Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

VLX vs 23 LSV wake

wakeboarder3780

I tried searching for "vlx lsv" but didn't find anything. For anyone that wakeboards have you ridden on both of these boats? I've done the hull research and I know for 04 (I'll be buying 04 or newer) the VLX was still on the SV23 wake where as the LSV was already on the V25 hull. (VLX followed suit the next year and got the v25 hull.

That being said, hull differences aside (since 05 and newer they had the same hull) - does the wake differ at all and if so how so? The only difference here is the extra 2 feet of length. I was just curious if the extra length affected the wake shape much if at all.

I've heard other people on other forums saying they think the VLX was a little better but I guess I'm curious if that's actually possible by just being 2' shorter than the LSV. In fact the LSV is a *heavier* boat so I guess I was assuming the wake would be a bit better on the LSV just by virtue of being a touch heavier.

Any input?

Edited by wakeboarder3780

From what I read when I bought my LSV, the LSV required a bit more weight, particularly in the front, to achieve the same type of wake. Either way, I went with the LSV because I wanted the extra room. I would decide how much room you want, when deciding between the two boats, not base it on the wake. If you are consistently taking out more than 6 people, you probably want the LSV. The wakes were nearly identical for me.

Edited by lib135

I tried searching for "vlx lsv" but didn't find anything. For anyone that wakeboards have you ridden on both of these boats? I've done the hull research and I know for 04 (I'll be buying 04 or newer) the VLX was still on the SV23 wake where as the LSV was already on the V25 hull. (VLX followed suit the next year and got the v25 hull.

That being said, hull differences aside (since 05 and newer they had the same hull) - does the wake differ at all and if so how so? The only difference here is the extra 2 feet of length. I was just curious if the extra length affected the wake shape much if at all.

I've heard other people on other forums saying they think the VLX was a little better but I guess I'm curious if that's actually possible by just being 2' shorter than the LSV. In fact the LSV is a *heavier* boat so I guess I was assuming the wake would be a bit better on the LSV just by virtue of being a touch heavier.

Any input?

The LSV hull changed again in 08', the VLX again in 09'. The LSV wake is a little wider but very similar in shape to me.

05' or newer on VLX or LSV have rear hard tanks under subfloor while 04' have them on side. Big difference in storage.. If you have waterfront home, VLX will be fine. If you spend long time in lake, LSV is better choice because of more roomy.. LSV is about $5-8K more than VLX (apple comparing to apple). I used to have 04 VLX.. I looked for 05 or newer but I ended up getting 08 LSV and Love it!!!

As for the comment on decide space first - I have and I am heavily leaning towards the LSV. I normally will only have 3-6 people out, however I know what it's like when all of a sudden everybody decides they want to go, and I don't want to have to turn people away just because I bought a smaller boat. I do have a large family and although I don't foresee the entire family going out at a given time, I would like the opportunity to get everyone out there if possible.

I will be living on the lake so perhaps I really could get away with a VLX but I think I would like the LSV "just in case".

I am just trying to verify that I won't be shooting myself in the foot wake wise by buying an LSV because when it comes down to it, I *would* sacrifice some room if I *knew* it would make the wake noticeably better.

I'm not a pro or anything but am very much in love with the sport and want to buy once and be happy. I don't want to have "what-if" thoughts later.

Thanks for the good insight on the 04 v 05 storage. I will try to find an 05 if at all possible and still within my budget. Anyone want to sell me yours end of next season? ;)

As for the comment on decide space first - I have and I am heavily leaning towards the LSV. I normally will only have 3-6 people out, however I know what it's like when all of a sudden everybody decides they want to go, and I don't want to have to turn people away just because I bought a smaller boat. I do have a large family and although I don't foresee the entire family going out at a given time, I would like the opportunity to get everyone out there if possible.

I will be living on the lake so perhaps I really could get away with a VLX but I think I would like the LSV "just in case".

I am just trying to verify that I won't be shooting myself in the foot wake wise by buying an LSV because when it comes down to it, I *would* sacrifice some room if I *knew* it would make the wake noticeably better.

I'm not a pro or anything but am very much in love with the sport and want to buy once and be happy. I don't want to have "what-if" thoughts later.

Thanks for the good insight on the 04 v 05 storage. I will try to find an 05 if at all possible and still within my budget. Anyone want to sell me yours end of next season? ;)

Where are you located? I know where there is a mint 06 23lsv owned by a pro baseball player for sale. What is your budget?

Edited by 06vlx

Where are you located? I know where there is a mint 06 23lsv owned by a pro baseball player for sale. What is your budget?

06 is probably going to be a little too new. 35k is about all we can muster. And we can't buy until this time *next* season. I'm guessing for 35k an 05 is all we could get. There are 3 04 LSVs on onlyinboards right now in that price range. So I'm guessing next year 05's will be about all i can afford. If the person you know is feeling like 35k might be reasonable I'd be all ears next year ;)

Edit: oh sorry forgot to post my location. I'm in WI but I'd drive anywhere in the lower 48 for the boat. Location is irrelevant to me, getting a nice boat in my price range is what matters to me.

Edited by wakeboarder3780

06 is probably going to be a little too new. 35k is about all we can muster. And we can't buy until this time *next* season. I'm guessing for 35k an 05 is all we could get. There are 3 04 LSVs on onlyinboards right now in that price range. So I'm guessing next year 05's will be about all i can afford. If the person you know is feeling like 35k might be reasonable I'd be all ears next year ;)

Edit: oh sorry forgot to post my location. I'm in WI but I'd drive anywhere in the lower 48 for the boat. Location is irrelevant to me, getting a nice boat in my price range is what matters to me.

He wouldn't go that low. I'll keep my eye open though, there are a ton of Bu's in the NW.

He wouldn't go that low. I'll keep my eye open though, there are a ton of Bu's in the NW.

Awesome that would be much appreciated! I know I'm looking early but who can really help themselves, they're so pretty!

Would anyone who knows bu's better than I care to comment on whether or not this time next year I'd be able to find an 05 LSV for said price range of 35k? Is the way I was thinking of getting an 05 next year for the same price an 04 is this year an accurate way of thinking?

Awesome that would be much appreciated! I know I'm looking early but who can really help themselves, they're so pretty!

Would anyone who knows bu's better than I care to comment on whether or not this time next year I'd be able to find an 05 LSV for said price range of 35k? Is the way I was thinking of getting an 05 next year for the same price an 04 is this year an accurate way of thinking?

With the pricing of the new boats, especially around here, the prediction is that the used boat market will get bump in value.

Ugh, I know many of you owners may want to see a bump in the used boat market, but not me. I hope to be buying next year, and these things are already expensive enough :lol:

I wouldn't expect to see a significant drop in prices on used v-drives. Compare 03's to 04's and see how they are doing. Once you get to a certain age, big feature differences between model years don't really amount to much dollar-wise on used sales. IE, if a boat changed from 04-05, the 03-04 price difference will still be relatively the same as 04-05 price difference.

There are always good deals to be had, especially in winter (esp winter in WI, when people can't imagine ever boating again :P), so if you don't find something this summer, keep looking through the winter, especially right before the holidays and late Jan/Feb when bills from the holidays come in. ;)

It sounds like you are talking yourself into an LSV. :) The LSV is heavier, but I think because of the larger size it mostly evens out. Unless you are a very advanced rider who is progressing into advanced aerials and 720+, you are not going to notice a difference between the two boats.

For surfing the biggest difference is that larger boats require more weight to produce a good wake. However, the wake behind my LSV is better than my last boat which was about the same length as the VLX.

The LSV hull changed again in 08', the VLX again in 09'. The LSV wake is a little wider but very similar in shape to me.

So was there a change on the 23' LVS hulls form 05 to 06. The specs page, under resources, says same weight same length but 05 had 24" draft 06 has 27"???

So was there a change on the 23' LVS hulls form 05 to 06. The specs page, under resources, says same weight same length but 05 had 24" draft 06 has 27"???

No same hull.