Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ronix Koal Wakesurf Repair

Cunningham1143

Anyone repaired the fiberglass on a Koal wakesurf board or similiar. Starting to get a few cracks and chips here and there... any recommendations? I have seen solarez mentioned, is that the way to go or anything else? Thanks.

Anyone repaired the fiberglass on a Koal wakesurf board or similiar. Starting to get a few cracks and chips here and there... any recommendations? I have seen solarez mentioned, is that the way to go or anything else? Thanks.

Basic Marine Fiberglass Resin repair kit should work. I got my stuff from Napa and it worked great. Just make sure you get some wetdry sandpaper so you can get back as much gloss as possible. Also, don't forget to clean out the cracks/chips so that the resin has a good surface to bond to.

I have a bunch of that from body work days on my old car. I thought the Blue Lake's were epoxy boards?

The blue lake is epoxy I think he thought you were telling the OP to use an epoxy kit on his fiberglass board.

• 1 year later...

I was just checking google for our indexing and found this old thread. Epoxy is a resin and is fiberglass is a reinforcement fabric and the two are typically used together. That is to say an epoxy board also has fiberglass they aren't mutually exclusive. The three main resins used in wakesurf boards are polyester, epoxy and vinylester. ALL of those resins need some form of reinforcement and those typically are fiberglass, carbon fiber and texalium (fiberglass with a super thin layer of aluminum on one side). There are some others like Kevlar, etc, but not often found at retail.

You can use an epoxy repair kit on ANY construction and that's always a good choice. You CAN'T use a polyester repair kit on an EPS core wakesurf board. That's the real issue, the core material. The styrenes in the polyester resin will melt an EPS foam core board that is typically used with epoxy and fiberglass construction. Epoxy doesn't have that issue and will stick just fine to epoxy or polyester resins and won't harm eps, polyurethane, divinycell, etc. When in doubt, use an epoxy based resin for repair.