Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Steering cable replacemt

My Steering cable became really stiff. I ordered a new cable. What is the best way to remove and replace the Steering cable? I have tried to pull it through from the helm end, but the rod end is stuck at the floor where every other possible cable and heater hose could be run through. Any suggestions?

Two people really help on this one and make sure the cable if fully retracted so the "rod" is the minimum length and tape it so it cant expand.

By no means is this a delicate job, it will require some encouragement to come out.

-Chris

I have done this twice. My riding buddy helped. One thing we found to make it easier was to remove the cup holder in front of the drivers side windshield and pull the cable threw there. We tried to pull it out from under the dash but the cable was so stiff it made it much more difficult. By pulling it threw the cup holder you can stand on the seat and pull with your whole body. Like he said tie a rope to it so you can pull the new one back through. We also wrap some heavy duty tape in the shape of a cone on the nut so it wouldn't get caught when we pulled it through. If it gets caught on something try pulling it back and forth and it will eventually come through.

When we removed it one of us would push on the one end while the other one pulled. Same thing when putting the new one in. Be patient this whole process will take an hour to do.