Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

steering rattle when taking off

Nicvtx

hi all,

when we are wakeboarding and have the wedge down the steering rattles when we take off, also when we put it on the trailer it rattles like crazy and it is very loud!!

we got home last weekend to check the rudder to make sure it was tight and its vey loose, we can jiggle the rudder and it has heaps of play.

is any other peoples boats like this?

or is there a way i can fix this

nic

hi all,

when we are wakeboarding and have the wedge down the steering rattles when we take off, also when we put it on the trailer it rattles like crazy and it is very loud!!

we got home last weekend to check the rudder to make sure it was tight and its vey loose, we can jiggle the rudder and it has heaps of play.

is any other peoples boats like this?

or is there a way i can fix this

nic

It's normal under heavy load, it's the prop cavitating. The play in the rudder is not normal and might be amplifying the problem to the steering wheel. If you try and make sure your rudder is straight when you take off it almost always eliminates it.

Edited by 06vlx

Nice to know that other models than the vRide's do this. Your rudder play is worrisome, I have the same vibration but my rudder is solid. Member "Ruffdawg" did some mods to his steering column and had a thread on it. He felt some of the factory stuff was subpar.

They have a remedy for this if your boat is under warranty they may cover it. It is a counter weighted steering arm in 09 it became standard.

i went out to the boat just before to try and find out more about it, i got my mate to wiggle the rudder and i jumped in one of the rear hatches and watched the little arm move, the rudder and the 90degree arm off it is fine, im no expert with boots so im giving it my best. just after the 90degree arm there is a piston looking thing, we wiggled the rudder again and found that the rod inside it moves very freely, then i sat at the helm and my mate wiggled it again and the steering wheel did not move at all.

so this is where it starts to get technical for me, where the steering wheel comes down to the rack and pinion box under the dash, is it possible that maybe there is a gap between the rack and pinion?

last time we used the boat we had 5 people in the boat, with wedge 3 ballast tanks and 640ibs of extra weight.

ive been on a wakeboard schools 09 vlx with the 4 tanks power wedge and 800ibs of extra weight and the steering didnt rattle at all

I sold my 2005 to an Indmar mechanic. During the test ride he told me the rudder bearings were gone.......something I was completely unaware of. He told me I would feel the vibration in the steering wheel when I powered the boat onto the trailer, and he was right. When we pulled the boat he showed me the play in the rudder. Based on that experience, I would say you need a new bearing for sure.