Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Do Malibu fuel pumps fail as often as MC?

TallRedRider

There are legions of discussions on the MC owners' website about fuel pump failures. The bottom line is that the fuel pump is vertically oriented in the gas tank and whenever you run low on gas, the pump is no longer submerged and overheats, then fails.

Why do I not see much discussion here about the same problem? Is the fuel tank designed differently on a Malibu?

There are legions of discussions on the MC owners' website about fuel pump failures. The bottom line is that the fuel pump is vertically oriented in the gas tank and whenever you run low on gas, the pump is no longer submerged and overheats, then fails.

Why do I not see much discussion here about the same problem? Is the fuel tank designed differently on a Malibu?

Having just spent some time and no money fixing my problem, I can tell you something. The fuel pickup on my '06 VLX is in the tank, leading to the fuel filter, and then the fuel pump mounted externally on the engine. I thought the pump was failing because of the tell-tale symptoms of high-pitched whine, engine bogging, etc. Based on instructions in a maintenance discussion, I disconnected the inlet side line from the pump, blasted carb cleaner throughout the small space and watched gobs of crud flush out. Replaced line, problem solved! I like cheap fixes.

Having just spent some time and no money fixing my problem, I can tell you something. The fuel pickup on my '06 VLX is in the tank, leading to the fuel filter, and then the fuel pump mounted externally on the engine. I thought the pump was failing because of the tell-tale symptoms of high-pitched whine, engine bogging, etc. Based on instructions in a maintenance discussion, I disconnected the inlet side line from the pump, blasted carb cleaner throughout the small space and watched gobs of crud flush out. Replaced line, problem solved! I like cheap fixes.

That would explain a lot...