Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hex head size for Illusion XS hoop - please confirm

Can someone please confirm the size of the hex head on the allen wrench used to remove the hoop on the illusion XS ? I read in a post that it is 3/8" but want to make sure before I buy a replacement tool. $25 for a 12" T-handle...yikes...

Can someone please confirm the size of the hex head on the allen wrench used to remove the hoop on the illusion XS ? I read in a post that it is 3/8" but want to make sure before I buy a replacement tool. $25 for a 12" T-handle...yikes...

Yes it's 3/8". I honestly don't think that T handle that was posted in that other thread will work. It doesn't have enough shaft on it. It only had 6" of working shaft.

Edited by 06vlx

looking at the link you provided I am not sure it will work. since that t-handle takes the 3/8" bit inserted into it that means the shaft has a larger diameter than 3/8". I put a shrink tubing on my bit to protect my tower and had to grind down the ridges of the hex key because there was no extra clearance in the hole. I doubt that shaft will fit in the standard hole. Has anyone tried to contact Malibu directly for these? Seeing people having such a hard time finding them I'd like to get a spare myself.

Brian

Yes it's 3/8". I honestly don't think that T handle that was posted in that other thread will work. It doesn't have enough shaft on it. It only had 6" of working shaft.

06 I found my key and have it all set up with a torque wrench and a 3/8 socket as well as some anti-seize. Just wondering if the bolt comes out when you loosen it off or does it stay in the tower. Its such a long allen key I can see the bolt staying in place and just being loosened off.

06 I found my key and have it all set up with a torque wrench and a 3/8 socket as well as some anti-seize. Just wondering if the bolt comes out when you loosen it off or does it stay in the tower. Its such a long allen key I can see the bolt staying in place and just being loosened off.

No the bolt does not come out of the hoop, it will stop before it does. Just be carefull on how far you try to unscrew it as I'm not exactly sure what is actually stopping the stainless bolt from coming out of the hoop. You can actually remove the hoop before the bolts will stop in the hoop.

Also another thing to watch out for is getting the antiseize on the interior. If you do get some on the interior wipe it off immediately. That stuff just keeps spreading and spreading and never seems to stop. Don't put to much antiseize on the threads or little globs will sometimes fall out when you remove the hoop.

No the bolt does not come out of the hoop, it will stop before it does. Just be carefull on how far you try to unscrew it as I'm not exactly sure what is actually stopping the stainless bolt from coming out of the hoop. You can actually remove the hoop before the bolts will stop in the hoop.

Also another thing to watch out for is getting the antiseize on the interior. If you do get some on the interior wipe it off immediately. That stuff just keeps spreading and spreading and never seems to stop. Don't put to much antiseize on the threads or little globs will sometimes fall out when you remove the hoop.

Thanks 06. I actually picked up Liquid Wrench lubricating spray with anti-seize compound. Almost looks like WD-40. I think that should do the trick? Good tip on the interior, I would have probably used to much and ended up getting some in the boat for sure!!

Thanks 06. I actually picked up Liquid Wrench lubricating spray with anti-seize compound. Almost looks like WD-40. I think that should do the trick? Good tip on the interior, I would have probably used to much and ended up getting some in the boat for sure!!

I honestly don't know how that stuff will work. Will it drip off the threads or does it become solid once it's on the threads?

An update for those interested....

I called another dealer in my area and he said they didn't have any but would call Malibu (Tim?), calls back an hour later and says that Metacraft went out of business and they didn't have any, which is what I was expecting to hear. About an hour before I called them I went on the Malibu website and asked the same question using the "contact us" form. I got a call back a few hours later saying they have the wrench (I think it was $15 w/ shipping) paid for it and it is apparently on it's way. Asked the guy 2x to confirm it is for the illusion XS tower...I'll report back on what I get in the mail but I am hoping I am all set.