back on the water. I will continue to wakeboard. Love it and the reason I bought my Malibu.

since you have just started boarding, you wont be loosing much if you leave it for something with less impact. take up skating or surfing. not injury proof, but much less likely. that's what some of us old guys have resorted to. i only WB when I "have to" anymore.

One question? What sport or activate can we do that we do not run a risk of being hurt? Motor on and deal with liefs slaps... Or life will be incredibly boring. (JMHO)

I have just read through the entire post, I will agree with most that you need to get back on the board. I am 42 and working on a tantrum. I have also been hurt two out of the past three years. One sprained ankle on a ski, (surgery required) two years ago, one sprained ankle last year did the rehab as soon as I could move my foot and avoided surgery. You will get slapped around by the water a bit but landing a tantrum (did that quite a bit last year before the injury) is a great feeling, as is adding any new trick. My son has just stareted grabbing his board on W2W at 14. The smile on his face was evident 75' back. Keep going get back on the board and remember you can still swim and enjoy the Bu' while others ride and ski.

And remember Old Guys Rule!!!

I fractured my right fibula off a double-up. When I hit it, I immediately felt off-balance so I let go of the handle. What happens is that the nose of the board can dig in and cause your foot to bend inward. I stayed in my bindings as well. What's really dangerous is if you ride with loose bindings and only one foot comes out. Easy way to torque the knee or spiral fracture of tib/fib.

I was in an aircast from June 13th thru August 2nd. Back on the water now and my toeside edge is really weak. I couldnt wait to get back on the water. I will continue to wakeboard. Love it and the reason I bought my Malibu.

Exactly what he did..spiral break of the right fibula.