Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Jet Ski defense

There has been plenty of discussion about the stupid things the jet ski riders do. Let's talk about how to defend against them and keep our riders safe.

There are two situations that worry me. I don't like it when a boat or JS is following directly behind my rider. Rider falls and gets run over, game over. I am also nervous when jet skiers are jumping my wake. They seem to completely focus their attention on the wake and pay no attention to the boat or rider.

Here are my thoughts, lets hear yours.

Fallen rider defense:

1) Turn off speed control and get the boat positioned between the fallen rider and the incoming JS as quickly as possible. Shout, wave, blow the horn. If you feel the need to be aggressive toward the JS operator,(I am not saying you should) remember you have a person in the water who is vulnerable. The rider needs to get out of the bindings at the first sign of trouble.

Rider still up:

1) Point directly at the jet skier or boat so they know who you are talking to and wave them away. That usually works for me if I can get their attention. When I point behind the boat, my crew and riders know what I am pointing at and why because we have had that discussion.

2) Change course. If the offender is still behind you, just turn around and go the other way. Not fun for the rider, but safe.

3) If they still don't get it, a more aggresive action would be to turn around and fall in behind them. It sends a message and puts you in a position where your rider is safe.

4) Always have a camera ready to snap a photo of their jackassery and their registration number. Put your local water cop's number on your speed dial.

Other ideas?

Release the Kraken.

Seriously, a camera goes a long way. They will issue a ticket based on your camera as long as they can make out reg numbers. One pick of the JS too close to you, the other taken when he is passing you by after you stop or are as you are chewing him out (close up of numbers). It takes all the guesswork out, and nobody's story carries more weight than the other's.

Just lay down a big power turn and see how good they are hitting a wake that big. I did a power turn Sunday in front of one of these jerks he hit it fast, and is still in the air without his sled. He kinda looked like his mouth or nose was bleeding from hitting the handle bars on the way down. Didn't see him the rest of the day.

Just lay down a big power turn and see how good they are hitting a wake that big. I did a power turn Sunday in front of one of these jerks he hit it fast, and is still in the air without his sled. He kinda looked like his mouth or nose was bleeding from hitting the handle bars on the way down. Didn't see him the rest of the day.

:whistle::clap::whistle:

Finally a use for power turns!

MalibuNation

From the subject line ... I've often wondered what to do if I thought I was in the water and a js was coming towards me. Try to take the life jacket off and try to dive down and protect my head? Pb couldn't get out of the ski/board boots in time. The ski/board would keep you floating ... but not head first ... maybe not a good idea.

From the subject line ... I've often wondered what to do if I thought I was in the water and a js was coming towards me. Try to take the life jacket off and try to dive down and protect my head? Pb couldn't get out of the ski/board boots in time. The ski/board would keep you floating ... but not head first ... maybe not a good idea.

I always figured I'd pull my knees up tight and face the board to the JS or boat, hoping it would help deflect me off it's hull. I hope I never find out.

One of the main reasons I like the WS420 with the loudspeakers, turn it up loud and issue a nice little arse chewing! Works every time...

Second!

Works like a charm. Even when I see other boaters experiencing the problem I'll help 'em out with my 3-Some!

One of the main reasons I like the WS420 with the loudspeakers, turn it up loud and issue a nice little arse chewing! Works every time...

Great idea! I have a 420, but I never thought about using it to ....um.....communicate with jet skiers. My "class clown" buddy did use the mic last weekend to announce that we had a rider entering the water and we would appreciate it if all boats would exit the area. Gotta love that guy.