Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Manufacturing Locations

funkcity

When we bought our V-Ride new in 06 I was able to go up to Merced and get the grand tour and see them finishing and water testing our boat.

What a great experience!

Now I hear California manufacturing is no more for Malibu.... From the largest manufacturer in the state to nada!

How does this shipping cost impact pricing to the west coast? Kinda like buying a CC or MC?

Is R&D still done in Merced? They used to have a great R&D team...the 2011s seem to verify this but I thought I'd ask anyway.

BTW our 06 Monsoon-powered V-Ride has been flawless into our 5th summer and Tilly's Marine has been a terrific dealer from a sales, service and friendliness aspect!

FWIW... I miss the west coast angle. The employee-owned angle and all was spot-on! Times changed...pretty fast!

If sales are down, I'm sure Malibu didnt need two manufacturing plants. Loundon has undergone three expansions and it's more centrally located. And I'm sure the negative business climate in CA made the decision much easier.

Labor cost are a lot less in TN than in Ca that is a fact. More profit for the company and Malibu is all about profit.

Shipping what is the difference, it is passed right down to us the customer.

Malibu moved to a 10 hour 4 day production week, California labor laws would have required overtime. R and D is in Cali, all boat production is in Loudon.

Plant Tours are still available.

Take a survey of 10,000 business owners that sell a product on a national scale (not local businesses), and the product they produce or the mfr'ing process in any way involves emissions, unions, labor, epa, taxable capital equipment, regulation, oversight, hazardous materials, plastics, gases, fumes...or anything else that will prompt a state inspector to visit, and ask 1 question - "if you had a choice of where to put your manufacturing facility, would you in a million years pick California?"

I bet the votes would be overwhelmingly anti-California. I can't imagine any of them putting a manufacturing plant out there on purpose.

That state is really something. And I'm sure the decision to move boat manufacturing out of California was easier than the decision which water-cooler company to contract with in the office areas. No offense to intended to the California folks on the board.

Take a survey of 10,000 business owners that sell a product on a national scale (not local businesses), and the product they produce or the mfr'ing process in any way involves emissions, unions, labor, epa, taxable capital equipment, regulation, oversight, hazardous materials, plastics, gases, fumes...or anything else that will prompt a state inspector to visit, and ask 1 question - "if you had a choice of where to put your manufacturing facility, would you in a million years pick California?"

I bet the votes would be overwhelmingly anti-California. I can't imagine any of them putting a manufacturing plant out there on purpose.

That state is really something. And I'm sure the decision to move boat manufacturing out of California was easier than the decision which water-cooler company to contract with in the office areas. No offense to intended to the California folks on the board.

there may be good reasons to not manufacture in CA and I think those might be based on an accountant recommendation, other consideration would have to include quality of the available workforce and quality of life for the owner and employees, but as for the list you provided, i am not sure they are all relevant. Some of the items you list are good things; epa (federal), regulations on hazardous materials, plastics, gases, fumes...hopefully manufacturers building in the usa today are taking all those things into consideration.

but as for the list you provided, i am not sure they are all relevant. Some of the items you list are good things; epa (federal), regulations on hazardous materials, plastics, gases, fumes...hopefully manufacturers building in the usa today are taking all those things into consideration.

In my opinion, Cali is all alone - a republic unto themselves with epic manufacturing unfriendly regs and the folks who live and pay taxes there are paying a high price for those practices. And no - no other states have regs as unfriendly as the Cali's EPA and air resources board. The silliest of US Fed regulations plus ten buckets of uber-silliness = California EPA. At least that's how I view CA. My opinion is not that of anyone else, and I don't speak for anyone else. Just lil' ol' me.Innocent.gif

In my opinion, Cali is all alone - a republic unto themselves with epic manufacturing unfriendly regs and the folks who live and pay taxes there are paying a high price for those practices. And no - no other states have regs as unfriendly as the Cali's EPA and air resources board. The silliest of US Fed regulations plus ten buckets of uber-silliness = California EPA. At least that's how I view CA. My opinion is not that of anyone else, and I don't speak for anyone else. Just lil' ol' me.Innocent.gif

Being a Kalifornia resident and (former)business owner I certainly can see both sides of the coin.

YES, Kali is WAAAY more strict on pollution than anywhere in the nation, but is that really a bad thing?

I can get usually along with most any rule or reg if I can see the benefit to the safety of the worker or the environment...

HOWEVER... What really gripes me about Kali is how INCREDIBLY PC things have become. EXAMPLE: My wife is an elementary school teacher and she has been urged to NOT use red pen/pencil to correct kids work as it may offend the child and hurt their self esteem!!!! (???WTF???)

So here's what pissed me off in CA the other day. I walk into a local hardware store looking for a brass 90* fitting from hose barb to NPT. I find that they have a whole wall of plastic bins that would normally be full of these things but, they're all empty. I figure that they must have moved them. I ask a guy in the store where they might be and he says that they were all taken out of the store because they had lead in them. Apparently, there's a new law about this. He told me that they were supposed to be replaced by another product but, that was months ago and he hasn't seen or heard anything.

Thanks Cali.

Hose-Barb-1TBY4_AS01.JPG

So here's what pissed me off in CA the other day. I walk into a local hardware store looking for a brass 90* fitting from hose barb to NPT. I find that they have a whole wall of plastic bins that would normally be full of these things but, they're all empty. I figure that they must have moved them. I ask a guy in the store where they might be and he says that they were all taken out of the store because they had lead in them. Apparently, there's a new law about this. He told me that they were supposed to be replaced by another product but, that was months ago and he hasn't seen or heard anything.

Thanks Cali.

Hose-Barb-1TBY4_AS01.JPG

Regulators in Cali are some of the stupidest people I've ever dealt with!!!!!

there may be good reasons to not manufacture in CA and I think those might be based on an accountant recommendation, other consideration would have to include quality of the available workforce and quality of life for the owner and employees, but as for the list you provided, i am not sure they are all relevant. Some of the items you list are good things; epa (federal), regulations on hazardous materials, plastics, gases, fumes...hopefully manufacturers building in the usa today are taking all those things into consideration.

There was more to the decision to pull manufacturing out of Cali surrounding Jeff's reasoning than you'll ever believe Cervelo. Even if environmental regulations & tax implications (many of which exist at the state level that aren't in existence in other states) were the only reasons (and they weren't), it's a slam dunk to pull out of that state. And I'm not speculating on that statement.

Thanks Cali.

Hose-Barb-1TBY4_AS01.JPG

sorry to hear your fitting got caught in the law (AB1953) that came into effect in january, but CA isn't the only state that is implementing such a law and the law is designed to get lead out of fitting that are used for potable water.

http://www.uponor-usa.com/~/media/Files/Product%20Documents/LFBrsFitt_ProdG_9-09.aspx?sc_lang=en

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/How-To-Guides/What-is-California-s-AB1953-Law-and-How-Do-You-Prepare-for-It/30

There was more to the decision to pull manufacturing out of Cali surrounding Jeff's reasoning than you'll ever believe Cervelo. Even if environmental regulations & tax implications (many of which exist at the state level that aren't in existence in other states) were the only reasons (and they weren't), it's a slam dunk to pull out of that state. And I'm not speculating on that statement.

so the Axis isn't manufactured in CA then, as stated above?

That law has LOTS of HIGH DOLLAR homes with Kitchen and bathroom remodels going on hold as well. All the fancy faucets have not recognized this law (changed their products) and cannot be stocked by the warehouses...

Please take no offense anyone that lives in CA. An individual's responsibility is limited to who they voted for I guess. In my opinion, CA is legislating and regulating their way to be the cleanest most PC and poor state in the country. I can't imagine how they dig out of their current stock of problems.

so the Axis isn't manufactured in CA then, as stated above?

It may be, I don't know the answer to that. But as it relates to Malibu manufacturing (which was the original question, Axis is not Malibu), I visited the plant shortly after they halted manufacturing there & the reasoning I was given was very, very clear. State tax structure & environmental regulations were 2 of the biggest reasons that made them choose TN.

In a previous life my customers were large homebuilders. Night and day between California and the rest of the country related to materials requirements to the point of utter sillyness. No company in their right mind would locate manufacturing there when choosing a new location, and I am willing to bet statistics on manufacturing leaving the state are high.

sorry to hear your fitting got caught in the law (AB1953) that came into effect in january, but CA isn't the only state that is implementing such a law and the law is designed to get lead out of fitting that are used for potable water.

http://www.uponor-us...aspx?sc_lang=en

http://www.plumbersu...epare-for-It/30

Well thank God for ebay and all you peeps in Canada willing to ship, cause that's where I got them from.

BTW, this is going to be used for the cooling system in my motorcycle.