Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Illusion XS - upper loop removal

old skool malibu

Due to the install of my new Bullet Hollowpoint Speakers I cannot get my Illusion XS tower on my 09 VTX low enough to get in my garage. The speaker hits the steering wheel as well as the top of the observers seat making the tow ball on the upper loop stick up pretty high. I was removing the steering wheel to get it in however I noticed on another thread that the upper loop of the tower is removable. Perhaps this may be an easier route to go. How easy is it to remove this part? I has a real quick look and didnt notice where the screws are located?

Due to the install of my new Bullet Hollowpoint Speakers I cannot get my Illusion XS tower on my 09 VTX low enough to get in my garage. The speaker hits the steering wheel as well as the top of the observers seat making the tow ball on the upper loop stick up pretty high. I was removing the steering wheel to get it in however I noticed on another thread that the upper loop of the tower is removable. Perhaps this may be an easier route to go. How easy is it to remove this part? I has a real quick look and didnt notice where the screws are located?

It's actually really easy, takes me about 5 min. Should be much faster than taking the steering wheel off. Look at the back of the hoop where it dives into the tower, you'll see a hole in each side. That is where you insert your long allen wrench to loosen the stainless allen bolt that secures it to the tower. You'll need a 3/8" deep socket to go over the exposed end of the allen wrench. This allen wrench is straight and about 12" long. This wrench should have come with your boat, if you don't have one in your paperwork get one from your dealer.

I take this off everytime I put the boat in the garage, which is evertime I take it out to use it. It is critical that you put some Anit-seize on the threads every few times you take the tower off/on because the bolts are stainless and the tower is cast aluminum and will gall and seize up. If this happens you'll need a major fix or new tower. You also need to torque the bolts to 50 ft lb when you install the hoop on the tower. Don't shortcut this step. Get a torque wrench if you don't have one, they are a good investment anyways.

It is easier to get the hoop off if you drop the tower first. Make sure you put something soft and squishy between the tower and the steering wheel. Also, are you tilting the steering wheel all the way down?

If you just remove the tow ball will that give you enough clearance? If I remember right, the tow ball is the highest part when the tower is down.

Is this a good time to mention the quick disconnect feature on the Exile speakers?

Thanks for the feedback. Yes I remember that long allen key ...I just have to find it now. I did look at the tow ball but not sure how easy that is to take off.. If I had a crystal ball I may have went for the quick disconnect Exiles, however the boat usually stays at the lake, only a few times a year does it come home to the garage. I like the permanent mounts of the Hollowpoints as they are not as easy to steal vs having to remove the Exiles everytime I leave the lake.

Edited by old skool malibu