Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Has anyone rode behind a 2008 VLX and a 2009 VLX

liquidrider12

We owned an '06 & demoed an '09. IMO, the wakeboarding wake is really similar. The '09 is a bit less abrupt with a better transition. The bigger difference, again IMO, was the surf wake. You needed less weight to get the same or similar results, & putting the power wedge back doesn't wash out the wake the way that it does on the '05-'08 boats. Add in the improvement in handling & a myriad of other small changes & it's a better boat across the board. But if you're looking strictly at the differences in the wakeboarding wake, it isn't a big jump the way that '04 to '05 was.

Thanks for the reply. you mention the change from 04 hull to 05 hull what in your opinion was the biggest difference? I just sold my 03 vlx and am looking at an 09 or 10 vlx. Surfing is key to.

In terms of wake characteristics, I would have to say that the ability to change the wake to almost whatever you want based on the amount of weight, where you put it, & wedge position is probably the biggest difference. The '05-'08 is incredibly versatile in that regard, especially when equipped with either a floating wedge or power wedge (the floater works better on that hull IMO than the old fixed wedge). You can make it almost as steep & lippy as a Nautique from a few years ago, & almost as rampy & forgiving as a Mastercraft. The '09 is probably more so that way & the hull design works better with the power wedge, but I think that the jump between '04 & '05 was larger in that regard.

Been in and rode both. Here's my rundown.

09' is 2" wider but feels like more.

Wake is a bit wider on the 09' but there is no trough at the bottom of the wake, it's just a smooth transition.

Surf wake is much improved on the 09+ hull, with one 750# sac in the surf side locker and full mls you have a respectable wave, add another 400# under/on the seats surf side and it's legit. This is all regular side, goofy would probably be even better but didn't check that out.

Wider walkthrough in the 09' and that makes it really nice to add a sac there if you sac your boat out at all.

I liked the interior more on the 09', and it has the seat on the transom. 09' has the autowedge feature, very very nice and saves gas.

I prefer the XS tower over the X so that's another plus, the removable rear hoop on the XS kinda sucks if you keep your boat in the garage. The rear hoop sticks up a full 10"+ than the hoop on the X.

Off the top of my head that's about all I can think of.

Been in and rode both. Here's my rundown.

09' is 2" wider but feels like more.

Wake is a bit wider on the 09' but there is no trough at the bottom of the wake, it's just a smooth transition.

Surf wake is much improved on the 09+ hull, with one 750# sac in the surf side locker and full mls you have a respectable wave, add another 400# under/on the seats surf side and it's legit. This is all regular side, goofy would probably be even better but didn't check that out.

Wider walkthrough in the 09' and that makes it really nice to add a sac there if you sac your boat out at all.

I liked the interior more on the 09', and it has the seat on the transom. 09' has the autowedge feature, very very nice and saves gas.

I prefer the XS tower over the X so that's another plus, the removable rear hoop on the XS kinda sucks if you keep your boat in the garage. The rear hoop sticks up a full 10"+ than the hoop on the X.

Off the top of my head that's about all I can think of.

06- I am having a problem with height of the hoop but you mention it is removable...I took a real quick look last time out and didnt see how it attaches? Can you help, and how easy is it to remove?