Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Lack of power

I have a 08 VLX with the EXT monsoon, i've been adding more weight trying to get the wake dialed in but lately the boat doesn't seem to have the power it used to, so i upgraded to the OJ fusion prop. I've heard nothing but good things about these and it definatly seems to make a difference over the Acme 537 that came with the boat.

I picked up to new Fly High 750lb sacks this week and i'm pretty disappointed. the boat would not get on plane with my factory 3 tank ballast, the 2 750s in the locker and a 1200lb bow sac and 3 people in the boat (160lb rider) is this to be expected? we had to completly drain the factory ballast and just run the 2700lb sacs... i was expecting to be able to get closer to 4K with this set up, is that unreasonalbe?

also the boat has 250 hours on it, but has just had the normal maintance (oil changes, transmission service, impellors)

also since switching to the new prop i am burning quite a bit more gas, anyone else noticing this? we have about a 10 mile drive to our riding spot and this weekend I burnt close to a half tank just going up there and back, not including riding.... most of the time running between 3200 - 3400 RPMs

First which fusion prop did you get? The Acme 537 is a great all around prop and w/ the lower rpm's is better on gas than say the OJ 468 or 475. Problem as you found load up the factory ballast and a few peeps and it takes awhile to plane out. If you feel the prop isn't all that talk to your dealer for an exchange. Eric Johnson @ OJ can answer your questions, great guy. I run the OJ 468 and my rpm's are high but imho it's the only way to go to get the VLX out of the hole, the 475 is good and perhaps a better option since your travel a distance to ride. You have a trade off to deal w/, great lower end power vs. gas consumption.

Not sure why you need 4k of ballast, that is unreasonable imho unless perhaps a pro doing some high end tricks. Virtually w/ factory ballast and the wedge provides you w/ a platform that is perfect to preform virtually all tricks. Since you don't have the bow ballast option I do recommend loading up the factory ballast and adding about 2-300lbs up front and the wedge. I've loaded up mine w/ that weight just for kicks after surfing and really only the "lip" was harder but not really noticeably larger, all the work that it takes to set it up and the gas consumption rate is high and just waste of time. I'm guessing you like a more vertical wake given the use of 750's in the rear? Provided you have the power wedge I'd bump it up a couple of clicks this will steepen the wake w/o the need for all the rear transom weight.

First which fusion prop did you get? The Acme 537 is a great all around prop and w/ the lower rpm's is better on gas than say the OJ 468 or 475. Problem as you found load up the factory ballast and a few peeps and it takes awhile to plane out. If you feel the prop isn't all that talk to your dealer for an exchange. Eric Johnson @ OJ can answer your questions, great guy. I run the OJ 468 and my rpm's are high but imho it's the only way to go to get the VLX out of the hole, the 475 is good and perhaps a better option since your travel a distance to ride. You have a trade off to deal w/, great lower end power vs. gas consumption.

Not sure why you need 4k of ballast, that is unreasonable imho unless perhaps a pro doing some high end tricks. Virtually w/ factory ballast and the wedge provides you w/ a platform that is perfect to preform virtually all tricks. Since you don't have the bow ballast option I do recommend loading up the factory ballast and adding about 2-300lbs up front and the wedge. I've loaded up mine w/ that weight just for kicks after surfing and really only the "lip" was harder but not really noticeably larger, all the work that it takes to set it up and the gas consumption rate is high and just waste of time. I'm guessing you like a more vertical wake given the use of 750's in the rear? Provided you have the power wedge I'd bump it up a couple of clicks this will steepen the wake w/o the need for all the rear transom weight.

Well I'm definatly not a pro, but I do have a couple of guys that ride with me that are sponsored by some big name companies, and its that the face that you need that, but the bigger the wake is the more effortless everything is.

also unless i'm mistaken there is only 1 Fusion prop from OJ

Are you starting out with the wedge kicked back at all or in the full down position (assuming that you have the power wedge)?

Also, you just state that it's a Fusion prop, but not what size. That would probably be a helpful thing to know.

Well I'm definatly not a pro, but I do have a couple of guys that ride with me that are sponsored by some big name companies, and its that the face that you need that, but the bigger the wake is the more effortless everything is.

also unless i'm mistaken there is only 1 Fusion prop from OJ

I'm not sure if they make a variety of sizes or not for the Fusion, but w/o knowing the prop your running currently or the part #/dimensions it's tough to narrow it down. Suffice to say even if you get a prop that will get you on plane, your going to suck fuel down driving to your ride spot perhaps even more than you do now depending upon what diameter your fusion is. I'd still recommend talking w/ Eric @ OJ, he can recommend the best prop for your needs. While the weight makes things easier it doesn't supplant the need for technical skills. I see various accomplished sponsor riders behind stock weighted VLX's/X2 all the time as well. Again your faced w/ a problem of fuel consumption vs getting on plane. This is where the HH would be the engine of choice, but that's not an option, so lowering your prop is the only way to address your needs given that amount of weight or lower the added weight.

prop is at 14.25 X 14.5

we ride no wedge at all, but i do have the power wedge, riding with the wedge we can never get the wake to clean up beyond about 75' without the wedge we can ride 80-85ft and still have a nice clean wake...

I believe those prop specs its a cast of an OJ 475....unless you want to dump some weight prop down try the 468 stock and increase the cup size if you need customization. With this prop you'll run high rpm's so 20 mph would be about ~3,300 rpms, going lower will increase the rpms obviously. Where exactly you'll be able to plane out is probably some trial and error. I know my boat fully loaded w/ 13 people, full fuel and wedge I wouldn't want to add much more weight but the 468 does great getting out of the hole. No problems getting on plane either but w/ that configuration it takes almost full throttle to get up to speed.

So does the 4000lbs include all weight i.e. lead, sacks and stock ballast? With additional weight up front w/ the wedge I know it's clean 80' can't recall towing anyone 85' for awhile.

Hmmmm, well a couple of thoughts.

With as much weight as you're putting in the rear trunks, I'm assuming that you want a steep wake with a good lip?

First, I suspect that you're using too much weight for your speed, that's probably why the wake won't clean up past 75' when using the wedge. You didn't list what speed you're riding at & whether or not you've calibrated your speedo.

Second, if you're completely filling the rear bags, then I'm not surprised that you'd have a hard time planing out. That's a lot of weight in the stern, particularly if you have no bow tank.

This is a post by NvBoarder, he has an '06 that he has set up just the way that he likes.

Here is my setup I have two 40lb pop sacs stuffed in the nose just below the tank. I have about thirty five pounds stuffed in each pocket at the bow seats pushed back as far as possible towards the back of the boat another two pop sacs behind the drivers kick panel and two more in the passenger compartment. Then I have another two pop sacs below each of the two rear corner seats of the boat. I also have about 90 lbs in the factory cooler area to help offset the weight between the left side and right side of the boat since most people sit on the left side of the boat and that is where most of the storage area is (anchor, batteries, tool kit, etc). I don't put anything in the V-drive compartment because I need the storage for coolers, vest, food, etc. I have about 550 lbs of led spread out, most of it is towards the front of the boat because thats what our boat likes, it makes the wake very firm. Word of caution the nose of the boat can sit pretty low with that weight up front and acouple small people or one large person cause you to chilly dip the boat occasionally so the driver has to pay attention to that when you come off plane. Not a huge issue but something to think about. I normally use the wedge everytime I ride but it was not working right this last weekend and we rode with it up and the wake was still great. So either way this setup should work for most. Good luck and I hope this helps.

Now keep in mind a couple of things: 1) he has a bow tank, & 2) he uses his power wedge kicked back (can't remember how far offhand, I don't think that it's fully back though). I believe that with this setup he can ride at 80-85' with it still clean at 22-23mph. It makes a very, very firm, steep wake.

So here's what I would do:

1. If you haven't done so, calibrate your speedo using a gps.

2. Try replicating the setup above using the wedge.

3. If you still don't like the wedge, use the setup above plus fill those rear bags about halfway, not any more than that.

EDIT: One more thing. When we ripped the wedge off of our '06, we ran it for a few weeks with just weight while we waited for the wedge parts to come in. It is different for sure, replacing the wedge's function with weight. Very different & I can see how someone might have a strong preference for one over the other.

thanks for the advice, I will start out by trying to get a couple hundread LBs more in the bow and maybe a little less in the rear. I Wouldn't mind going a little lower on the prop, but i don't want to loose much in top end speed

I calibrate my speedo every month or so with GPS, and we normally ride at 24-26MPH And I've always ran the wedge in the all the way down position, I think my calibration is off on the wedge so that might be something I need to look into

thanks for the advice, I will start out by trying to get a couple hundread LBs more in the bow and maybe a little less in the rear. I Wouldn't mind going a little lower on the prop, but i don't want to loose much in top end speed

I calibrate my speedo every month or so with GPS, and we normally ride at 24-26MPH And I've always ran the wedge in the all the way down position, I think my calibration is off on the wedge so that might be something I need to look into

If that's off, that will make a pretty big difference.