Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

wake skating

stroker-ace

I have been skating for the past 2 seasons. Last year was the basics. This summer, I have been taking to it pretty good. No flips or shoves yet, but some small ollies, switch, revert, smiths, boardslides, etc.

Just thought I would post and see who is skating here. I never see anyone mention it. It is surf, surf, surf all day long here...Ya, I do that too, but it gets boring after a while...especially if you are the only goofy-footer on the boat.

If anyone has any input on boards, I would like to hear them. I have an old HL Scape 116cm and a LF Anthem 42". The Scape is like a skimer, very light, which makes it very slippery (in a good way), but very manageable. However, it is less boyant. The Anthem has all the grip and bounce, but the edges drag like hell and wear my back out with a quickness.

Ya, I know those are not top of the line boards, but whattayoudo? What are you other guys riding?

I have been skating for the past 2 seasons. Last year was the basics. This summer, I have been taking to it pretty good. No flips or shoves yet, but some small ollies, switch, revert, smiths, boardslides, etc.

Just thought I would post and see who is skating here. I never see anyone mention it. It is surf, surf, surf all day long here...Ya, I do that too, but it gets boring after a while...especially if you are the only goofy-footer on the boat.

If anyone has any input on boards, I would like to hear them. I have an old HL Scape 116cm and a LF Anthem 42". The Scape is like a skimer, very light, which makes it very slippery (in a good way), but very manageable. However, it is less boyant. The Anthem has all the grip and bounce, but the edges drag like hell and wear my back out with a quickness.

Ya, I know those are not top of the line boards, but whattayoudo? What are you other guys riding?

We just started this summer. My buddy got some HL (not sure which but it is 116cm, so may be the Scape). We all really liked not having to struggle with wakeboard boots! We couldn't figure out how to jump, but we did do surface 180s, butter slides and ollies. We had a blast!

Ya, I am an old skateboarder from the 80s-90s that is now in his mid 30's. I freaking love it, just like on pavement. It is so much less labor intensive than wakeboarding. Just grab a board, jump in and roll!

That HL I have is from like '05...one of the first skates IIRC. So you are probably riding something better by now. The Scape is thin like a skateboard. The Anthem is about 4 times as thick, which makes the edges grab and drag. It is more stable, but takes a lot more muscle and skill.

What I have been noticing lately by watching Fuel, is that riders are using different styles of boards for different disciplines. It is all a part of the evolution of a sport I guess.

Yeah surfing is a blast, but I need wakeboarding to keep me sane. I'm sure real surfing does, but wakesurfing just doesn't provide the outlet to go out and just let it rip. We wakeskate a little bit each year and it sounds like I'm right with you: ollies are decent but inconsistent, board and lip slides, reverts, surface 360s, etc. I relish the day I can get some pop off the wake (with the board still under me anyway). I'm riding a Hyperlite Catalyst. I prefer it to the big heavy (sometimes double decker) boards they are pushing now. Could you imagine missing a shove and catching one of those bast&rds in the shin??

Anyway, I think we'd skate more but it's just sooooooo hard to waste a flat day learning something new. It's fun, but i think I'll save my prime wakeskating days for a time when I don't have a boat that throws a killer wake :)

Skating is a lot of fun. We do spend 98% of our time surfing, but if we bring only one more board, it's usually the skate.

We have a 2008 LF Faction skate, which has been a good boat board to have. Everyone who's tried it gets up really easy and has a good time.

If you have the coin to spare, it's a great and easy addition to your rack. Or if you have been a skateboarder in the past and think you might be into it, give it a try.

But surfing is better. :P

Tried skating a few weeks ago, was a blast. (I'm an old skater from the 80's as well) but not ready to give up wake boarding & certainly not slalom, but was a nice change of pace for a few quick sets. I don't know which board I was on but it had a HUGE rocker and I could barely stay on the thing, was probably leaning back too far... I can see doing it more when (not if) my knees are toast.

I wakeskate some. I have an old LF Cassette - the first wakeskate.

Before that we would take the bindings off a small wakeboard and put surf wax on it.

I still skate barefoot.

Ya, it depends on how "serious" I am gonna get if I wear shoes or not. I wore shoes today for my epic runs of 180 shoves to faceplant. :crazy:

I did get my switch and revert dialed in a lot more stable today though.

We brought the speed down from 18mph to 16mph and it really softened the wipeouts. Made the board more manageable, but shortened the wake. We were riding at 50ft. I needed to be 5-10ft. closer at 16mph.

Still, lots of fun and more confidence on the water.

Oh, BTW, the skimmer doesnt like to air unless you land on the tail. It sinks like a rock on a flat landing. The LF Anthem was a lot less edgy at slower speeds and liked to jump and ollie a lot more.

...good times...

Used to always leaves scrape marks on the grip tape from my toenails.

Kinda like a manicure.

But now the grip is very worn and way more comfy.