Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone heard of boatpics.com?

mikeyg

Was out early yesterday and noticed a helicopter flying pretty low and circling. We got closer and the helicopter starts making passes by the boat while I was catching a set. Initially I didnt know what he was doing, but then I saw the guy snapping pictures. When I got home I went to their website and the deal is that you can request copies of the photos (for a $25 fee) and they mail them to you. No online previews. Their cheapest photo is $250 for a 16x20 print. A single digital file is $500. I think they got some great shots, but I'm disappointed in their business model. It would be nice for some online thumbnails. Even so, at $250, I dont think I'm a buyer unless I can frame it and put over our fireplace! Or maybe on the bedroom ceiling!

Was out early yesterday and noticed a helicopter flying pretty low and circling. We got closer and the helicopter starts making passes by the boat while I was catching a set. Initially I didnt know what he was doing, but then I saw the guy snapping pictures. When I got home I went to their website and the deal is that you can request copies of the photos (for a $25 fee) and they mail them to you. No online previews. Their cheapest photo is $250 for a 16x20 print. A single digital file is $500. I think they got some great shots, but I'm disappointed in their business model. It would be nice for some online thumbnails. Even so, at $250, I dont think I'm a buyer unless I can frame it and put over our fireplace! Or maybe on the bedroom ceiling!

I have heard of them, way to expensive in my mind, but then again my grandfather fly's so if I wanted an air shot I could probably line that up

My boat was buzzed and photographed by them last year. At 250.00 they were wasting their time. A satellite photo would be a different story. :)

The cost of flying a heli is much more than a fixed wing aircraft.

But, I still can't see where they get their prices. Someone must be buying them. Maybe they only shoot high end boats thinking that that's their clientele?

They shot us several years ago and sent proofs in the mail - I guess they found us through our registration number. They are good photos, and the free proofs are on my bulletin board still.