Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

warranty items

ricnvic

has anyone taken there boat in for warranties issues? or made a list of things to get taken care of under warranty? Now that summer is over I have a few issues to have the dealer look at and I was wondering if anyone else has taken their boat in?

has anyone taken there boat in for warranties issues? or made a list of things to get taken care of under warranty? Now that summer is over I have a few issues to have the dealer look at and I was wondering if anyone else has taken their boat in?

I did that with the last boat & with the current one as well. I usually make a list of my concerns & then talk it over with them when I have them do the 20 hour service (this usually takes care of most of it - the first 10-20 hours is a good shakedown time). Beyond that, I let it pile up until it warrants pulling it over an hour to the dealer (I do the routine maintenance myself). What I can't fix myself, I just make sure that I get it taken care of before the first year is up. The biggest problem with waiting until the summer is over is that there are some things that you may need to be on the water to be sure of being fixed, so if you put your boat away for the winter it makes that part difficult.

What I can't fix myself, I just make sure that I get it taken care of before the first year is up.

Aren't the warranties 3 years bumper to bumper?

Wakegirl is correcto - Many items are 1 and 2 years. All elecronics (Malibu installed) are one year. I believe gel coat is two years. Engine and drive train are two, as I recall, and I think there is an hour limitation (300?) too. When you read the "lifetime hull" warranty (as my saleman described it), you will find out that the basic structural elemants (e.g. stringers) are covered, but not the entire hull by a long shot. My collapsing floor in my 04 VLX (whch I am still waiting for - 4 months later) is a 2 year item. Engine, transmission, v-drive is covered by their respective warranty, but you work through your dealer. Your warranty may be different than 2004 boats. My advice is to make a (written) list and take it in. Keep your lists and their respective dates. That gives you ability to extend the warranty period for items they have not repaired/replaced and continue giving you problems. Read your Owners Manual - warranty section. Biggrin.gif

The whole thing of having some items 1 year, some 2, some 3, etc... is annoying to me. Malibu needs to get it right and do what CC does, which I believe is just 3 years across the board.

Mike

I asked specifically when I bought my boat this spring about the warranty. I was told it is a bumper to bumper 3 warranty on everything. I'll double check with my salesperson.

Warranty items on my list for the next service.

1) Creaky floor

2) Wedge bolts rusting

3) new wedge foil as a result of #2

4) Carpet discoloration

Edited by Greg_S

warranty issues.

1. seats, the beading on the seams are coming apart.

2. the ski pole is very hard to extend.

3. rust coming out from under the diamond plate on the trailer.

4. the arm rest on drivers side is coming lose.

5. glove box door rubs and latch won't stay tight.

6. the carpet is stained and has hardened like dried glue.

7. the netting in the back compartment doors has come undone.

8. the middle ballest tank fills without turning it on.

9.tower rattles and needs spacer.

10. screws on underside of platform are loose and keep coming loose.

11. water in the bilge.

12. it steers to the right very bad.

13. the middle tank fills when you don't want it to.

14. the floor board above the gas tank creaks.

Here is a list of things that I have for my boat, some might sound nit picky but for the price we pay for our boats they should fix things like these, after all I didn't buy a Bayliner. Oh and I have the extended 6 year warranty, I hope that all this is covered.

Just for grins Biggrin.gif I went to Correct Craft site and read their warranty (for 2004, same as my 2004 VLX warranty so I could compare. I had always been told CC had "the best" warranty". Both have "lifetime" hull warranty" - but both talk about only the major components, like stringers. Engine - 3 year (same - goes back to engine mfr). CC touts a 5 years warranty on interior vinyl and interior components, (superior) but takes a lot away later when they restrict the warranty to 1 year on the stitching (the weak link). Also taken away (as does Bu) is the gelcoat - only a 1 year. Stereo components (factory installed) are 2 years (Bu is 1). Without a lengthy comparison (I need to do some work at the office to justify myself), CC has a slighlty better warranty than Bu, BUT - hull is the same, engine same, gelcoat same. They do wty the interior vinyl for 3 years, but take the most important portion (stitching) back. Closer than I thought. IMHO, the huge price difference they demand for the Nautique is not worth it. When I bought my Bu, I was at the January Boat Show here in Houston and the CC and Bu dealers were very close to each other. I spent an hour walking back and forth comparing very specific features of both boats and came to the conclusiion that the fit and finish of the Bu was superior to CC. Engine and drive train design, I think CC is ahead (at least in January of 2004). At the time, I was under the impression that CC had a far superior warranty (debucked, above). I could not justify the extra bucks (I remember a $70-75,000 price tag on the Nautique), and I bought my VLX for $50,000, all in.