Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

fuel filter replacement

Am assuming the fuel filter is attached to the fuel pump. I am hoping there is a way to remove the pump without having to lift the floor and take out part of the seat base.

any advice will be greatly appreciated.

thanks

bob

DSC_6669.jpg

A friend of mine just replaced the fuel pump assembly in his '07 LXI with a new Generation 3 pump and filter. I think he said these filters are good for the life of the pump. To get to your pump you have to remove that round plate with all the screws.

when your filter went out how did the boat respond. I thikn I have a fuel filter or pump problem but not sure. I was driving about 20mph and the boat just sputtered and I turned it off and it would not restart. It just cranked. Does that sound like a fule pump?

A friend of mine just replaced the fuel pump assembly in his '07 LXI with a new Generation 3 pump and filter. I think he said these filters are good for the life of the pump. To get to your pump you have to remove that round plate with all the screws.

dang, not the answer i was hoping for, how do i get the plastic cooler out so i can get at the screws that hold the seat base in place?

when your filter went out how did the boat respond. I thikn I have a fuel filter or pump problem but not sure. I was driving about 20mph and the boat just sputtered and I turned it off and it would not restart. It just cranked. Does that sound like a fule pump?

One day the boat had normal power, the next day it just felt like it didn't have the same power. no sputtering, just a slightly noticeable decrease in power.

Can you tell me how you got the rear seat off? Where are the screws located? How much did you have to take out? I am guessing just the back portion? All the way around to the cooler and to the gunwall or the port side?

Can you tell me how you got the rear seat off? Where are the screws located? How much did you have to take out? I am guessing just the back portion? All the way around to the cooler and to the gunwall or the port side?

The curved seat support at the back has to come off. there are 3 screws per side holding it to the back supports.

the floor has 2 screws holding it down.

the "sock" filters (2 of them) are brown in the picture but the new ones are as white as a new cotton t-shirt. they didn't seem plugged when i blew thru them though.

ok, now what?

DSC_6671.jpg

I'm anxiously awaiting the thrilling conclusion to this. But, isn't your boat a 2008? If so, isn't this still covered by your warranty?

I'm anxiously awaiting the thrilling conclusion to this. But, isn't your boat a 2008? If so, isn't this still covered by your warranty?

i don't think fuel filters are covered by warranty and right now i am a long way from the dealer. Anyway, the new filters have been installed and the boat has been put back together.

Those sock filters just pop off and the new ones are just pushed on.

for as dirty as they look in the photo, they were pretty easy to blow thru.

i don't think fuel filters are covered by warranty and right now i am a long way from the dealer. Anyway, the new filters have been installed and the boat has been put back together.

Are those "sock filters" the fuel filter? Or is the actual fuel filter somewhere else. Can you detail your last step of replacing the fuel filter? Thanks!

Edited by lib135

Are those "sock filters" the fuel filter? Or is the actual fuel filter somewhere else. Can you detail your last step of replacing the fuel filter? Thanks!

yes, those brown looking things are the fuel filters. the new ones are white. just grab one and kind of rotate it back and forth a bit while pulling it and it will come right off, repeat with other one. kinda like taking a cork out of a bottle by hand when the cork isn't in very far.

the new ones just push on.

that was the easiest part of the whole operation.

finding the screws in the carpet was the hardest.

yes, those brown looking things are the fuel filters. the new ones are white. just grab one and kind of rotate it back and forth a bit while pulling it and it will come right off, repeat with other one. kinda like taking a cork out of a bottle by hand when the cork isn't in very far.

the new ones just push on.

that was the easiest part of the whole operation.

finding the screws in the carpet was the hardest.

Do you have a part # for the fuel filter?

So, are the "socks" those 2 flat things on the bottom of the black bucket? Any idea how often they're supposed to be replaced? Also, did you have to order them from the dealer?

So, are the "socks" those 2 flat things on the bottom of the black bucket? Any idea how often they're supposed to be replaced? Also, did you have to order them from the dealer?

yes the socks are the 2 flat brown things on the bottom of the bucket. No, the dealer had them in stock, about $14.00 each.

yes the socks are the 2 flat brown things on the bottom of the bucket. No, the dealer had them in stock, about $14.00 each.

I guess I ought to do that this year. I have an '08 also with 300 hours and I've never changed my "socks".

I guess I ought to do that this year. I have an '08 also with 300 hours and I've never changed my "socks".

i have tried downloading the manual from the indmar site to see what the service interval on those are but my adobe pdf reader cannot open their manual because of a "drawing error"???

i have tried downloading the manual from the indmar site to see what the service interval on those are but my adobe pdf reader cannot open their manual because of a "drawing error"???

My service manual doesn't include the fuel filter in the maintenance schedule. It says the fuel system is under pressure and should only be serviced by an authorized dealer. It looked easy enough to me by your photos. I guess your boat is running fine now?

I talked to Malibu today and they said that the filter is part of the pump and doesn't require service. He also said the "socks" don't normally need to be changed.