Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Charging Voltage

My 'bu volt meter reads 14.4 Volts, and I just had to replace ( luckily still under warranty ) the battery. It was getting HOT to the point it was steaming.

Wondering if someone here knows what is the recommended voltage?

I would like this battery to last a bit longer then 2 seasons

( BTW my dealer said anything between 12.5V and 15.5V is OK but this is a VERY wide range )

Thanks

BB

Sounds good. the range is large as the altinator will very based on load and engine speed You will see a lower voltage at idel with a heavy load and a better voltage at higher RPM's. Sounds like just a bad battery to me.

REW

15.5 seems really high to me, I don't think I've ever seen over 15 under any circumstances...??

That's the high side of the range, target is 14-14.5VDC under all loads.

• 3 weeks later...

With the engine running, and no accessories I am showing 12 at best, if I turn on the heater or shower it drops to 10 or 11. Is this an indication of a bad battery? or alternator issue?

Occasionally my perfect pass will drop out, like it doesn't have enough juice to run it.

should have 12.5+ at key up, 13+ while running, 14+ when running @ speed (say above 2500 rpms or so). I'll get 14.4, and a drop to 14.0 with stereo on. Had a similar issue at the beginning of the year and yes, it was my battery.

Bad, dirty or corroded connections is the 1st place I would look. Might try the battery next and lastly the alternator.

Where are you checking the voltage? Check it at the alternator terminals and see what you get. What does the battery read when the boat is off?

/Steve

With the engine running, and no accessories I am showing 12 at best, if I turn on the heater or shower it drops to 10 or 11. Is this an indication of a bad battery? or alternator issue?

Occasionally my perfect pass will drop out, like it doesn't have enough juice to run it.

Measure at the battery with a Volt-meter.

My gauge shows 13.1 most of the time when running, but shows 13.9 at the battery with a hand held meter.

(I've been thinking of re-running the battery wires (or at least an additional ground), but haven't found the time to do so yet).

Do clean the posts & clamps. The posts will oxidize nearly the same color & will make a difference. It does sound like your battery may be on the way out.

Measure at the battery with a Volt-meter.

My gauge shows 13.1 most of the time when running, but shows 13.9 at the battery with a hand held meter.

(I've been thinking of re-running the battery wires (or at least an additional ground), but haven't found the time to do so yet).

Do clean the posts & clamps. The posts will oxidize nearly the same color & will make a difference. It does sound like your battery may be on the way out.

The 'charged' range of a battery is very small. From http://www.batterystuff.com/tutorial_battery.html

State of Charge Voltage

100% 12.7

*75% 12.4

50% 12.2

25% 12.0

Discharged 11.9

That said, mine shows 14.4 when under way, and bottoms out around 12.5 when floating.

The 'charged' range of a battery is very small. From http://www.batterystuff.com/tutorial_battery.html

State of Charge Voltage

100% 12.7

*75% 12.4

50% 12.2

25% 12.0

Discharged 11.9

That said, mine shows 14.4 when under way, and bottoms out around 12.5 when floating.

Interesting, with my batteries combined my gauge often says 11.7 or 11.8 and it fires right up. I'll check at the actual battery terminals next time but there's obvious a loss of voltage reading in there somewhere...

Interesting, with my batteries combined my gauge often says 11.7 or 11.8 and it fires right up. I'll check at the actual battery terminals next time but there's obvious a loss of voltage reading in there somewhere...

That voltage doesn't surprise me if you don't ever charge your batteries off the water. I've got an onboard charger I plug in when I get home or take the boat off the water.