Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Upgrade The Bu?

NorCaliBu

Ok, purely hypothetical situation here. Whistling.gif

Let's say that you own an entry level Malibu (maybe something like a Sportster LX) and you had $20K in an account waiting to be spent. Would you:

A) Sell the Sporty and upgrade to a Response LXi?

or

B) Keep the Sporty and go in with 2 or 3 other families on a houseboat on your favorite lake?

I don't want to hear about Wakesetters...blah, blah, blah,...my hypothetical person is a slalom skier. Biggrin.gif

what does this person and their family want more? A newer/bigger boat or to be able to spend time on a houseboat with friends? What are the advantages of both the HB and RLXi? Which one weighs more heavily? Is this "person" buying a HB with the other families or are they buying weeks on the HB like a time share?

I would go with the houseboat, you already have a perfectly capable boat plus you would now have two boat!!!

Which one weighs more heavily? Is this "person" buying a HB with the other families or are they buying weeks on the HB like a time share?

:unsure: I'm pretty sure a houseboat weighs more. :lol:

It would be a houseboat purchase, not a time-share.

Well if this so called hypothetical family, camped as much as your family do's.I would have to say buy a

WAKESETTER Thumbup.gifROFL.gif

Or the house boat. This hypothetical family would live only 30min from the HB.

How much time do you think you would be able to get on the HB each year? One thing to think about is how owning something with friends could affect the friendship. Some people have tried owning things with good friends and it turned out ruining the friendship and others have had great sucess. Its just something to think about.

Plus for the houseboat: then you don't have to launch and make a run to find good water. You're already there...

Plus for the RLXi: you get to enjoy your investment on many lakes.

Plus for the Wakesetter: more freeboard if that's an issue... Whistling.gif

Minus for the houseboat: you'd miss out on those great church revivals in the group camp... Crazy.gif (maybe that's a plus)

One thing to think about is how owning something with friends could affect the friendship......Its just something to think about.

That's actually the only thing that makes me hesitate about the HB. Err, I mean, that's what makes my hypothetical friend hesitate. Biggrin.gif

The only lake that I would buy a HB on would be Bullard's. Englebright's closer but the water is too cold for the kids most of the year. We're about 40 minutes from Bullard's and my Friday's are somewhat "flexible". Biggrin.gif So we could log a lot of week-ends, we'd just have to work out the schedule with the other families. The more I think about it, I think two other families would be max. Otherwise, there would be too many people wanting to use it.

Plus for the Wakesetter: more freeboard if that's an issue... Whistling.gif

Innocent.gif I'm sure that I don't know what you're talking about. Biggrin.gif

"Revival"? Is that what that was? A Russian Revival? I thought it was a Russian Amway seminar. :lol: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Guns.gif

Wish I had enough $$ to buy a HB all by myself. I hate debt. I have no car payments, no credit card debt,....I'll have to think about this more.

What about selling the Sporty, buying a gently used RLXI for under $30k & saving what you have left for something better? I would have serious reservations about going in on a purchase with friends for all of the reasons listed & more, but the main thing being that if I were good enough friends to do that with I'd be really worried about losing their friendship.

Mike, you know my feelings about houseboats. Tell your "friend" that his Sporty is in fine shape and no real reason to change. Unless he wants to move up to wakeboarding full time!! Tease2.gif

Just tell your "Friend" to be really careful about houseboat co-ownership. Nothing can ruin a good friendship faster than $$$$. IMO.

Good luck either way.

I can only go out on our lake so many times a year (I'm usually sick of it by the time the water warms Biggrin.gif ). Seriously though, 330 acres is pretty small, a couple of other boats out there and the water sux. That, and the point is to get away.... :)

If I hadn't skied behind a RLXi recently I wouldn't be wanting one so bad. That is small, soft wake there. Thumbup.gif

I'm just the picture of indecision. :unsure:

If it were me - I'd buy the bigger boat, lightly used. You'll have more space to spread out, more room to bring more family/friends.

Exploring new lakes, and traveling to where 'the Crew' happens to be, makes for lots of fun.

A HB would be fun, not sure I'd want to share with another family though.

That is the crux of the problem. If I could buy one outright without a partner(s) I'd be all over the HB. And if I upgrade the Bu it would definitely be a pre-owned RLXi. No way I'm dropping >$40K on a skiboat...the wife would Guns.gif me. She wants the HB though so.... :(

That is the crux of the problem. If I could buy one outright without a partner(s) I'd be all over the HB. And if I upgrade the Bu it would definitely be a pre-owned RLXi. No way I'm dropping >$40K on a skiboat...the wife would Guns.gif me. She wants the HB though so.... :(

I thought this was for a Tongue.gif hypothetical friend

Would it be a problem if it was only two familys buying in? and what about the HB being used by both of you every now and then?

Sounds like saving another year or 2 and buying one without partners is the thing to do.

I don't know if I could share a HB with someone. You wouldn't be able to have freinds over when you wanted or it would get awefully crowded. I know houseboats are expensive to maintain and there are many things that can go wrong and imagine trying to figure those things out. You will find that when things go wrong or need fixed, the partners don't have the money or didn't budget for it. Then it goes south fast.

We partnered on a large sailboat once. It lasted 3 months. It seems the partner was going to "maintain" the engine and ended up ruining it. He thought the replacement should be a shared cost. End of the day we bought him out(less the cost of the engine) and really didn't speak much since then.

Wait and then buy your own.

Houseboat, but I haven't haven't skied behind an RLXi, just make sure all shared responsibilities, money issues, how the boat will be used and a lot of other concerns that I am sure you will think of, are in writing. Treat it like a business transaction. Basing the deal on friendship is a recipe for disaster. If everything is in writing, not so much disaster. Over time your memory will differ from your friends and that is where the trouble will start.

Sounds like saving another year or 2 and buying one without partners is the thing to do.....Wait and then buy your own.

Probably good advice. Just hard to have enough $$ to upgrade the Bu and not do it. Biggrin.gif I'm weak. :lol:

Is the RLXi really a better boat than the sporty? Is there something in your level of use that makes the RLXi a better boat for what you do? A lot of discussion on this recently. If you feel the RLXi is 10-15K better boat for what you do( ie size, walk thru, better rough water ride, better wakes which could improve your performce etc) then it is a no brainer. If you are gonna use the RLXi exactly like you do the sporty and there are no other other factors, it seems like it is 10-15K spent to have a newer boat for appearance.

...time for a RLXi

Yahoo.gif Only one problem...

She (the wfie) wants the HB though so.... :(

Is the RLXi really a better boat than the sporty?  Is there something in your level of use that makes the RLXi a better boat for what you do?

A year or so ago I skied behind a RLXi that was loaded down with a tower, racks, boards, speakers,....and I didn't think the wake was that much better than my sporty. Just recently though I got to ski behind one without all of the wakeboard cr@p on it and the wake at 34 is truly impressive. Add to that a walk-thru open bow (the OB of the sporty is pretty useless) and the extra storage in a RLXi and the feature/benefit as it relates to price is OK by me. Also, if I started adding in the additional features found on a RLXi that I don't have on my Sporty (PP, a wedge, heater, shower...) the price difference isn't as great. I would not be buying for appearance sake, I really don't care what anyone else thinks of my boat. As long as it serves my needs... Thumbup.gif