Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Newbie with a 1989 Sunsetter

Pete89Malibu

Hey y'all...new to the forums but not new to boating. Two weeks ago, we purchased a 1989 Sunsetter and have loved every minute of taking it out since. Mechanically, the boat is sound. I think it just needs a thorough tune-up...it sat for a year before we bought it. There are two things it needs that I am unsure of where to find them:

1) The upholstery needs completely redone. I have seen Chee's name all over the board. Do y'all think he has original materials for an 89 Sunsetter? At first, we were unsure on what color to re-upholstery the interior with but, today, we decided to try and go with the original white/green/pink. It's very 80s-90s but, since it was factory, I would prefer keeping it as such. What's the best way to get in touch with Chee? Cell phone? Also, the rear of the boat has nice solid floors but the front floor, right in front of the ski hold is weak. So, I figure when I have the front seats out, I'll see what needs to be done. Hopefully the stringers are alright and it just needs floors. Anyone know if the 89's have fiberglass or wood stringers?

2) I need to have the exterior wet-sanded to bring back the factory shine on the gel-coat. I would attempt this myself but, I also don't want to burn through the gel-coat. That said, I would think the original Malibu sticker will need to be removed from the side of the boat. Are these reproduced or should I just plan on paying a sign shop to re-create them before having them removed?

Sorry...no pics yet but...rest assured...there will be before and after when this adventure starts.

Thanks and great to be here.

-Pete

89Sunsetter

Edited by Pete89Malibu

1) The upholstery needs completely redone. I have seen Chee's name all over the board. Do y'all think he has original materials for an 89 Sunsetter?

If your boat was built in Merced, he probably did your interior.

Are these reproduced or should I just plan on paying a sign shop to re-create them before having them removed?

This is the best website out there for finding OEM Malibu parts. You could do something custom from a sign shop but, if you're going with the original "pink" interior colors (they called it "Rosa" in the factory) I'd think you would want to keep the outside of the boat original too.

Welcome to the site.

If your boat was built in Merced, he probably did your interior.

This is the best website out there for finding OEM Malibu parts. You could do something custom from a sign shop but, if you're going with the original "pink" interior colors (they called it "Rosa" in the factory) I'd think you would want to keep the outside of the boat original too.

Welcome to the site.

Thanks for the quick reply. So should I just give him a call?

I found the site you posted...before I purchased the boat and could not find the original Sunsetter logos there. Since they seemed to have an extensive inventory of Malibu logos, I figured they probably weren't reproduced. Thanks for clearing up the color name and yes, you are correct, I do want to keep the outside original too.

Thanks,

-Pete

89Sunsetter

martinarcher

Pete,

I believe a sign company would be the way to go to redesign the original logos. You are right, removing them is the way to go to wetsand the boat.

Here's a project to check out. I don't think your boat will need near the work Rugger's did, but it wouldn't hurt to take a look. Rugger did an awesome job on his 87' Sunsetter and certainly brought it back from the dead...

http://www.themalibu...-from-the-dead/

Edited by martinarcher

Pete,

I believe a sign company would be the way to go to redesign the original logos. You are right, removing them is the way to go to wetsand the boat.

Here's a project to check out. I don't think your boat will need near the work Rugger's did, but it wouldn't hurt to take a look. Rugger did an awesome job on his 87' Sunsetter and certainly brought it back from the dead...

http://www.themalibu...-from-the-dead/

I found that link last night while searching for skins. I sooooo hope that I don't end up needing to fully restore the stringers like he did. The stringers in mine seem sound and the prior owner had the rear floors re-done and fiberglassed at some point. I know the front floors and bow area need re-doing.

Hopefully I will hear from Chee tomorrow about ordering skins.

Congrats. Love the classic Sunsetters. I'd certainly recommend Chee, and would also advise you to spend a few extra and get new foam with the vinyl (from him) -- if you're able to based on location. Really makes a difference. The old stuff was softer and thinner. I like the newer feel.... seems solid and durable. Essentially sitting in my 87 seat is the same as a 2010. Same stuff. Post pics and good luck.