Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Random beeping noise

I have a 2002 Response LX with the Monsoon. When the boat is running at low RPMs I keep getting a warning beep. Generally it is two beeps then a cut off third. It usually stops when the RPMs come up. The oil pressure is fine although the gauge reading does bounce around, the temperature is fine and the battery/volts are fine. The boat runs fine and is strong. I know it isn't the perfect pass because I have heard it when the perfect pass was on and when it was off.

Any thoughts on what to check? Taking it to the dealer to get any codes checked is not an option right now.

Edited by Chef23

I have a 2002 Response LX with the Monsoon. When the boat is running at low RPMs I keep getting a warning beep. Generally it is two beeps then a cut off third. It usually stops when the RPMs come up. The oil pressure is fine although the gauge reading does bounce around, the temperature is fine and the battery/volts are fine. The boat runs fine and is strong. I know it isn't the perfect pass because I have heard it when the perfect pass was on and when it was off.

Any thoughts on what to check? Taking it to the dealer to get any codes checked is not an option right now.

It may just be a sensor malfunction. Be sure to check your transmission also. I have an 04' and when I put in a new impeller one time was too small to prime itself so would chime at me two times per 5 or 10 second when the temp gage would go over the normal level just as a precaution warning but when it got hot it would yell at me.

It may just be a sensor malfunction. Be sure to check your transmission also. I have an 04' and when I put in a new impeller one time was too small to prime itself so would chime at me two times per 5 or 10 second when the temp gage would go over the normal level just as a precaution warning but when it got hot it would yell at me.

What would I do to check the transmission besides making sure the fluid is good?

My first thought is good water flow. Check your impeller and water lines and make sure nothing is clogged.

I'll take a look at that tomorrow. I checked the transmission fluid, the oil both no problem. I have a new raw water pump with a new impeller so that should be fine but I will take a look to make sure.

The fact that this happens at low RPM and goes away at highr RPM, coupled with the beep pattern you descibe, and I'm going to say it's your oil pressure switch. I got the same beeping pattern when mine failed.

The oil pressure switch feeds a yes/no signal to the ECM as to whether or not you have 4 psi (I think) of oil pressure. You also have an oil pressure sending unit that feeds information to your dash gauge. They are independent of each other.

Right by your oil filter is where they are both located. On my 2002 Monsoon, the switch has a single brown wire connected to it.

The switch is about a $12.00 part and certainly a do-it-yourself install. If I were you, I would get a new one and install it to see if the beeping goes away before taking a trip to the dealer. I would bet a beer this is your problem. Remember, you need the switch, not the sending unit.

By the way, when mine failed, there were no stored codes when I took it to the dealer.

Edited by rts

I would check the transmission cooler for debris. On my response it is right after the water pump. Water flow is not as strong at low speed/rpm. I had an oil switch problem and beeping was constant, not intermittent. Those switches either work or they don't. I also had an intermittent beep and occasional overheat at low speed and figured out the previous owner had trashed an impellar and did not clean the transmission cooler. Always worth checking the cooler even if it doesn't solve your problem.

The fact that this happens at low RPM and goes away at highr RPM, coupled with the beep pattern you descibe, and I'm going to say it's your oil pressure switch. I got the same beeping pattern when mine failed.

The oil pressure switch feeds a yes/no signal to the ECM as to whether or not you have 4 psi (I think) of oil pressure. You also have an oil pressure sending unit that feeds information to your dash gauge. They are independent of each other.

Right by your oil filter is where they are both located. On my 2002 Monsoon, the switch has a single brown wire connected to it.

The switch is about a $12.00 part and certainly a do-it-yourself install. If I were you, I would get a new one and install it to see if the beeping goes away before taking a trip to the dealer. I would bet a beer this is your problem. Remember, you need the switch, not the sending unit.

By the way, when mine failed, there were no stored codes when I took it to the dealer.

You can just take the wire off the switch. If the beeping stops you know the switch is bad. The switches are open when good and closed(grounded) when they fail.

+1

I think RTS is spot on here, especially if this happens right as you come to idle after dropping a skier.

-Chris

You can just take the wire off the switch. If the beeping stops you know the switch is bad. The switches are open when good and closed(grounded) when they fail.

I did this and the beeping stopped. Where do I get the replacement switch now can I buy it at a NAPA store or from Skidim?

I did this and the beeping stopped. Where do I get the replacement switch now can I buy it at a NAPA store or from Skidim?

Don't know about NAPA but ski dim is sure to have or your local dealer. This is VERY comon.

I got mine at NAPA for $12. Take yours in and they can match it. Put some teflon tape on it and don't over tighten. Much more expensive at ski dim for the same part.

I had this same issue just the other day, I read this thread and disconnected the wire and the beeping went away. Okay, in my mind same issue. So I took the pipes off to get the unit off and took it to NAPA and had them try to match the unit. They could not.

So wanting to ski today I decided I would run with it a little longer and with it all apart I decided to clean it up and I sprayed down the inside of the switch with some brake fluid cleaner and then blew it out with my air compressor.

Well presto, Fixed the pressure switch. No more issue and I don't have to track down the part.

There must have been some built up gunk in there that caused the switch not to work and disassembling and cleaning seems to have worked. I know it is only $12 but without the part number or a way to get it soon, I would have paid $12 for the part, but the cleaning seems to have worked so I had a good run today.

Does anyone have the NAPA part number so I can buy it and have it in reserve?

One last thing I have to add is this place is a great resource, This is the second issue I have fixed based on information I have found here.

Thanks for the resource.

The other was the blocked fuel pump issue regarding the clogged inlet on the fuel pump, but that was on my old or should I say older boat. a 96 sunsetter.

Thanks to all that post here.

I had this same issue just the other day, I read this thread and disconnected the wire and the beeping went away. Okay, in my mind same issue. So I took the pipes off to get the unit off and took it to NAPA and had them try to match the unit. They could not.

So wanting to ski today I decided I would run with it a little longer and with it all apart I decided to clean it up and I sprayed down the inside of the switch with some brake fluid cleaner and then blew it out with my air compressor.

Well presto, Fixed the pressure switch. No more issue and I don't have to track down the part.

There must have been some built up gunk in there that caused the switch not to work and disassembling and cleaning seems to have worked. I know it is only $12 but without the part number or a way to get it soon, I would have paid $12 for the part, but the cleaning seems to have worked so I had a good run today.

Does anyone have the NAPA part number so I can buy it and have it in reserve?

Nice work. I've heard you can soak them in brake cleaner or even gasoline and clean them as well. Part number is OP6075 at NAPA.