Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

LS1 Engine

Hi all,

I recently purchased a 2004 RLXi with the LS1 (only 50 hrs!!). The engine runs marvelously but at about 3/4 throttle, there is a strange high pitched rattle coming from the engine. Once past 3/4 throttle it goes away. I burn only 93 octane. Anyone else hve this issue?

The engine looks pristine, except the metal straps holding the heat exchanger are rusting terribly. Does anyone else have this issue? Should replacement straps be purchased through Indmar or Malibu?

Ski on!

John

Not much to go on but I had a boat that had an odd noise at one throttle position it was the spark arrester or what looks like the air cleaner. Take it off for a sort run and check if it is the cause. Don't leave it off just confirm if it is the cause!

Hi all,

I recently purchased a 2004 RLXi with the LS1 (only 50 hrs!!). The engine runs marvelously but at about 3/4 throttle, there is a strange high pitched rattle coming from the engine. Once past 3/4 throttle it goes away. I burn only 93 octane. Anyone else hve this issue?

that high pitched makes me think fuel pump.

i'd have more confidence it the call if it occurred at lower rpm.

my fuel pump staving sounded kind of like an old dial-up modem hunting for sync.

You could be getting detonation and if so you need to find out why or you may have big problems!

With the engine running so smoothly at all other RPM ranges can it realistically be a detonation/timing issue?

This weekend I'll check the exact rpm range that it happens at.

Thanks,

John

With the engine running so smoothly at all other RPM ranges can it realistically be a detonation/timing issue?

Thanks,

John

It could even be low octane fuel, but checking the timing would be then something you can rule out.

Hi all,

The engine looks pristine, except the metal straps holding the heat exchanger are rusting terribly. Does anyone else have this issue? Should replacement straps be purchased through Indmar or Malibu?

Ski on!

John

e

I'm sure you eliminated prop singing and your exhaust. They can also make noise that sounds like its coming from the engine. Try the screw driver test. place it on different parts of the engine to determine the exact location of the noise.

Thanks,

John

It could be it may be most noticeable at an RPM range. It may not be this at all but it is very hard to diagnose from my seat without hearing it.

e

I'm sure you eliminated prop singing and your exhaust. They can also make noise that sounds like its coming from the engine. Try the screw driver test. place it on different parts of the engine to determine the exact location of the noise.

Not so fast!! I didn't eliminate "prop singing". What exactly is that?

John