Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ticking while startin

Just recently i have developed a ticking noise while the starter is turning over to crank the motor and it almost seems a little sluggish while cranking. It is a 92 skier with 5.7 Mercruiser. It has also developed a little bit of dieseling when shutting off from time to time. All of this started about the same time a few weeks ago. Any ideas on what to check and do you think the problem is related? I just replaced the starter and cylanoid towards the end of last summer. It does seem to be the starter that is ticking or clicking. Any suggestions?

You may have a weak or low battery? I would start there and check all the connections to ensure they are clean and tight. The "run on" may be caused by old dirty spark plugs or timing ? May just need a complete tune up.

You may have a weak or low battery? I would start there and check all the connections to ensure they are clean and tight. The "run on" may be caused by old dirty spark plugs or timing ? May just need a complete tune up.

The battery is new also. I will check the connections at the starter and have been meaning to replace plugs, wires cap and rotor. It's been almost 3 years since this has been done. I guess it is time. Hopefully this will cure the problem.

Thanks,

The battery is new also. I will check the connections at the starter and have been meaning to replace plugs, wires cap and rotor. It's been almost 3 years since this has been done. I guess it is time. Hopefully this will cure the problem.

Thanks,

I would do the tune up, make sure to replace your fuel filters also. My 93 Skier is doing the whole "run on" thing and I'm planning on checking the timing this weekend as I have already gone down the fuel / spark road.

Good luck

I would do the tune up, make sure to replace your fuel filters also. My 93 Skier is doing the whole "run on" thing and I'm planning on checking the timing this weekend as I have already gone down the fuel / spark road.

Good luck

Thanks, not real sure how to check the timing, but I'm sure I can find someone that knows about that.

Thanks

I think that’s just your jet engine pilot igniting the jet fuel for awesomeness. :rockon: All you need to do is hit the deck and bust the towers but be careful, the cornel is having his coffee. haha (topgun reference!)

I'm going to say that you either have the teeth wearing out on the starter or the flywheel. I would pull the starter out and check that first! First make sure the starter hasn't come loose too.....

If it is only when the starter is engaged, you might have a damaged tooth on either the flywheel or starter pinion. Dieseling can be caused by carbon deposits on or around the valves and combustion chamber. It is continuing to promote fuel burning when the ignition is shut off.

Could be electrical arc. Check for secure electrical connections at the starter as well as plug wires.

I would suggest the blower stay on at all times :crazy:

Haven't had a chance to check any of these yet as I was out of town all weekend. I do however leave the blower on at all times. Thanks for the replies.