Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

UPDATE: Gauge found....2001 Sunsetter cockpit Display not legible. Fading out.

I have heard that it can be replaced with a 400 dollar 4 gauge cluster but will that show everything that the current gauge does? Depth, water temp, engine temp, Oil pressure, etc?

If I put perfect pass in that spot how will I get my vitals?

I dont want to downgrade to a workable fix. Id rather upgrade to something better.

At this point I cant read it will enough to navigate through the screans.

Post up pics of what you have done or just explain it to me.

thanks

Edited by CHEYNESPUB

I have heard that it can be replaced with a 400 dollar 4 gauge cluster but will that show everything that the current gauge does? Depth, water temp, engine temp, Oil pressure, etc?

If I put perfect pass in that spot how will I get my vitals?

I dont want to downgrade to a workable fix. Id rather upgrade to something better.

At this point I cant read it will enough to navigate through the screans.

Post up pics of what you have done or just explain it to me.

thanks

search "MMDC" this has been brought up in the past, might be something there that will help.

So there is no other way to get depth with alarm, engine temp with alarm, etc? That gauge seams like a step down. Anywhere to buy used replacements?

They were only available for a few years so I think you'd be hard pressed to find a replacement. All you will loose is the depth finder, assuming that was actually in the gauge before anyway.

Alarms will still sound for low oil pressure, or high temp.

-Chris

They were only available for a few years so I think you'd be hard pressed to find a replacement. All you will loose is the depth finder, assuming that was actually in the gauge before anyway.

Alarms will still sound for low oil pressure, or high temp.

-Chris

Thanks for the info. That link for price is half of what the dealer quoted. ANy idea how hard it is to install?

Simple to install, 5 screws in total.

-Chris

Im still a little shocked that they did not make an equivalent replacement. The original owner paid extra for the digital edition upgrade just to get screwed out of the extra features after 150 hours.

Im still a little shocked that they did not make an equivalent replacement. The original owner paid extra for the digital edition upgrade just to get screwed out of the extra features after 150 hours.

If you search around for an Accu-ski gauge, it should be a direct replacement for the MSCAN gauge you're looking to replace. Honestly though, I'd just yank it in favor of the quad gauge. There are other gauges you can get to cover the data you're looking for. Here's the dash on our '01. I wonder if the Lowrance gauges would require you to install a new transducer. One of the gauges is a clock, hour meter, voltage meter, air temp, and water temp, and the other is depth.

104-0427_IMG.JPG

If you search around for an Accu-ski gauge, it should be a direct replacement for the MSCAN gauge you're looking to replace. Honestly though, I'd just yank it in favor of the quad gauge. There are other gauges you can get to cover the data you're looking for. Here's the dash on our '01. I wonder if the Lowrance gauges would require you to install a new transducer. One of the gauges is a clock, hour meter, voltage meter, air temp, and water temp, and the other is depth.

104-0427_IMG.JPG

Is the accu-ski gauge much more expensive compared to the setup you have going? I like the look of the all analog but Wich the side gauges matched the shape of the console. Thats funny my multi would be in the center not on the left. Unless you changed yours. Did you have the digital and have to change for the same fading I am seeing?

Thanks

Cheyne

Nope. Everything on that dash is as it came from the factory. We never opted for the MSCAN or Accu-ski. If your boat came with MSCAN, it's the middle gauge for symmetry's sake. I'm about 95% positive the Accu-ski 5" gauge is an exact replacement for the one you have that's fading. Of course, Accu-ski went out of business about 4 years ago too, so finding one of those might not be too easy. There are a couple Accu-ski systems on ski-it-again.com right now but one of those doesn't have the gauge you need and the other doesn't have pics. May be worth asking though.

Nope. Everything on that dash is as it came from the factory. We never opted for the MSCAN or Accu-ski. If your boat came with MSCAN, it's the middle gauge for symmetry's sake. I'm about 95% positive the Accu-ski 5" gauge is an exact replacement for the one you have that's fading. Of course, Accu-ski went out of business about 4 years ago too, so finding one of those might not be too easy. There are a couple Accu-ski systems on ski-it-again.com right now but one of those doesn't have the gauge you need and the other doesn't have pics. May be worth asking though.

Thanks again. So, I might have a cruise control on this boat that I was not aware of?

Thanks again. So, I might have a cruise control on this boat that I was not aware of?

Not likely.

found this on the medallion instrumentation website:

REPAIR ASSISTANCE

If you are in need of Medallion gauge repair for product manufactured in 1985 to present, (excluding Medallion II Series of gauges) call (231) 578-4754.

cervelo,

Thanks for the number. Do you think there is a possiblity that it can be repaired?

Another thought. If I got a perfect pass in there instead. Do any of the models offer the ability to read the vitals that the current gauge displays using the sensors already in place? Hence, is there an upgradable perfect pass gauge that can do everything I have and more.

The technology must be there.

Nope PP does not read engine vitals besides RPMs.

Give up on the darn digital display, its long gone and not worth the effort or money to replace.

it was a great gauge, besides the normal stuff it tracked fuel consumption, gave readout of how much fuel was left in the tank in gallon, lake and air temp. I would say it is worth fixing if the cost is not too great. If it last another 10 years after repair....

Oh it was cool but they just can not be found to replace, Medallion does not make them anymore and finding a NOS piece would be very difficult (I know Malibu does not have any). Added to the fact that almost everyone I've seen has a busted LCD, I'd cut my losses and move on.

Oh it was cool but they just can not be found to replace, Medallion does not make them anymore and finding a NOS piece would be very difficult (I know Malibu does not have any). Added to the fact that almost everyone I've seen has a busted LCD, I'd cut my losses and move on.

Bakes was able to find me a replacement for 800. I would jump on that if someone can tell me how to check if the rest of the components are in place to get cruise control working. I can still read in the current display where it says "cruise" I just dont know how to work it from there.

Also, the speedos are still not working right. Is there directions somewhere on how to service them?

It was optional to have accuski work from that gauge, you would still need the accuski system installed in the boat.

This would most likely include a control unit under the dash and a servo motor to run the throttle cable @ the engine. So make darn sure you have those components before spending that kind of coin.

-Chris

It was optional to have accuski work from that gauge, you would still need the accuski system installed in the boat.

This would most likely include a control unit under the dash and a servo motor to run the throttle cable @ the engine. So make darn sure you have those components before spending that kind of coin.

-Chris

Good though. I will look under the cowling again for the servo motor. if I cant find it. the 190 dollar gauge will work until PP in a year or so.