Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Questions

Guitarcarr

Ok,my girlfriend and I are thinking of buying a used ski boat. We have been looking around a lot and have test driven/waterskiied a few boats. We seem to like Malibu's the best so far. We have a price range of anything from 6-7000 to 25,000 depending on the hours and condition of the boat. What we are looking for is a slalom boat that is capable of doing some wakeboarding. But the boat should have a wake that is better for slalom skiing. We have a boat right now, and sometimes like to take 5-6 people out in it. The boat we but should be able to handle 5-6 people and SKI/WAKEBOARD AT THE SAME time if possible.

Can anyone point us in the right direction in what kind of malibu would suit our needs the best?

Regards!

Edited by Guitarcarr

Ok,my girlfriend and I are thinking of buying a used ski boat. We have been looking around a lot and have test driven/waterskiied a few boats. We seem to like Malibu's the best so far. We have a price range of anything from 6-7000 to 25,000 depending on the hours and condition of the boat. What we are looking for is a slalom boat that is capable of doing some wakeboarding. But the boat should have a wake that is better for slalom skiing. We have a boat right now, and sometimes like to take 5-6 people out in it. The boat we but should be able to handle 5-6 people and SKI/WAKEBOARD AT THE SAME time if possible.

Can anyone point us in the right direction in what kind of malibu would suit our needs the best?

Regards!

Models:

Echelon, Sunsetter, Response, Sportster

Years:

1994-2002

You will want to stick to the direct drive if you are a hard core slalom skiier. Any of these models should have the capability to utilize the wedge, which will give you a decent wakebaording wake.

With that said you should have no problem finding an appropirate boat that will meet your criteria.

Not sure what you locale is but here are some local to me:

http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/1839439009.html

http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/1841850766.html

An open bow Echelon LX (20') on the lower end of your price range toward the upper end a Response LXI (20.5'), 2002 Sunsetter LX on the diamond hull (21'), or a 99-04 Sunsetter LXI (21'8") with all do a very good slalom wake with intermediate wakeboard wakes properly weighted.

A DD wakesetter or I-ride may also fit the bill, but will not be a top level slalom boat.

-Chris

The Sunsetter is a very good slalom boat. With the wedge it throws a decent wake for boarding.

And welcome to the Crew!

Thanx for all the replies! I am guessing the Sunsetter is a non vdrive? I see alot of Vdrives for sale, and I also hear the don't make a good wake for slalom. Is that true?

Edited by Guitarcarr

The Sunsetter is a very good slalom boat. With the wedge it throws a decent wake for boarding.

And welcome to the Crew!

:plus1:

Thanx for all the replies! I am guessing the Sunsetter is a non vdrive? I see alot of Vdrives for sale, and I also hear the don't make a good wake for slalom. Is that true?

My cousin's 2001 Sunsetter LXi with the Diamond hull and wedge is great for boarding, slalom and footing and has plenty of room for friends and family(it's a direct drive).

Where about's are you located? Perhaps another crew member would know of a decent boat in your area.

Here's a pretty clean looking boat

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1999-Malibu-Sunsetter-LXi-97044253

Edited by areamike

Mostly true, yes. If you can find a 2001 - 2003 sunscape 21LSV on a diamond hull, thoes babies ski pretty well (for the size) and are a v-drive configuration. Should be in the upper end of your budget too. BUT, they wont ski as good as any of the other direct drives that were mentioned earlier.

If your typical crew size is 5-6 people, then Id go direct drive with an open bow - you'll be able to fit that many people in there no problem, have a good ski wake, and with ballast will have a petty good boarding wake too. If your typical crew is bigger than that then you might want to look at a v-drive, but you will sacrifice a very good ski wake for a moderately good ski wake and gain all the extra room, size, and larger boarding wake.

- Chad

:plus1:

My cousin's 2001 Sunsetter LXi with the Diamond hull and wedge is great for boarding, slalom and footing and has plenty of room for friends and family(it's a direct drive).

Where about's are you located? Perhaps another crew member would know of a decent boat in your area.

Here's a pretty clean looking boat

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1999-Malibu-Sunsetter-LXi-97044253

`

Thanx! We are in New Jersey.

Mostly true, yes. If you can find a 2001 - 2003 sunscape 21LSV on a diamond hull, thoes babies ski pretty well (for the size) and are a v-drive configuration. Should be in the upper end of your budget too. BUT, they wont ski as good as any of the other direct drives that were mentioned earlier.

If your typical crew size is 5-6 people, then Id go direct drive with an open bow - you'll be able to fit that many people in there no problem, have a good ski wake, and with ballast will have a petty good boarding wake too. If your typical crew is bigger than that then you might want to look at a v-drive, but you will sacrifice a very good ski wake for a moderately good ski wake and gain all the extra room, size, and larger boarding wake.

- Chad

So I guess Direct Drive is the way to go.

I see alot of Vdrives for sale, and I also hear the don't make a good wake for slalom. Is that true?

I have a 21' LSV - V drive. With the people in the right place, it has a very good slalom wake.

When I pull my son thru the course, he is at 36 MPH and 15' off. I have me and an observer, and usually 2 people in front. if there is a 5th person in the boat, they sit on the floor between the driver and observer.

He says the wake is good. He skied behind a Nautique at Purdue, and this is not to that level, but a good compromise.

When we wake board, we put everyone in the back seats and get as much wake as we can. No wedge yet - it is on the "to buy soon" list.

It depends a lot on what you mean by "slalom ski" - are you in open water or in the course? What line length.

If you are hard core and mostly ski in the course, go for the DD and compromise on the other stuff. If you are recreational and want a good slalom wake and a decent wakeboard boat, go for a Sunsetter or other V.

Edited by Soon2BV

So I guess Direct Drive is the way to go.

If slalom is a priority then yep, no question. 5-6 people is doable on a SLXI or SLX on the Echelon it'll be crapped w/ that many the front (bow) is a bit small and doesn't come w/ the bow filler cushion. If you put 500lbs up front in the ski locker and deploy the wedge both models produce a nice intermediate wakeboard wake. The model years that 99Response posted above are what I 'd recommend, keep in mind the '03-'04 years will be at the top of your $$ range and only offer minimal improvements in the interior, the hulls are the same for the SLXI from '99-'04.

I don't know much about the Sunsetter XTi's, but here's one in Connecticut.

http://www.boattrade...ER-XTI-97219702

It's on the diamond hull, but the sv25 not the coveted sv23. The beam is wider, heavier boat and a bit longer. A capable boat for slalom but not ideal imho and would certainly recommend you test before you buy. I wouldn't buy an XTI if I was serious about slalom...ymmv

It's on the diamond hull, but the sv25 not the coveted sv23. The beam is wider, heavier boat and a bit longer. A capable boat for slalom but not ideal imho and would certainly recommend you test before you buy. I wouldn't buy an XTI if I was serious about slalom...ymmv

We a recreational slalom skiers. Really just lookingfor a good slalom boat that can do the wakeboard thing too.

We'll best thing is to get out there and test to give yourself real world knowledge. The SLXI or SLX are great for what you've listed, you can try a 21LSV on the diamond hull as well. It's not a course worthy boat but but ok recreational skiing for some, though not something that I'd like to slalom behind. For that the Response is the only way to go....:)

All great advice but with 4-5 peeps the wake is gonna suffer no matter which boat

Again, thanx for all the replies. Was thinking more about 4-5 peeps while using the boat for tubes. I guess what we need is a DD with a tower for wakebaording and space up front for a couple of peeps.

Again, thanx for all the replies. Was thinking more about 4-5 peeps while using the boat for tubes. I guess what we need is a DD with a tower for wakebaording and space up front for a couple of peeps.

Sunsetter LXi would be perfect for you then.