Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gas lift arms

There is one missing on the spotters seat back, and I want to add 2 to the engine cover. Can someone who has a skier measure the one on the spotters seat for me? And can someone who has a newer DD measure the length of one of the engine cover struts?

Also I'm thinking about trying to add a "Hood Latch" System so when I pull a latch under the dash my Engine cover pops up. I was thinking I would steal a hood latch and cable out of a old F150 at the junk yard or something... Anyway figured I would throw that out there in case someone has alread been through the trial and error.

Thanks

I think you'd need more than just the gas springs to get the engine lid to come up with a lever to release. I just replaced mine this spring, and the lid stays down until you lift it. The springs assist, but it will fall back down until you go past 1/2 way, then the springs will hold it up. Bought mine from Bakes, I don't know the length but they do. Which will affect the placement of the brackets on the floor for you. Your boat wasn't built with any?

I think you'd need more than just the gas springs to get the engine lid to come up with a lever to release. I just replaced mine this spring, and the lid stays down until you lift it. The springs assist, but it will fall back down until you go past 1/2 way, then the springs will hold it up. Bought mine from Bakes, I don't know the length but they do. Which will affect the placement of the brackets on the floor for you. Your boat wasn't built with any?

I dont think so, there are no brackets to support them.

I was thinking I would have to get a bit longer than stock to provide the pressure to life when the latch was realeased.

• 11 months later...

I replaced my engine hatch cover gas springs this week, I found a set for $4.99 ea plus shipping at https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=1-3589-50&catname=misc. The are a little stronger (50 lb) than the originals but do not seem too strong (at least for the engine side - not sure how they would work for the side compartments). I got tired of the engine hatch hitting me on the head - seems like it was always the aluminum hold down tab that hit me...