Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Lesson Learned - I guess I DO actually have a snapping point.

JeffS

It just dawned on me after reading these posts that the jet skiers we dislike the most are the people who rent and the people who are on their friends jetskis. It would make sense that these are the ones that are clueless about etiquette or even the law. I guess, until now, I assumed when you see a jackass on a seadoo that he owns the seadoo but now I believe it belongs to someone else in almost all cases.

When you see someone minding the rules its probably the owner. And this is probably true in a lot of areas, not just water sports.

Another good point someone made here...I'm sure fisherman hate us! I never even thought of that to be honest but now its got me thinking.

Its like a chain of dislike, sometimes you just don't know where you're at on the chain and some of us think we're at the top.

Headin to Havasu in 3 days :yahoo:

i had my closest call last weekend. water was very choppy so we decided to let the people tube who wanted to tube. i had a rider fall off the tube and as i started to turn I see a waverunner running all out making a B-line for my floater. i drop the hammer and aim right at him,and put my boat between him and my tuber. he turns and i'm yelling at the top of my lungs at him, he came within 7 feet of my skier, scared her to death. I yelled so loud the boat patrol was towards the beach and actually heard me.

they chased the waverunner down, the guys was apologetic etc...said he didn't know the rules, and didn't want to do anything studpid on the waverunner because he has his 11 year old nephew on the runner...........ummm to late d%^%&%. if you don't know the rules, stay the hell off the water.

i had my closest call last weekend. water was very choppy so we decided to let the people tube who wanted to tube. i had a rider fall off the tube and as i started to turn I see a waverunner running all out making a B-line for my floater. i drop the hammer and aim right at him,and put my boat between him and my tuber. he turns and i'm yelling at the top of my lungs at him, he came within 7 feet of my skier, scared her to death. I yelled so loud the boat patrol was towards the beach and actually heard me.

they chased the waverunner down, the guys was apologetic etc...said he didn't know the rules, and didn't want to do anything studpid on the waverunner because he has his 11 year old nephew on the runner...........ummm to late d%^%&%. if you don't know the rules, stay the hell off the water.

...ignorance is no excuse...

I have had plenty of problems w jetskis and i swear everytime i get up on my board here comes another tuber. well recently a fellow wakesetter owner we have seen alot at the area we go to really pissed me off. i had a rider fall and right behind my rider comes the wakesetter he is to busy lookin at his rider jump to pay attention to mine in the water. so i floor my boat and head straight for him. it almost came to the point where it was let him hit my rider in the water or ram him but finally he looked forward missing my boat by 10 ft. and then he just waves. so im so pissed i cant even board. so the next week we see them again in the area. my wife gets out to board she falls i circle to pick her up and here comes this freakin boat again right at my boat. this time a woman is driving and no she is not lookin forward so i sit there w the my boat between my wife and them coming at us. finally she looks forward. they turn between us and the shore im probly 25 ft from shore. they were so close i swear i could have touched there boat. now i have had it i pull my wife in and i take off after them. they stop and i pull up and say what is your freaking problem i said you could have killed my wife or me. he says for me to shut up that he knows how to handle a 60,000 dollar boat and that by the way is paid for. now keep in mind he was wakeboarding he wasnt driving so of course i say wow i didnt know you could drive a boat while wakeboarding and i could care less how much you paid for your freakin boat my wifes life is pricless and the best thing you can do is keep the hell away from my boat. what made it even worse is none of my friends even backed me up except for one of there girlfriends.

What rule is that, the "don't run over a person in the water" rule? I would think everyone would know that rule without having to take a class

I'm really easy going. I'm old - guessing my age relative to the rest of this board is +10yrs. I live and let live. I've been around the block. I wasn't born yesterday. I've seen it all. You can't fix stupid. Everyone hates everyone if you let 'em vent long enough. I'm so NOT a newbie to boating... I'd rather stop and wait for you to be done being an idiot than participate in your event. Yada yada yada. At one point or another, I've said all these things quietly to myself, about other boaters.

Today - pulling my son. Not a small kid - full grown teenage kid. The only skiable stretch of water on the lake, lee shore on a windy-ish day. Rest of lake very chopped up. Not a lot of boats out - it just finished raining. We were catching some sets.

3 boys come on over - on 3 jetskis. No other boats in the area - so my wake was the only one to work with I guess. They criss cross behind me while my skier is 28 off. They do it once - I sit up above the windshield and shake my head signalling 'no' to them, as the 2nd and 3rd are crossing behind me.

2nd time, I cut hard left, let my skier come next to the boat and throttle down. They should get the message right?

Nope.

3rd time, my wife (spotter) yells to our son to pull hard and cut to shore as we were passing a public park area, and wait for us. He does. She pulls in the line.

I'm guessing these boys were 16 or so.

I learned that I guess I snap eventually.

What did they learn?

A DD ski boat can turn on a dime and come to a stop surprisingly fast. Nose to nose is fun when you weigh more than the little sh!t's comin' at ya'.

They also learned that unless you are on one of the hottest of new jetskis, with calm water and someplace to run to - you cannot outrun a ski boat. They were not on the hottest of new hardware. 1200's I later learned. Top speed - not fast enough. Water - not smooth enough. Lake - not big enough. Not for them anyway - I was fine.

They learned that there's no maneuver that they can do that I can't match, and they learned that I snap after three times of them not getting a basic message.

See? Lessons learned all around.

I found watersports heaven this weekend - Scioto River in Columbus, OH. Free to launch, decent ramp and parking. About a 4 mile run bridge to bridge of very smooth water. Slalom course too. As you pull in a huge sign reads: "NO JET SKIS *** NO TUBES". 85% of the boats on the river were inboard ski and wakeboard boats at a ratio of about 70% Malibu, 20% Nautiques, and 10% Mastercraft and the rest of the brands. I learned there is supposed to be a 22 ft limit as well. For those of you that want clean sets with like minded boat owners, this is awesome. Wish it was closer.

I have not had a jet ski issue before - in fact I would like to have an old-school stand-up one myself. But I know they can be annoying because most owners are not boaters and don't understand simple courtesy on the water.

I found watersports heaven this weekend - Scioto River in Columbus, OH. Free to launch, decent ramp and parking. About a 4 mile run bridge to bridge of very smooth water. Slalom course too. As you pull in a huge sign reads: "NO JET SKIS *** NO TUBES". 85% of the boats on the river were inboard ski and wakeboard boats at a ratio of about 70% Malibu, 20% Nautiques, and 10% Mastercraft and the rest of the brands. I learned there is supposed to be a 22 ft limit as well. For those of you that want clean sets with like minded boat owners, this is awesome. Wish it was closer.

I have not had a jet ski issue before - in fact I would like to have an old-school stand-up one myself. But I know they can be annoying because most owners are not boaters and don't understand simple courtesy on the water.

Um.......did you mean to post this in the Bu crew daydream thread?

Btw, I like those stand up jet skis too. I had one hit the side of my boat and it just went under and out the other side. Very little damage to the boat or ski. Good to know in case of a showdown. :)

Edited by skyskier
martinarcher

Now that sounds like a little slice of heaven! I wish it was closer to me too! Possible WOW spot for next years East Coast WOW?

Um.......did you mean to post this in the Bu crew daydream thread?

Btw, I like those stand up jet skis too. I had one hit the side of my boat and it just went under and out the other side. Very little damage to the boat or ski. Good to know in case of a showdown. :)

You had a jet ski hit your boat??? Wow! What about the driver? Was he hurt…from the accident or by you? That would definitely have been a 911 call.

That was in the early 90's when the stand up ski was the hot lick. The rider bailed when he saw what was coming. He was an employee who was too valuable to kill.

Edited by skyskier

I'd likely be there...

May search it out before... It's further than some closer lakes, but closer than the big lakes in KY, TN.

Edited by wienrdog